• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who will win the World Cup?

Who's gonna win the world cup?

• Japan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Argentina

• Holland

• France

• Spain

• Paraguay

• Total voters

kirsty

World Cup

I know that at this time of year, football can really get up the noses of many non-football fans. But this is a thread for those who are looking forward to the start of the World Cup in two days time.

So what do you reckon to England's chance in the tournament? Before the disasterous Rooney injury, I was quite optimistic, although realistic in that it is relitavely unlikey that we will go on to win it. Results of the most recent scan seem to suggest that he's in for a chance of challenging Crouch for his place back in the forward line.

I'm hoping that the Hungary game has taken any kind of authority away from what some would call the diamond formation (really?) as it didn't being out the potential in many of the players. I also felt that the midfield in particular looked very narrow.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this tournament more so than any other international tournament before.

Hi Kirsty,

Yep, I'm looking forward to the World Cup too. My family are a little football crazy and we've done the 'team draw' thing - lucky me ended up with most of the 'smaller' teams like Saudi Arabia and Togo. Never know though, could be a few surprises this year.

Of course i hope England win - the ideal would of course be an England V Germany final, with England winning on penalties - if only hey?

Winning a major sporting tournament helps unite a country, albeit it briefly, and I think England could probably do with that about now.

Roll on Saturday. Germany is playing first on friday arent they?

Who do you think is going to win the World Cup 2006?
Choose one of the 10 choices, for other countries just post it.

It seems this world cup is one of the best. I’m going to try to watch every game! :cool:
I think the country with the highest probability to win the world cup is Brazil, though I wouldn't hope so. I’d go for Italy. Concerning England I have no idea, but hope they won’t face Argentine in an early stage ;) .

By the way, I added a new poll on who's going to win the world cup. Check it out...

I did a little chuckle when I saw such no-hopers as Paraguay, Japan, and England in the poll above. The competition, as I see it, will be won by Brazil. I initially predicted a repeat of the 2002 final (Germany v Brazil) but that all depends on whether the risky German tactics will prove efficient.

As regards England (and we know it's all about them :rolleyes: ) I have them qualifying for the second round - behind Sweden - but being knocked out two goals to one by the hosts.

Based on recent form, South Korea (beaten 3-1 last weekend by Ghana!) don't look like building on the success of the 2002 competition where they reached the semi-finals.

France, Brazil, Germany are my predictions for the top three places and, while I would usually pick the Czech Republic as my outsider I'm going with Sweden (like I did back in 1994).

Stewart said:
France, Brazil, Germany are my predictions for the top three places and, while I would usually pick the Czech Republic as my outsider I'm going with Sweden (like I did back in 1994).
Well, then, at least ONE of us thinks Sweden is going to do well. I'll be very surprised if we make it past the second round. Our whole team depends on the 3 or 4 decent players we have, and none of them (except Larsson) seem to be on top form...

Nah, Brazil and Germany. With the Czechs, French and Italians as outsiders. Home ground counts for a lot. It would be nice to see an African team do well, I guess the Ivory Coast is the favourite there, but... probably not.

I'm sort of split on whether I want the Yanks to do well. On the one hand, it would be nice if football got some more attention over there. On the other... aren't they good at enough sports already?

beer good said:
On the other... aren't they good at enough sports already?

Cuba won the Baseball at the Olympics 2004. USA did not even qualify. Of course this is just a competition for college kids and whatnot. But, when the inaugural World Baseball Classic was played this year, a competition that featured professional players, Japan won it. Cuba, Korea, and the Dominican Republic took up the other major placings. Where was the USA?

In the Olympics 2004, Argentina won the Basketball. USA came third. Yugoslavia won the Basketball World Championship in 2002 with Argentina, Germany, and New Zealand taking the other major placings.

Running, and other athletics: fair enough.

Still, you have to wonder at the arrogance of naming sporting competitions the World Series when only the US and Canada takes place. Fair enough, the majority of Americans don't even know there's a world out there beyond America but, when an American team wins another World Series, it's no surprise they can give off the impression of being the best in the world. ;)

Stewart said:
Where was the USA?

Most of the players on the US team were nothing special. The reason for this is that the best players in the MLB aren't from the US. They are from Japan, Cuba and the Dominican Republic. Given the opportunity, guess who they all choose to play for? If you take a look at all the players from the MLB who played in the World Baseball Classic you can see what teams they play for.

I don't really think Americans are any more athletic than people from other countries, we just pay better.

As far as getting soccer more attention here, I don't even know if a (highly unlikely) World Cup win would matter. Soccer is pretty much a game for little kids here. MLS gets none of the attention the other sports get. Growing up, half the kids in town were playing soccer at age seven. By high school we had to teach a dozen girls how to play so we could start a girls' team. The boys' team wasn't much different.

Stewart:
As regards England (and we know it's all about them )

Of course it's all about England.:p

beer good: Well, then, at least ONE of us thinks Sweden is going to do well. I'll be very surprised if we make it past the second round. Our whole team depends on the 3 or 4 decent players we have, and none of them (except Larsson) seem to be on top form...

That's not very reassuring. I stand to win a great deal of money if Sweden, Saudi Arabia or Togo win :rolleyes: what are my chances?:D

Based on the quality of the squad Brazil should win it. For once they even got a pretty good goalkeeper. Behind Brazil i think its pretty open. Argentine, Germany, Holland, France, Italy, Spain, Czech Republic and even England could make it to the final. Though if forced to choose i think Holland or Argentine are the strongest teams. Holland is also practically playing at home.

Sweden has a chance, they have a good team but needs to have Zlatan and Henke in top form to provide the goals. But Zlatan hasnt exactly been impressive for Juventus this year.

I have Ivory Coast as a possible outsider if they make it through the very though group they are in.

I'd say Brazil, Argentina and Holland (not as strong a squad as usual but actually talking to each other for once) in that order are favourites. A group of 4 or 5 of the usual suspects have an outside chance.
England's progress depends on who they met in the knock out stages. I can't see them having too much trouble getting out of their group, as despite their record of starting tournaments slowly they managed to avoid being drawn with any "giant" killers like the Faroe Islands.

K-S

If anyone is interested, I've added a specific World Cup 2006 forum to Goal Mouths with a thread for each match and some other stuff such as the Rooney's Toe thread. :D

I am hoping Portugal goes pretty far...as I have a soft spot for them...:D...but in reality, I'm going with Brazil....they will be hard to beat.

Kenny Shovel said:
I can't see them having too much trouble getting out of their group, as despite their record of starting tournaments slowly they managed to avoid being drawn with any "giant" killers like the Faroe Islands.
That's one thing I like about Group B; I doubt that either Sweden or England (or Paraguay, if it comes to that) will be happy to settle for 2nd spot, since that'll most likely mean facing Germany in the second round... so hopefully it'll go right down to the wire in the third game. Should be a fun match-up.

I predict England will get knocked out in the second round and blame it all on the referee and Sven. Then they will stay safely in the illusion of beeing the best team in the world for another four years until the next world cup.

Although Brazil has one of the best players combination, if not the best, but I have a feeling they will not get the cup this time and I hope they don’t. Similar to Real Madrid with all these top players but they usually get kicked out in the Champions League.

For me, the three teams are Italy, Argentina and Holland. I would also go for teams that has managed to reached the World Cup for the first time, as Ghana, Ivory Coast, Togo and Serb & Mont.

NB. Thanks mehastings for merging the two threads, it’s much better like that.

Zolipara said:
Based on the quality of the squad Brazil should win it. For once they even got a pretty good goalkeeper. Behind Brazil i think its pretty open. Argentine, Germany, Holland, France, Italy, Spain, Czech Republic and even England could make it to the final. Though if forced to choose i think Holland or Argentine are the strongest teams. Holland is also practically playing at home.

QUOTE]
#
Just to clear up, the thread I started was merged with the poll.

In terms of chances, I pretty much go with what Zolipara said above.

This is probably one of the England best world cup squads I've seen, but am still a little dubious about our chanes of making it to the final, although I see us as having more chance than both Germany and the Czech.

Some of Sven's squad choices have caused a bit of controversy, but his overall tactic appears to be to use out pace. The likes of Walcott, Lennon and Downing would probably not have got a look in without their pace. And I do feel that our only way to beat any of the top dogs is this way, as the likes of Brazil and even France out-do us in quality.

Aside from England, I'll be cheering on Trinidad and Tobaggo and hoping that they are second on our group. They've done really well to qualify and to get through to the quarters would be a massive boost to their country and supporters.

Back