• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who likes Star Wars?

Darren Lewis said:
Even in ROTJ Anakin becomes "immortal"
**Below spoiler is only for the DVD version of Return of the Jedi**
OK. I have a question about this for all you Star Wars loving folks. I've never really been into Star Wars and I haven't seen any of them in their entirety. I saw most of the original three movies on DVD over my vacation. I tried to read whilst the boyfriend watched them, but I kept getting dragged in. So, I didn't realize I was going to start a huge debate when I commented on
the fact that they stick Hayden Christensen into the very end of Return of the Jedi (on the DVD version) with Yoda and Obi-Wan. The VHS version has an old fat man there instead.

I thought it was pretty cool, but my boyfriends brother and his girlfriend were very upset by it and even dragged out their VHS tape so I could see their version. Did this bother the rest of you too? I don't see why it's such a big deal, but would love to understand.

I kinda liked it too, but there will always be the purists who want it exactly the way it was. No matter how shabby.

Cheers

There are similar purists among the Lord of the Rings crowd. To each their own I guess.

I also really enjoyed ROTS. I watched episodes 1 and 2 again just before seeing it, and I was surprised to see that my opinion of the first two episodes (originally fairly low) really rose on the second viewing, and rose even more when I saw episode 3. Episode 3 is not only a great movie in its own right, but it ties everything else in the series together really well, and locks everything together nicely (considering there was an almost 30-year gap between the start and the finish).

There were still things about episodes 1 and 2 that annoyed me (the idiotic announcers during the pod race and the dialogue during the fireside scene come to mind) but I can appreciate the story as a whole now, which helps.

mehastings said:
I thought it was pretty cool, but my boyfriends brother and his girlfriend were very upset by it and even dragged out their VHS tape so I could see their version. Did this bother the rest of you too? I don't see why it's such a big deal, but would love to understand.
Diehard fans seem to hate this addition/deletion, as well many of the other changed scenes throughout episodes IV, V, and VI. Both the fat man aparition (I'd be a true geek if I actually knew or looked up his name) in Return of the Jedi, and the ugly emperor hologram in The Empire Strikes Back, were both removed and replaced by the newer characters: the new Anakin and the new Palpaltine, respectively. I have no beef with either of these changes; I just feel sorry for the actors who lost their part of history in being a part of the original Star Wars. If it was me replaced, I'd go punch that big Ewok (George Lucas) square in the face. And then I'd ask for his autograph.

I dont consider myself a diehard fan, but i dont like the changes in the old movies. Some of the changes dont matter much. Its just more cgi when the characters enter the cities, more cgi monsters wandering around etc. But changing scenes and characters around so many years after the movies isnt really a good thing. Some of the changes are very annoying, especially the bar scene in episode IV.

I loved ROTS and hated the first two episodes and loved 4 - 6 but havnt seen them in forever because im the only star wars fan in my house

Zolipara said:
I dont consider myself a diehard fan, but i dont like the changes in the old movies. Some of the changes dont matter much. Its just more cgi when the characters enter the cities, more cgi monsters wandering around etc. But changing scenes and characters around so many years after the movies isnt really a good thing. Some of the changes are very annoying, especially the bar scene in episode IV.
I agree. Leave well enough alone. I agree that most of the cgi additions don't really matter much but to me they still throw off the feel of the older movies. Too much extra "stuff" added in makes it feel kind of gimmicky and throw together. At the very least I wish Lucas would just give in and offer both versions in a set or something but apparently his way is the only way. And the bar scene was horrid!

Lucas changing the scene in the bar to Han firing second really pissed me off. Not only did it look rediculous, it changed his character.

I don't think it changed his character all that much. originally han was just supposed to "know" that greedo was going to fire, so he reacted, but lucas thought people were misinterpreting it as him just killing the dude, which went against the whole jedi spirit of the film. so he changed it.

bobbyburns said:
I don't think it changed his character all that much. originally han was just supposed to "know" that greedo was going to fire, so he reacted, but lucas thought people were misinterpreting it as him just killing the dude, which went against the whole jedi spirit of the film. so he changed it.
I grew up thinking Han was a bada** motherf**ker... oh well.

Back