• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which book scared you?

liktareadmore63 said:
Man, haha, when the priest was in the upstairs bedroom when the fella "woke up", in salems lot, i had to go into my living room from the bed room and turn on the lights, scared the hell out of me. the usse of dialog in that portion of the book was awesome, i think
I forgot about that part... yeah, that freaked me out, too.

Some more King scares:

The Shining - the woman in the bathtub
Pet Semetary - the ending
It - opening chapter, mentioned above
Dreamcatcher - the shitweasels

The Exorcist scared the crap out of me, even thought I'd already seen the movie many times. I love horror movies/books and don't scare easily, but that book...oyyyyy!! Don't read it if you're alone or if you're looking to get any sleep afterwards lol.

When I was younger I remember getting quite scared by The Silence of the Lambs. I'd seen the film but the way in which Harris described Clarice stumbling around the darkened house whilst the killer wore nightvision goggles really freaked me out.

When I was a kid, Goosebumps books creeped me out a lot. One I remember very well as just giving me the feeling someone was looking over my shoulder was Welcome to Dead House.

sirmyk said:
I forgot about that part... yeah, that freaked me out, too.

Some more King scares:

The Shining - the woman in the bathtub
Pet Semetary - the ending
It - opening chapter, mentioned above
Dreamcatcher - the shitweasels

Oh my god, don't even get me started on the bathtub scene from The Shining. When reading the book it didn't frighten me, but when I saw the film for the first time, it terrified me. My dad brought it home for my friend and I when we were in second grade, and when we were done, my friend ending up going home crying. I remember waking up in the middle of the night from a nightmare about that scene, and I was bawling my eyes out. Just a month ago I actually watched The Shining and it was my first time since that incident. It is my favorite horror film of all time.
I remember though, reading the book while staying up in the exact hotel used in the film. :D It definitely added to the creep factor.

jenngorham said:
it by stephen king. hate clowns, hate balloons, couldn't look down drains for months and months.

i would say the same..i'll never forget being in japan and waiting for stuart to come over (jenn, you went to pick up...what was her name??) and he knew i was reading that book....and he very quietly started opening the kitchen window form the outside...scared the shit outta me!!! :eek:

oh what was her name? sheila? she came to disney with us. anyway stuart the fucker, remember when he scared me after we'd watched that episode of x-files, squeeze i think? he shot his hand through the mail slot. scared the crap outta me!!!

god love him.

I had a friend who used to like to scare me like that, he doesn't anymore I put a stop to that :)

He came up behind me in the dark and grabbed me with his arm around my shoulders, well I in a panic sank my teeth in his arm. He still has a faint bit mark to this day.

lenny nero said:
The last book to really creep me out was A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons. It had me looking at shadows twice.

That's cool, it's on my to read list!! One that scared me that I've seen mentioned is Amityville Horror and also Pet Semetary. Those were both a long time ago though. It's been ages since I've read a book that's totally freaked me out.

Libre said:
Rosemary's Baby. Scary book, scary movie too.

Rosemary's baby was scary and I recently found out there was a sequel but I've not read it yet, have you?

Ha, ha, well close it's called Son of Rosemary, but nobody seems to have read it.

Son of Rosemary opens at the dawn of the new millennium - a time when human hope is shadowed by growing fear and uncertainty, and the world is in greatest need of a savior. It is here - against a glittering backdrop of New York City in 1999 - that Rosemary is reunited with her son. It is also here that the battle between good and evil will be played out on a global scale - a struggle that will have frightening, far-reaching consequences, not only for Rosemary and her son but for all humanity.

jeez @ you people, from this post alone, I have managed to add 8 more books to my TBR list....The Taking by Dean Koontz had me debating whether I wanted to get up and go to the kitchen in the dark....not that it was very scary, but something about not knowing what it is, creeped me out. Now, if anyone wants me, i'll be in my reading corner with one of the eight books, a very bright light, and probably some rosary beads!! :D

A book that scared me was called House of Bones, a point horror book.

adontbetonit.tripod.com_house_of_bones_cover.jpg
It's young John's first day in his first job at Blight, Simpson and Vane, an estate agency owned by Mr Vane. John thinks houses are happy places, where you can live happily-ever-after. He has no idea about the hidden forces inside Mr Vane's properties, but he's about to find out. When he witnesses one of his colleagues sucked into the walls of one of the houses his nightmare takes on new proportions...
House of Bones is a well plotted, milder version of 1989's Walkers, that relies heavily on the myths and legends surrounding the Druids for its entertainment value. It's also Masterton's first attempt at writing for a teenage horror market, as part of Scholastic's Point Horror Unleashed label.

It doesn't sound too scary in the plot, but its the way the writer describes when the main characters work friend is sucked into the wall. It scared me so much that I stayed away from the wall next to my bed for a week or two :eek:

Back