• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why collect DVDs?

/sigh/ Because they are there?

Actually, I don't have that many. I used to Netflix, but I turned 'em over so fast, they seemed to be not sending them as fast. Hmmmmm.....

Now I'll buy one only if I think I really, really, really want to watch it several times.

The current trend seems to be collecting DVDs. Do you buy them? If so, why?

Yes, we buy them, but not to have a collection. Ou personal collection is about 60-40 DVD & VHS. We do know of people who already have films on VHS, but who bought the same ones on DVD so as to be *current*:rolleyes: I guess I'm not much for keeping up with the Jones's. Besides, if they have something we don't, we'll just ask to borrow it.:D

Do you get them just to have a large collection?
Related to the answer above, no.

Do you own just your favorites in film and tv that you would watch again?

Yep, Fight Club and Blow get the most views. That and Ice Age for the kids. I know every scene by heart.

Over the years i managed to collect over 120 videos and they are still here cluttering up my flat. I want rid of them but there are some films that i just cant find anywhere on dvd. Also its a collection i have lovingly made up during my college and uni years.
I have managed to get up to about 30 dvds so iv a ways to go yet with them. But i will get there soon. They just look so much better on the shelf than videos....though it really bugs me when they are scratched....like my Red Dwarf series 2 dvd. My copy of the Tongue Tied music video is gone forever :)

Violanthe said:
Are they an improvement over VHS, or just another marketing ploy?

do you watch them?
marketing ploy?

both audio and visual quality alone would be enough to make dvds more attractive, add to that less storage space required, a much longer life span (how many tapes just 'go bad' sitting on a shelf?) and the 'special features' most of them have, and the old tapes have no chance at all of competing..

dvds are the smarter choice. Our local video shop discovered this when, on about the twelfth borrowing, we snapped the tape in their VHS copy of some 'The Young Ones' eps. Oops.

The best thing about dvds is undoubtedly the special features (that is, if you're a bit of a film geek like myself). Audio commentaries....mwah! Case in point - The LOTR extended dvds. Man, imagine watching those suckers on VHS!!

PS The other day I popped in an old VHS to watch and it started to skip. I asked my younger brother to adjust the tracking. His blank stare said it all... VHS is dead, my friends:)

The whole buying movies thingy started at uni I guess when my tv habits became less regular and I had a student loan to spend. Started on VHS with those 3 for £20 offers at HMV. Then I noticed all those best film lists. Godfather? Rear Window? never seen em. Guess I'd better buy the movie. Other movies are cut for TV, and on certain channels you get those dreaded ad breaks (seriously - try watching Where Eagles Dare with ad breaks - you may as well not bother.

DVD came along not too long after all that started. Damn my mate's version of the Matrix looks soooo much better than my crappy video copy. And it's in widescreen too. The nineties had so many decent films coming out (eg 1999 had Matrix, Fight Club, Sixth Sense in 1 year alone) that I just had to get them (I wait 6 months or so post release to get them at big discounts compared to retail price).

My collection's gradually grown with time (think I'm over 200 at the mo though it did take me 7 years to get there and most of my buys were in the 1st yr or 2 when I had to watch the films on the 'best of' lists- then you run out of stuff to see, and you just sell off the ones you didn't like eg personally I don't rate Gone With the Wind so highly - I can see why people like it, but it just doesn't do it for me.). Started off with film then expanded with TV series. Some people buy shelves of books - buying lots of film isn't that hard to believe.

Sometimes a film really gets under your skin. A number of DVDs have various extras telling you more. Not the specific reason I buy DVDs but for the special 'one or 2 films' it can be quite a bonus

I haven't seen Godfather either, or classic must-sees-(apparently) like ET and Jurassic Park. Never even heard of Rear Window.

You are in for some good viewing then, assuming that you watch those films. Especially ET......and the others are very, very, good.

Really? Oh well then I might add them to my dvd rental list then. I did manage to see Terminator for the first time just the other week, which is another "classic" apparently. And I've seen practically all of Hitchcock's films, which are amazing, especially The Birds!

I've heard ET was god for its time, but a bit overhyped now, oh well, still worth a watch it seems :confused:

Thanks Muggle.

I've decided to curb my collecting habit and a chunk of my impulse purchases are going out on Ebay. I think now I'm down to about 50.

I will still occasionally pick one up but I have different standards now and I'm more picky on what I'll buy.

My most recent buy was a used copy of The Cell. I decided to buy it because it was cheap and I'd likely watch it repeatedly because of the fantastic visuals in the movie.

Another reason I may pick up a DVD is if it is by any of my top favorite directors and this includes getting Criterions.

I sort of equate it to deciding wether or not I like a story enough to add it to my small collection of Hard Cover editions. They have to have a lot of appeal to me personally.

steffee said:
I haven't seen Godfather either, or classic must-sees-(apparently) like ET and Jurassic Park. Never even heard of Rear Window.
You absolutely must, must see Rear Window!! The original version with James Stewart and Grace Kelly. And as an added plus, the bad guy in the movie is played by Raymond Burr, the actor that played Perry Mason the ultimate and first good guy lawyer in a long, long running television series here in the States. ET was good in a far different way, and as far as Jurassic Park, IMO they degraded as the sequels piled up. First one tons better.

As far as collecting DVDs, I have collected a few. Unfortunately I have tons of VHS tapes that I wish I'd never collected, having only watched a few times. Thats really why I don't want to collect a huge amount of DVDs. I just read that a newer version of the DVD is starting to come out now. Renting or borrowing from the library is better. I only collect the DVDs that I know for sure I will watch again and again.

Violanthe said:
The current trend seems to be collecting DVDs. Do you buy them? If so, why? Do you get them just to have a large collection? Do you own just your favorites in film and tv that you would watch again? What have DVDs added to the film industry? Are they an improvement over VHS, or just another marketing ploy?

No i download what i need!

I just heard on the news that some film companies are putting movies on the internet to be downloaded, but the buyer is unable to burn them to a disc. I thought that had already happened. :confused: But they seemed to be making a big deal of it.

Back