• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who wants to see the hobbit?

Wabbit

Who would like to see The Hobbit turned into a movie? Who would you like to direct it and star in it?

I would like to see it turned into a movie but only if it's a movie by Peter Jackson :) He did such a fab version of the original that I would really like to see him take on this movie too. There have been rumours that he is going to do it, but will will see.

As for actors. I guess Gandolf is obvious :-D Actually not sure who else but I home that it wouldn't turn into a big name star fest because Lord of The Rings was so popular. Hope who ever directs it would just pick who has talent rather than who is a big name.

I agree with you on all counts. Whenever movies become big star fests they usually suck, and I'd hate to see that happen to The Hobbit. Peter Jackson did a fantastic job with LOTR, and I would definitely love to see him put together The Hobbit. I do believe that the actor who played Gandalf has said that he would play him in The Hobbit if Peter Jackson was directing it.

I would definitely like to the see The Hobbit, but only if it was directed by Peter Jackson, had the same crew and the same cast for characters that are in both LoTR and The Hobbit! (Sorry, am not sure which characters (if any) are in both except Gandalf and Bilbo as it is about 20 years since I read it and I can't remember it too well. It's on my "to read" pile!).

I think Jackson did so well with LoTR that he should definitely be the only director to do this (in fact, why is he wasting his time doing sodding King Kong? I wish he'd gone straight onto The Hobbit, but no doubt he was sick of Tolkien stuff by then!)

I'm not really interested in King Kong either! But, yeah, I can understand he needs a break. So much of his life has been taken up making the LOTR movies!!! Hopefully he will turn his attention to the Hobbit next! :)

I'm not sure if I do really want to see this turned into a film; The Hobbit is my comfort book, and somehow seeing it turned into a Jackson epic (replete with slow-mo, deadened voices, dramatic music death scenes), wouldn't feel right.

I vote no, as I really couldn't be bothered with another great big hoo-hah of LOTR proportions.

I would imagine that a movie translation of the Hobbit would be fairly inevitable .. just wait for them to cut out the boring bits .. like the spiders, and the finding of the Ring .. in fact just about all of the book til that nice long last battle, which i'm sure they can string out for a good couple of hours :D

Phil

T hink it would make a great kids film, much better than Harry Potter, whcih lets face it, is just a collection of ideas ripped off from just about everywhere.

The spiders thing i think would look great in a movie, as would a lot of the book, for kids anyway.

Never really got into The Hobbit - it's an okay book, but the end felt like something of a letdown.

And on the film - this is PJ's territory. Period.

Cheers

I love The Hobbit, and I am sure many will slate me when I say that I preferred it to Lord Of The Rings. Maybe it's an attention-span thing but The Hobbit is rammed to the gills with action and adventure, but Lord Of The Rings bored me to tears in places.

As for the film version, I think it will be really good. Not sure who I want to see do it, Peter Jackson did do a good job on LOTR. But I shall await it with eager anticipation. :)

A few years before LOTR began filming, I remember stories going around that The Hobbit was to become a movie; considered were Danny DeVito as Bilbo Baggins and Sean Connery as Gandolf.

Martin said:
Never really got into The Hobbit - it's an okay book, but the end felt like something of a letdown.
This is exactly what I felt about the book as well. And because of it, I don't think the movie's gonna be good... what kind of ending is that for a big budget movie? :)

ds

I'm not a big fan of "The Hobbit" but I wouldn't mind a movie adaptation but only if it wasn't directed by Peter Jackson. I wasn't very fond of the Hollywood style and computer effects in the trilogy. I don't know if it's already been done but the best thing would probably be to animate it like at least part of "Lord of the Rings" has been.

Well there'd be lots of room for cameos. And as for repeat characters all you'd have to worry about are Bilbo, Gollum, Gandalf, Elrond and Gloin. Maybe the Sackville Bagginses. Hmm...Maybe Legolas too since he comes from Mirkwood. The Great Eagles? The Trolls. Did I miss any?

And it'd definitely have to be Peter Jackson. Most of the costumes are already made up and everything. It just wouldn't be the same.

Yeah, I'd love to see a movie of The Hobbit. I think it would be really nice to see the characters (portrayed by the correct actors) inside the story of The Hobbit, with the same Production (and Direction) that Pete and the team brought to The Lord of the Rings. I like your idea, Prolixic, about Legolas turning up in Mirkwood. I think that would be great. He wouldn't have to say much (if anything), and just walk past or something. But then, it might not be such a great idea, because Legolas didn't really seem to notice Bilbo, or Gloin at the Council of Elrond at all, and if he'd seen them in Mirkwood only a few years ago (for him) he would certainly have some sort of recollection of them and would say so. But, if his part is extremely insignificant and he hardly even looks at the hobbit and dwarves, then it could be a good idea. I can't remember if Gandalf is with the company when they're travelling through Mirkwood, but if he is, then it probably wouldn't be a good idea for Legolas to show up, because he'd certainly remember Gandalf, and also he'd probably want to talk with him for a while when they're in Mirkwood or something.

On a different topic altogether, Elladan and Elrohir (Elrond's kids) could make an appearance in Rivendell (we see them - I think - in the Council of Elrond, and possibly in the latter movies, I can't remember), and if Aragorn is living with Elrond around the time Biblo and co. are there, we could see a young Aragorn there. We know that Bilbo already knows Aragorn by the time Frodo and co. arrive in Rivendell before the Council, because Bilbo asks Aragorn to help him with his song in the Great Hall. So they could incorporate some sort of story where Bilbo meets Aragorn in Rivendell on his way to Erebor and there wouldn't be any inconsistencies in friendships, and everything would be water-tight. That's all assuming that Aragorn is actually alive around the time of the Quest of Erebor. I could do some quick research in my copy of The Return of the King, but I quite like my idea and I wouldn't want it to be quashed with hard facts and figures. So, I'll set it in stone before I have a look. Here goes.

Halo said:
(in fact, why is he wasting his time doing sodding King Kong?

Indeed. The original was a classic (and I still go back to it). Why does it need yet another crap remake? :rolleyes:

As an aside...
King King and the Invisible Man. Both made in 1933. Both still manage to put a lot of modern movies to shame in terms of effects

i would not be surprised if a Hobbit movie isn't in the works pretty soon. i mean, what better way to re-capitalize (is that a word ;) ) on the LOTR a few years down the line? people would remember how much they enjoyed the movie and then they'd line up to see the Hobbit. re-issue the dvd sets, etc etc

anyway, i'd watch it. i enjoyed (mostly) the book and the LOTR movies. Peter Jackson did a great job, i think, so why not let him do it again?

I was under the impression that there was some sort of difficulty in Jackson getting the rights to the story in order to film it. I'm exceedingly vague on details though.

I haven't read The Hobbit for years, and I still have the names of the dwarves stuck in my head. Dwalin, Balin, Fili, Kili, Dori, Ori, Nori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur and Thorin Oakenshield. That's just sad.

Yeah, I said dwarves not dwarfs. There was a reason, but it is half past one in the morning and I can't remember what it was. Maybe someone could remember it for me.

Back