• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which Book Should I Read Next?

eldog

I have grabbed some books off the "1001 Books To Read Before You Die" list as well as some others that have been recommended here and was wondering what everyone thought I should read next from the pile.

Here is what I have:

The Colour -Rose Tremain
On Beauty - Zadie Smith
The Red Queen - Margaret Drabble
The Light Of Day - Graham Swift
Foreign Babes in Beijing - Rachel DeWoskin
The Bride Stripped Bare - Anon.
Last Exit To Brooklyn - Hubert Selby Jr
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
Perfume - Patrick Suskind
Cloudstreet - Tim Winton

Thanks

Lex

I have read only The Kite Runner and On Beauty. Both good, although to be fair, some critics found them contrived. Start reading either and I think you'll want to stay with them and see what happens. Interesting characters in both books.

I liked Perfume best of the books you listed, I have also read On Beauty and the Kite Runner off the list.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Looks like its "Kite Runner" followed by "On Beauty" then "Perfume".

I have about 90 pages left of "Last Exit To Brooklyn". It is an intesting read about a group of edgy characters sent in post-war New York. It is reminescent of "Blindness" in that there is very few paragraph breaks and inverted commas for conversations (although there are full stops!).

"Last Exit To Brooklyn" was written in 1957 and it's British publication was prosecuted for obscenity (it won its court case on appeal) and is part of the Bloomsbury Classic Reads collection.

I liked Perfume best of the books you listed, I have also read On Beauty and the Kite Runner off the list.

Hey Ronny,

How are you finding "The Naked Lunch"? I started reading it about a month ago and am about halfway through it but have put it down because it feels like one of those books that continuity isn't really a feature. So I guess that I will pick it up and put it down until I finish it.

Seems as if Mr Burroughs certainly had quite an imagination whenever he was under the influence of whatever drug he had in his possession! The amount of homosexual references was surprising... not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Back