• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

WHSmith's Overpriced.

shadforth

I've shopped in WHSmith's for years,but their books are far too dear now. For example Terry Brooks latest hardback is £18.99 and Amazon are selling it for £10.99! Yeah,they still have their half price offers etc,but you can usually find these titles cheaper still online. I've noticed WHSmith's online store is cheaper too.

Interesting how as the high street book sellers offering cheap books go out of business and close their doors in droves, WH Smiths starts to increase their prices... they did used to be cheap indeed. Now though, doesn't seem like they're too bothered with competition.

Most of the high-street booksellers are overpriced for me. One of my friend works for one of the larger chains and gets 40% staff discount - a pretty clear indication of the excessive mark-up. My theory is they can't compete with online retailers becuase of their fixed costs, and so they make sure they make a healthy profit from those who won't buy online, or like to browse and buy.

Back