• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who else loathes..

SilkOfDrasnia

who else absoulutly LOATHES J.R. Tolken! i hate him! i think his stories are terrible and his writing style isnt that great(now to make it all worse, MOVIES came out), so does anyone else share my hatred of this author?

Hate is a strong word. You may not like his books but no-one has forced you to read them. I liked The Hobbit and wasn't keen on LOTR.

He appeared much more interesting to read before all the movie hype started and every man and his dog said they had read the book and then voted for it in the BBC top 100 list. Slightly annoying when you get 15 year olds after seeing one of the films commenting that the book was better when you know perfectly well that the majority or them wouldn't get past the first few chapters.

SilkOfDrasnia said:
who else absoulutly LOATHES J.R. Tolken! i hate him! i think his stories are terrible and his writing style isnt that great(now to make it all worse, MOVIES came out), so does anyone else share my hatred of this author?

He's to be admired for breaking new ground in the genre. And it is frustrating when people get so hyped up about his books more because of the name than the stories. But I wouldn't go so far as to 'loath' or 'hate' him. He appeals to a different audience. I'm not a big Jane Austen fan, but I don't hate her at all - she just doesn't appeal to me.

Like you, I'm guessing, I'm more of an Eddings fan. There's a difference between modern fantasy and what Tolkein did, and I think there are a number of authors who should be admired today for creating new worlds and characters that are more complete and well rounded.

But I did like the movies - I know better stories, that's for sure, but they were beautifully shown. Moreover they encouraged a lot of new fantasy readers, and indeed encouraged a lot of new people to read. Anything that gets reading accepted and encouraged, whether it is Harry Potter or Dan Brown, is to be commended on some level.

good point, never really thought about it that way and to bobbyburns, do i not have the right to post my opinions? i mean, how do U kno if no one else cares. do u read minds, or watch them every waking moment? and how in the hell can u prove that i am boring... :confused:

I loved the Hobbit and enjoyed the TLOR as well. The movie hype has sort of fuzzied the whole picture lately, but oh well. Kookamoor is right that he is special because he broke new ground. Not only that, but he was a learned man, a literary scholar - not just some lucky hack. If you read up on him, you will realize how deep and how detailed he created his worlds. To me, that is what sets him apart. It's the level of detail and background. I like to compare LOTR vs Harry Potter with Star Trek vs Star Wars. All are entertaining, and the latter in each pairing is arguably more accessible to the public than the former. But LOTR and ST provide a background that blows away the latter in that regard.

For most fantasy, I feel like I'm being told a story. When reading Tolkien, I feel like I'm reading history.

His books aren't for everyone, that's for sure. My friend has read the books five times already and still loves them just as much as the first time. I however, hate them with a passion. I get bored to tears reading even one page. But that's just me. I don't hate the man, it's not like he wrote offensive material...just stuff we don't like to read... ;)

SilkOfDrasnia said:
good point, never really thought about it that way and to bobbyburns, do i not have the right to post my opinions? i mean, how do U kno if no one else cares. do u read minds, or watch them every waking moment? and how in the hell can u prove that i am boring... :confused:

I happen to agree with you on that point, if someone replied to a post of mine telling me that I'm boring I don't think I'd be coming back here anymore, if you aren't allowed to post your own opinion without being shot down in such an absurd way I see no point in being here. And I do agree with you, his books and movies were horrible, they had no point to them. I couldn't wait until the stinking LOTR trilogy was over so I wouldn't have to wait a month for it to leave the theater so something better could come in its slot (we only have a four cinema theater here in town). I was quite disappointed with the way people reacted in this thread. I posted my dislike in the Star Wars section, and I had people disagree with me, but no one told me I was boring because of it, and no one shot my opinion down in such a rude manner.

Hey, that was my best shot. But at least you tried it. I still think the guy who started this thread should try it too.

J.R.R.Tolkien

I don't hate him but i don't like him either, LOTR was a book with good & bad parts[the ending is one of the worst IMO]

but hey he was a trendsetter & you can love/hate him but you can't ignore him :)

hey pearl why don't you give David Gemmell & James Clemens a try

yeah those books are so boring. its weird tho usually books are better than the movies made. def. not the case in the lord of the ring series. i cant hate though because i dont think that the type of genre LOTR is would interest me very much in a book form. ill stick to the movies. ;)

SilkOfDrasnia said:

It is well that thou didst repent of thy contumely against the Master...i.e., Lord Tolkien!!! We shall rescind the order to send the Nazgul after thee...er, that is, if we can...they tend to do their own thing!!
(my eye is winking...i.e. I'm only pickin' atcha!!) :rolleyes:

I really love Tolkien and his work. I am slowly working my way through the entire world that he created - it is not just The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, he made up a whole detailed history spanning many ages. I can re read The Hobbit and LOTR any day of the week and not get the slightest bit bored with them.

I do know a lot of people who don't get on with his style and maybe think that he is a boring writer because of the detail he puts into the story, but this is one of the reasons I like him so much I think - he depicts a very complete world, one where I can really imagine the characters and the things they do in the books.

Well, each to their own of course - I am forever trying to get people to read Tolkien and enjoy him, but if you don't like something, you don't like it and that is that I guess.

:)

It seems that I am one of the few who actually enjoyed his books. I'll admit - it took me a few goes to get past the beginning of The Fellowship, but after that I really enjoyed reading them. The Hobbit is one of my favourite books - I aboslutely adored it when I was younger. I do see why some people may not take to his work, though. He can be a tad over-descriptive ;)

MonkeyCatcher said:
...I do see why some people may not take to his work, though. He can be a tad over-descriptive ;)
This may be sacrilegious, but I noticed that The Hobbit is out in GN. All of that description goes into nicely illustrated pages and characters, and only the dialogue between the characters remains to be read. As far as I could tell from recollection, the dialogue is exactly true to the text. Something perhaps to keep in mind for introducing children to the story (or grownups who wish to sneak a peek :) )
Peder

Back