• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why Do Men Have Nipples?

Is it not because, while still a foetus, everyone is female and therefore has nipples until the time is right to grow a winkle or not?

Stewart said:
Is it not because, while still a foetus, everyone is female and therefore has nipples until the time is right to grow a winkle or not?

yep...you got it....I think....

winkle? maybe there's a new thread idea....all the different terms for various body parts...winkle?

I haven't read the book but I too am very interested. I knew about the office desk having more disease than a toilet seat, and I'm sure it gets worse with public computers. In fact I think I picked up the flu from a computer on campus about 6 months ago.

I'd also like to know if the weather or your external environment can affect your immune system. You know the old wives' tale about how going outside when it's cold will give you a cold? I know it's actually a virus, but some people think that the cold, or extreme temperature changes, can lower your resistance to germs.

KristoCat said:
I know it's actually a virus, but some people think that the cold, or extreme temperature changes, can lower your resistance to germs.

Then how do eskimo's survive was always my response to that type of comment. There are entire cultures of people that live in frigid conditions. They should be perpetually sick if cold temperatures are a major contributing factor.

Motokid said:
Then how do eskimo's survive was always my response to that type of comment.
Well, in the beginning they didn't. When they first met sailors they passed on the common cold to the eskimos and, while the sailors' immune systems were set up to handle it, it killed the eskimos on the first wave.

There are entire cultures of people that live in frigid conditions. They should be perpetually sick if cold temperatures are a major contributing factor.

Bacteria can't multiply in cold conditions. The warmer it is the more rife disease and germs spread. That's why Africa is awash with disease but the eskimos are tough bastards that can cut holes in ice to fish through.

@Stewart: Ha! Tough bastards indeed.

What do you think about sudden, drastic temperature changes? Like in the middle of winter, dashing in and out of a warm house, or on a really scorching summer day, doing the same thing with an air-conditioned house? Any effect on the immune system at all, or is it just uncomfortable?

KristoCat said:
I haven't read the book but I too am very interested. I knew about the office desk having more disease than a toilet seat, and I'm sure it gets worse with public computers.

I think I heard on 20/20 or one of those types of "investigative reporter" shows that the number one worst carrier of all germs in modern society was ....

anyone care to guess????

money....paper money to be exact

KristoCat said:
What do you think about sudden, drastic temperature changes? Like in the middle of winter, dashing in and out of a warm house, or on a really scorching summer day, doing the same thing with an air-conditioned house? Any effect on the immune system at all, or is it just uncomfortable?

I am not sure this is true. What I've heard is that people get more colds in winter, not because of temperature changes, but by keeping all their doors and windows shut, with no fresh air. Once virus and bacteria get in a house they pass from one person to another. Houses with carpets are worse.

As for the air conditioning, it's the system itself. Have you ever worked in an office building with air conditioning. Someone gets a coffee on the third floor and you can smell in the ground floor because it's the same air circulating over and over around the building, again carrying all sorts of germs.

That makes a lot of sense, clueless. I was just wondering what all you guys thought, I've heard this about temperature changes from others.

clueless said:
What I've heard is that people get more colds in winter, not because of temperature changes, but by keeping all their doors and windows shut, with no fresh air. Once virus and bacteria get in a house they pass from one person to another. Houses with carpets are worse.

It's the reason why hospitals in the UK are always privy to breakouts of some silly virus or other. They spend so much time trying to sanitise the whole building so that nothing breeds there that when an outbreak happens it spreads fast and causes more damage to health than it would if they just kept the hospital clean as opposed to extremist sanitary.

As for the air conditioning, it's the system itself. Have you ever worked in an office building with air conditioning. Someone gets a coffee on the third floor and you can smell in the ground floor because it's the same air circulating over and over around the building, again carrying all sorts of germs.

The more germs the better. It lets you build up a tolerance to them.

There is a simple experiment that i have used a couple of times on students.
They get a few culture plates and are told to press their finger against one, their lips against another, leave one out in the bathroom(or another room) for a while without the lid on, and press one against the toilet seat. After that we grow the bacteria on them for a while and look at the result. Most are surprised when they see what plate shows the most bacterial growth.

Zolipara said:
There is a simple experiment that i have used a couple of times on students.
They get a few culture plates and are told to press their finger against one, their lips against another, leave one out in the bathroom(or another room) for a while without the lid on, and press one against the toilet seat. After that we grow the bacteria on them for a while and look at the result. Most are surprised when they see what plate shows the most bacterial growth.
We did an experiment similar to this last year in Biology. Was the agar plate with the most bacteria the one the finger was pressed against?

~MonkeyCatcher~

Motokid said:
I think I heard on 20/20 or one of those types of "investigative reporter" shows that the number one worst carrier of all germs in modern society was ....

anyone care to guess????

money....paper money to be exact

I've heard that it carries quite a bit of drug residue on it, too. None of my sniff and lick test have confirmed this yet though :)

Ronny said:
my sniff and lick test :)

every time I read this I fight the urge to reply....but I can't anymore....

Care to elaborate on exactly what you apply this methodology to....please...pretty please...with sugar on top....

actually I apply the test to anything that I plan to put in my mouth. I always sniff it first then stick my tongue out and have a tiny taste berfore eating it, much better than getting a mouthful of something yucky. It takes me forever to eat :eek:

Back