• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who likes The Sound of Music?

Me.

A window popped up stating my response was too short and that I should write a post at least ten characters long. I believe this second paragraph addresses that problem.

That is what I get for not writing in complete sentences. My English teachers would be ashamed of me.

:(

For Martin:

Dough, the stuff that buys me BEER
Ray, the guy that sells me BEER
Me, the guy that drinks the BEER
Far, a long long way from BEER
So, I'll have another drink
La! I think I'm getting drunk
Tea? No thanks I'll have some BEER!
That'll bring us all some cheer!

Heh - forgot my original message. I actually quite like this musical - it's would rank outside the top ten favorite musicals (including: Singin' in the Rain, My Fair Lady, Mary Poppins, etc), but it's still got some great songs.

No one's mentioned this yet: The exteriors and interiors of the main house are obviously different places. Take a look at the placement of the windows next time you watch it.

LOVE it. When I was a kid, we used to rewind the marionnette show and watch it again . . . and again . . . and again . . .

Did you know there's a book? The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Augusta Trapp. It's hilarious, and a must-read if you're a fan of the movie.

Bravo Kookamoor! I shall be singing your version next!

Except for the very lovely Audrey Hepburn, there's nothing in My Fair Lady that really surpasses The Sound Of Music, IMHO. Did you know that Audrey Hepburn beat Julie Andrews to the role, despite the fact that it was Julie herself who played Eliza in the Broadway version?

Also, did you know that the anagram of 'The Sound of Music' is 'I really love pointing out tiny bits of useless information on the movie'?

ds

direstraits said:
Did you know that Audrey Hepburn beat Julie Andrews to the role, despite the fact that it was Julie herself who played Eliza in the Broadway version?

Also, did you know that the anagram of 'The Sound of Music' is 'I really love pointing out tiny bits of useless information on the movie'?
In regards to the former - yes, I had heard that. But you know, I can't imagine Julie Andrews as Eliza - she's in my mind as sweetness and light. I just can't imagine her saying 'Move your bleedin' arse!' quite like Audrey Hepburn.

In regards to the latter - I assume you're taking the piss given the "tiny useless bit of information" in the former. :D

direstraits said:

ds

did you just finish reading the da vinci code? :D

I think that ANY work of art that succeeds fully in doing what it was intended to do is a great work. The obvious intent in making The Sound of Music was corniness and sentimentality, and I think they succeeded wildly! The production values were really good. I think it's just a matter of what ya like! Personally, I liked it because it was well done, and because I've always been a little sappy...but I also liked Terminator 3, because it KICKED ASS! :cool:

And Kookamoor, I really liked your rendition of "Doh Re Mi, but had this strong urge to pee after reading it...

I have it on DVD and I cannot get enough of it... the same as Singing in the rain which is actually my favorite "oldish but goldish" movie!

turque said:
I have it on DVD and I cannot get enough of it... the same as Singing in the rain which is actually my favorite "oldish but goldish" movie!
Singing in the Rain is a great movie. There is no better scene in movies, IMHO, than where Gene Kelly is Singing the title song and Dancing with his umbrella.

We love both the Sound of Music and Singing in the Rain. What can I say my family loves musicals. We have to watch Oklahoma, The Music Man, and The Wizard Of Oz fairly often. I love the music from State Fair too, even though it's not one that everyone else mentions. Hokey? You bet. Bring em on. I'm about due for another shot of Brigadoon too:cool:

abecedarian said:
We love both the Sound of Music and Singing in the Rain. What can I say my family loves musicals. We have to watch Oklahoma, The Music Man, and The Wizard Of Oz fairly often. I love the music from State Fair too, even though it's not one that everyone else mentions. Hokey? You bet. Bring em on. I'm about due for another shot of Brigadoon too:cool:
A little off-topic but discussing Musicals reminds me of the "Hokey" movies starring Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney......I enjoy them. Judy Garland is one of my favorite singers.

When I was in Jr. High School, I saw Carosel with Gordan McCrea and Shirly Jones on TV. It haunted me so, I could not sleep the whole night. Same with State Fair.
Gigi, The King and I, of course South Pacific, Guys and Dolls, Oklahoma, they are all superb. They don't play these very much on the tube anymore.

I love all musicals, really. Anyone seen 'Paint Your Wagon'?? Classic! :)

"Doe a deer..." I miss Martin... :eek:

I have to agree with Libre about Carousel-such a morbid musical. What bothered you about State Fair? I find myself quoting the barker, played by Frank Morgan, often."We're having FUN here!"
We saw a Music Theatre of Wichita production of Paint Your Wagon many years ago. It was very well done.

Back