• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

which genres do you read?

nelka35

Which genres do you read?

I realize that we all read from many different genres - which ones make the bulk of your reading?
Any qualifiers within the genre?

I am probably the only reader here who admits to reading romance. I read fantasy but not much sci fi, classics, modern fiction, children's books, poetry, non-fiction (esp. history.) and lots of magazines.

I am editor for a small press, so I am rather eclectic in what I read for that. Otherwise, I tend to read nonfiction - Archaeology Mag, National Geographic, ancient mythology books, gardening books, books on herbs - in short, most anything I can use in my writing in some way. I usually buy fantasy books, although I haven't been reading most of the authors mentioned here. I read ebooks, so many of the authors I read are new to publishing. And since most of the books haven't read been released, I can't even discuss them here. LOL I'm not sure I even know what I'm doing here.

I read: fiction, SF, fantasy, poetry. I can't really say I read more of one genre though because it depends on mood and what books catch my eye at whatever time. For a long while though I have been reading a lot less fantasy. I just feel fantasy is in very poor shape as a genre. It is very hard to find anything that is not a bloated trilogy(or more) and well written. These days I much prefer contemporary fantasy as written by the likes of Niel Gaiman and Charles De lint. I also like the magic realism genre. Im writing this just before bed and I am very sleepy. If this all makes even less sense than normal, you know why :) lol

i read only fiction, preference being given to crime ,thrillers and comedies like those of P G Wodehouse though i keep telling myself its high time to read some autobiographies. i am also into SF , fantasy and i like good comics.
i probably have read a little bit of everything but am not deeply into a specific genre

I know what "genre" you are into, you filthy monkey!!! I see you going into those stores buying that "stuff". I don't know what your mother would say about all this.

tsk tsk.

It's OK, I keep my silence!!!

SHAME on you, shame!

Can't believe you buy THOSE magazines!!!!

SHAME! FOR SHAME!

Who would believe you are into knitting?

:D

Regards
Sillywabbit

aaaaah i forgot that you had clairvoyance Ms Rowling:D
but i thought it wouldnt be to that extent that you could guess my secret hobby
a deal.... no more leaks about my (ahem) fascinations and i would send you my newest stitched petticoat

MMMMMM, ok then, that's a deal

And the petticoat better be nice and frilly, ok? Maybe with some lace bits on the hem.

Regards
Sillywabbit :D

Stages

The genres I prefer are mystery, suspence and classic romance but, I can read almost anything. I seem to go in stages. Right now, I'm in film adaptation stage so I'm reading Airport. However this will probably end with this book brecauseit is so long. I'm itching to read a mystery (Probably Laurie R. King's "Mary Russell" series)

I've read the first 4 of the Mary Russell & Sherlock series and like them quite a bit. It's been awhile though and I should get back to them. (thanks for reminding me). I hope you like the books if you do decide to start the series.

RaVeN

Mainly fiction for me.

Generally, I don't stick to one genre- it all gets kinda boring if you do that- why limit yourself to a particular type of book?

If I had to order it (this changes according to my mood): science-fiction, alternative history, crime/thiller, fantasy (the fairy tale aspect of it rather than the swords and sorcery), classics (when the big read was on, I was really guzzling these up)

I read fiction, and most of it tends to be fantasy, I have noticed recently! I also read older children's books (partly for research and partly because there are some cracking stories out there), and whatever genre you care to classify Stephen King as (actually, it really annoys me when he is classified as a horror writer only).

Originally posted by RaVeN
I've read the first 4 of the Mary Russell & Sherlock series and like them quite a bit. It's been awhile though and I should get back to them. (thanks for reminding me). I hope you like the books if you do decide to start the series.

RaVeN

Bought "Justice Hall" on the cheap a few weeks ago, I'll probably dip in after I finish the original Holmes. I'll let you know if I like it, I'm not much of a mystery reader generally.

I found out about these books on another website (LOVE Sherlock Holmes) so I had to give them a try. I've read "Beekeeper's Apprentice twice and will read AMROW for a second time next. I have put my foot down and will not go for a third try until done with series. I love 2 books I've read already enough so I've recommened them to my family and they are waaaay ahead of me (I keep finding other books to read :)

My main interests, genre-wise, seem to be mystery, some sci-fi and fantasy, non-fiction, some poetry, and literature.
I have read four of the Mary Russell books (or is it 5?) and liked the first best, though all were good. For those of you who find Mary appealing, you might like the Fremont Jones series by Dianne Day.
Wabbit, have you read Little,Big? Or 100 Years of Solitude? If you like magic-realism, I urge you to track down copies of Chuck Rosenthal's Loop's Progress and Experiments with Life and Deaf. I think they are marvelous examples of the genre.

I mainly read fantasy, though I do read some histroical fiction and general fiction every so often, and on the rare occaison I will read some horror or sci-fi

Originally posted by funes
My main interests, genre-wise, seem to be mystery, some sci-fi and fantasy, non-fiction, some poetry, and literature.
I have read four of the Mary Russell books (or is it 5?) and liked the first best, though all were good. For those of you who find Mary appealing, you might like the Fremont Jones series by Dianne Day.
Wabbit, have you read Little,Big? Or 100 Years of Solitude? If you like magic-realism, I urge you to track down copies of Chuck Rosenthal's Loop's Progress and Experiments with Life and Deaf. I think they are marvelous examples of the genre.

I have read 100 years and ITS WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL! as is everything that Gabriel Garcia Marquez writes :) I must say that I didn't like little big. I just didn't like the way it was written. I loved the idea of it but just couldn't get on with the writing style.

As for the other books, I haven't read them. THANKS! For the recommendations, I will check them out :)

Regards
Sillywabbit

Back