• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who likes Star Wars?

Martin said:
Too bad the other five stink.
What were you doing watching Revenge of the Sith then :confused: I agree that the first two were despicable, but the original three were great :cool:

Ice said:
What were you doing watching Revenge of the Sith then :confused: I agree that the first two were despicable, but the original three were great :cool:
Because it's Star Wars - this is cinema history. Just like you can't not have seen the LotR-films, you can't not see all the Star Wars films.

Cheers

Well I guess i'm the same, hated the first two but will still go and see the third - glad to hear it's not quite as bad as those two :cool:

Damn - you guys type fast!

You only see Jar Jar for about five minutes. And you get to see Wookies again! That made me smile and laugh and tear up honestly.

I like Natalie Portman, and I think she's beautiful, no doubt, but on the "looking off" thing. . .

Did anyone ever see "The Professional" where she's a little girl? I think she was probably like ten or eleven.

I remember when I saw it, I thought she was a really stunning child, and I wondered if she'd keep acting. Figured she'd be quite a beauty one day. But point being, she looks very subtly different now in a way that doesn't seem to be just due to maturity. The shape and length of her nose doesn't appear to be the same. Maybe she had rhinoplasty?

So as lovely as she is, I tend to always think she looks "off" based my first impression of her as a young girl. Martin, did you see "The Professional" too? Maybe that's it?

We've just gone and bought tickets for Hitchhikers followed by Revenge of the Sith - we must be mad!! :rolleyes: Will let you know what we think :)

Slacker said:
So as lovely as she is, I tend to always think she looks "off" based my first impression of her as a young girl. Martin, did you see "The Professional" too? Maybe that's it?
No, I never saw The Professional - what I did see was a film called Leon, which is, essentially, The Professional, only without being slaughtered by American censorship. It happens to be one of my favourite films of all time.

If you can ever get hold of Leon, as opposed to The professional, please do - it's the same film, only much, much better.

Ice - HHG and Sith?! Sounds like a fabulous night out to me!

Cheers

We saw ROTS on Friday, and I've got mixed feelings about it. I loved Star Wars as a kid, but I've been disappointed by the new films. Of all the new prequel films, I think ROTS is the best, but overall ESB is my favourite.

I watched the original Star Wars ANH last night on DVD, and I much preferred it. ROTS does fit in pretty well, but most of the new CGI looks really out of place compared to the rest of the film.

Why didn't Qui-Gon or any of the other Jedi Masters who are killed in ROTS disappear? Even in ROTJ Anakin becomes "immortal"

Darren.

Well I must say that I was pleasantly suprised by both of them. I refrained from re-reading HHGTTG before we went to see the actual movie and found it to be fairly good. I did notice several discrepancies with the book (even though it has been a while since I read it) but not enough to put me off. I thought Freeman and Rockwell played the parts well and even Mos Def wasn't as bad as I thought he would be. I would have prefered Marvin to have a bigger role :( Even though some parts of the film were amusing I feel the overall humour of the book was somewhat lost.

ROTS actually suprised me the most (though probably because I had such a low expectation of it). It was far better than the first two prequels and some of the special effects were very good. It's not on par with the original three but it wasn't bad :)

All in all it was a good night :cool:

Darren - I asked the same question too. I've tried to get explanations for this in Star Wars sites around the internet, but apparently the Force isn't strong enough with me while I surf. I just can get it.

I did feel that Lucas did try to tie up all the loose ends in the Prequels, and for me, everything is pretty much answered (some lamely, though) except for the question Darren posed.

One thing that had bugged me oh so long was when in the original trilogy Kenobi once said that Yoda is his teacher. Imagine my surprise when I saw Ep I when Kenobi was calling this git called Qui-gon 'Master'! Well, Lucas tied that one up here in Ep 3, although it did feel like it was done to appease die-hard fans who couldn't sleep.

Oh, did I say I enjoyed Ep3? I *did*! Yea!

Natalie Portman acted really beautifully in there - didn't feel she was off in any way. Well, maybe the first scene when the wife said "What kind of hair is that"?

ds

Darren Lewis said:
Why didn't Qui-Gon or any of the other Jedi Masters who are killed in ROTS disappear? Even in ROTJ Anakin becomes "immortal"
Good Question. The only reason I can think of is:

When Qui-Gon et al die they do not posess the knowledge but Qui-Gon returns and teaches Yoda and Obi-Wan.

It was mentioned somewhere that Lucas would explain how Yoda and Obi-Wan learn the technique. However, it appears that this wasn't included in the film :( It is one loose end that is never tied up (to my knowledge). As Lucas didn't have Qui-Gon disappear in TPM he could not return as a ghostly image in ROTS.

Another theory is that in order for a Jedi to disappear they have to be ready and accept the fact they are going to die. Qui-Gon did not want to die where as Obi-Wan sacrificed himself (so knew full well he would die) and accepted this fact. As did Yoda.

As I say, that is just another theory :)

Boy, how pissed Wabbit will be when he *finally* reads this 'spoiler'... [evil laugh]

Well, Wabbit? Can you resist? Remember not to fall to the Dark Side...

ds

direstraits said:
Boy, how pissed Wabbit will be when he *finally* reads this 'spoiler'... [evil laugh]

Well, Wabbit? Can you resist? Remember not to fall to the Dark Side...

ds

So far.... but I will break soon! Must... watch... movie....

Back