• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why are US book cover designs so poor?

It's not really the illustration that's god awful, but rather the composition--the way it's positioned. Right dead smack in the middle with neon green colors forming an image of a harp, with horrible color coordination. It just looks plain silly, when it's suppose to be lyrical, dark, and scary. The hand on sketch is actually pretty good--reminds me of those old Goosebumps book series--but it lacks emotion, character, and most of all, heart: it's just too rigid, lacks creativity, a style, a voice... a retarded expression on the guys face. ugh. :mad:

Interesting that the Portuguese editions tend to be published with the UK covers. Lucky me :D

I wouldn't know whether European graphic designers are better than US graphic designers, but for some years now I've been noticing that European comics have a lot better art than their American cousins. I think the reason for this is the monthly deadline that US artists have to deal with, forcing them to devise strategies to avoid drawing backgrounds and other stuff.

And I'm sure Ions is right on the money when he suggests different countries have different buying habits, or at least need to have their products marketed differently.

Precisely right, Stewart. Here are some earlier examples (don't you ever search the archives?!) Much US cover design seems to me in general much less elegant and 'clean' than UK design. Of course there are anomalies, but I can't think of many books where I've preferred the US cover design.

I've not really noticed or compared before, of the examples given I mostly prefer the UK versions, especially in Shade's examples. I like a clean, simple cover and I have decided not bought books because the covers were awful and I thought I'd be too embarrassed to read it in public. I think in the States they like a bit more flash. Maybe they think the more eye catching it is the better it will sell.

I agree on many of these, with the exception of the cover for The Amber Spyglass. Having seen the cover "in the flesh," as it were, I happen to know that it is well-considered and right onto the theme of the book in the US edition, far from being slapped on from a reading of the first page. The tininess of the posted reproduction doesn't do justice to a graphically well-designed cover which I liked a lot.

I won't especially defend any of the others, though. I tend to ignore all but the most atrocious cover art, following my TBR list alone as a guide. (Unless the art is fabulous!;) )

The tininess of the posted reproduction doesn't do justice to a graphically well-designed cover which I liked a lot.

Here it is big style:

The-Amber-Spyglass.jpg

It just doesn't scream excitement at all.

Interesting that the Portuguese editions tend to be published with the UK covers. Lucky me :D

I wouldn't know whether European graphic designers are better than US graphic designers, but for some years now I've been noticing that European comics have a lot better art than their American cousins. I think the reason for this is the monthly deadline that US artists have to deal with, forcing them to devise strategies to avoid drawing backgrounds and other stuff.

And I'm sure Ions is right on the money when he suggests different countries have different buying habits, or at least need to have their products marketed differently.

No. The majority of US artists, don't know how to draw. It's a simple fact.

Wouldn't know. I've got the three in one hardback with gold ribbon sitting unread on the shelf.

aec2.images_amazon.com_images_P_0439994349.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36984170_.jpg

That'll be the world of the dead, then?

Exactly so.

That's what the book is about, right? I really like that cover. And I'll say it again and again 'til I've gone all hoarse and pained in the throat. Oh - never mind that.

I'm pretty sure that the difference in covers is to do with the marketing of the product. I know that DVDs and games in NZ have different covers to those in Australia because the people in both countries gravitate towards different cover styles. Perhaps it is the same in this case?

And I would agree - UK covers are much more attractive.

That's what the book is about, right?
I don't really think that the world of the dead is the main focus of the book. It's just one of the places they visit, isn't it?

Posted by eyez:
The majority of US artists, don't know how to draw. It's a simple fact.

Could you generalize just a little more - that isn't quite judgemental enough.

What tripe. Your opinion is your opinion - it's hardly "simple fact." Unless, I suppose, you have research data supporting your opinion?

I'm wondering if it's related somehow to aiming for the audience. I have a friend who has lived in the UK for sev years now with her fiance. He's a game designer and she tells me that, gulp, the editions for export to the US are simplified. Say it ain't so! Far as book covers go, I don't pay too much attention to them beyond noting if they're attractive or dull. The UK covers are certainly more stylish and appealing. Arf.

I agree on many of these, with the exception of the cover for The Amber Spyglass. Having seen the cover "in the flesh," as it were, I happen to know that it is well-considered and right onto the theme of the book in the US edition, far from being slapped on from a reading of the first page. The tininess of the posted reproduction doesn't do justice to a graphically well-designed cover which I liked a lot.

I agree. The image posted just doesn't do the cover justice. Even the larger image Stewart has posted doesn't do it. That is the only of the three books that I got in hardback (it was a gift) and I remember thinking how nice it was and wondering if I could get the other books in HC to make a collection for my future (now real) kid.

I won't argue that we tend to have boring covers. Another good example is Saturday. The copy I have is nowhere near as nice as the cover I saw on the Booker Prize site.

Wow. Can I move to the UK?

Maybe it's because Americans read so little that no one wants to spend money advertising to us. I, however, want the nifty book covers.

Before reading this thread, I didn't know that the covers were different and just thought a cover is a cover. Aren't the books printed by the same companies? Why should there be any difference in the covers and why are we getting the drab ones over here? It kind of rankles me a little bit to know this.

I thougt it would be funny if people posted the book covers used for these books in their countries. I'll start with Portugal:

792410.jpg
01220010_gra.JPG
60130043_gra.JPG
9789722028684.jpg

http://imagens.webboom.pt/imagem?amb=capaprod&id=101635&width=130

I couldn't find a portuguese edition of Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman and I couldn't post a picture of Stephen King's Dreamcatcher but I posted the link.

I found two different covers for The Amber Spyglass, by Philip Pullman, the second one was in a collection for kids. I haven't read the book so I don't really know if that's right...

I know that except for that last bump, all these messages are a year old. Still, I feel the need to respond — being one of those much maligned prostitutes of the art world. ;)

You can't lay all the blame at the doorstep of the graphic designer. You've got the illustrators and photographers too. There are art directors, creative directors, executive creative directors, etc. Then you've got the publishing house themselves and any number of persons on that end.

I don't work in the publishing industry so I can't say for certain, but too many design agencies fall into the trap of design-by-committee. EVERYONE has an opinion, and some (though they would never admit to it) will push for assinine changes simply for the little ego boost they get from having put their personal touch on it. So few care that the designer is more knowledgeable about color theory, composition, typography, and design trends.

It's gut-wrenching to submit a fresh, clean design and have it slowly deconstructed into something bland and directionless. In this line of work you have to develop a pretty thick skin. However, if you care about what you do, that detachment can only go so far.

Perhaps the design agencies in the UK are better about keeping too many cooks from spoiling the broth.

As for the examples in the intial post, I haven't read any of those books so I can't comment about how topical they are. I think there are successful designs in both columns.

What an interesting thread.

I too have wondered why the cover art is generally so poor.

I just wonder...

Does anybody ask the (living) author of the book what cover to use?

Also, can an author say that his book can be published only under conditions that specific cover, as chosen by an author, will be provided?

Back