• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why are so few American books annotated?

JBook

kickbox
I read a book review for a novel which basically said that the Russian version was thoroughly annotated to provide information for esoteric knowledge and other uncommon concepts. Apparently this is quite a common practice in Russia. My question is the following: why is that not done here in the states? For example, I'm reading Jane Eyre right now for school, and a lot of 19th century concepts I have to research myself. Things such as outmoded styles of dress or phrases in French that the author never directly translates.

It would make reading such works much easier. this could be done for modern books as well, especially ones that deal with lesser known scientific principles or sociological theories. Whatever the average literate Joe doesn't know that isn't directly explained in the novel could be annotated at the publisher's discretion.

I'm honestly thinking that you have a poor copy. Even here in America, classics like Jane Eyre generally have notes in them. My only guess is that your school may have purchased a version without notes because 1) it was cheaper or 2) they didn't want you to have the notes because they want you to learn something without them. They may want you to do the research, or they may want you to learn to read classic literature without a ton of help. I have a lot of books at home that at some point belonged to the High School I attended (shh...don't tell). The only one with notes is a copy of Hamlet.

If you really need the help, I'd advise you to try the Oxford's World Classics version. I've read a number of their books for pleasure and I always find the notes useful. I have not read their version of Jane Eyre, but I'm sure it would help you.

Lots of books have phrases in other languages in them without translation. Sometimes the author assumes you will figure out what they mean through context, sometimes they are obvious (ie "le t-shirt"), and sometimes they are little bits of conversation that don't matter to the story. They are there for effect rather than content. Try this. Read the entire page without stopping to translate the french bits. Do you feel like you are missing something? If not, don't bother with it. Just move on.

Good luck with your book, no matter what you end up doing. The classics can be challenging, but they are often so much more rewarding than reading literary junk food like Tom Clancy or Nora Roberts. I hope that this was helpful!

mehastings said:
I'm honestly thinking that you have a poor copy. Even here in America, classics like Jane Eyre generally have notes in them. My only guess is that your school may have purchased a version without notes because 1) it was cheaper or 2) they didn't want you to have the notes because they want you to learn something without them. They may want you to do the research, or they may want you to learn to read classic literature without a ton of help.

I agree. You just have to find the right edition. When working at Barnes & Noble, this woman was buying "Lolita". I told her to get the annotated "Lolita" since it translates the French. Yeah, you just have to find them.

If it's just a translation of some French dialogue it has probably been left untranslated because it is likely translatable via the context in which it is spoken - the opening chapter of War and Peace, for example. Unless you have a French edition. :cool:

Stewart said:
If it's just a translation of some French dialogue it has probably been left untranslated because it is likely translatable via the context in which it is spoken - the opening chapter of War and Peace, for example. Unless you have a French edition. :cool:
:confused: :confused:
umm... yeah, in Lolita, there's some French dialogue sprinkled throughout. Yes, you can figure it out by the context. But in the annotated Lolita, it translates the French anyway along with other helpful notes. ;)

My copy of Lolita has no notes. As far as I've read there's been snippets of other languages (mostly French) but I've never felt I have to halt the narrative to look up notes. That attitude distills the pace and the purpose of the text - Nabokov didn't leave notes with the book so why don't we just read it as it was intended to be read. Without notes!

Stewart said:
Nabokov didn't leave notes with the book so why don't we just read it as it was intended to be read. Without notes!
Yeah... agreed... but when you've finished the book, and perhaps been wondering whether or not you got the French right, it's nice to have it on hand.

My favourite thing about The Annotated Lolita is that it has Edgar Allan Poe's "Annabel Lee" in the back. ;)

Back