• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

why I hate tv crime shows

I do not get to see Dexter here but do see The Mentalist. It reminds me a great deal of Monk and Psych. I do like to see how the mentalist guy deduces the killer but he is so obnoxious I can't take it sometimes.

I do not get to see Dexter here but do see The Mentalist. It reminds me a great deal of Monk and Psych. I do like to see how the mentalist guy deduces the killer but he is so obnoxious I can't take it sometimes.
I can see why you do not like it. It's interesting to me,Jane is barely decent though.Characters like Shawn and Monk are really annoying.

Yes even though I like Monk and have some shows on DVDs, his compulsive habits do get to be too much sometimes. I do not know very much about obsessive compulsive disorder, but it seems like sometimes he is afraid of everything and other times he is not. I am not sure if this is realistic.

I'm a sucker from crime shows! I used to love CSI but it's not the same since Grissom left. CSI: New York is ok, too much drama sometimes, and as for CSI Miami, I sometimes watch just to catch a glimpse of Horatio and his sunglasses :lol: The thing that I always end up wondering about whenever I watch CSI: Miami is why the female CSI so often wear white pants for work, it just doesn't seem like the right color to wear to a crime scene.

For me it isn't about looks or how realistic the show is. Which is lucky, considering that 80% of the times a Spanish speaking character opens his or her mouth two things are instantly obvious: one, the actor in question may look Hispanic but Spanish is not his/her native language; and two, the writers or producers or whoever didn't bother asking someone who actually speaks/reads/writes Spanish to check the lines. There have been some improvements in recent years, and the show that does it best IMHO is Dexter, a show that is remarkable in so many ways that it's almost unfair to compare it to other shows.

But going back to crime shows or shows in general and why we watch them, for me it's all about the characters and their stories and motivation. If I can relate to that, if there's something about them that moves me or makes me want to know more about them, I'll watch. And if it gets boring or old or repetitive, I'll stop watching: gave up on Desperate Housewives after season 3, recently stopped watching House (still love Hugh Laurie but everyone else has gotten really really annoying), can't stand CSI without Grissom, occasionally enjoy Grey's Anatomy but only as long as Meredith isn't on screen...

At the end of the day you just have to remember that it's entertainment, and even though I'm afraid that the Lost finale will be a huge disappointment, I'm still gonna enjoy the rest of the season and try not take it personally. :flowers:

A lot of recent crime programs really don't interest me and I think it was CSI or Law & Order (don't remember) that really annoyed me. The plot is basically - a brutal/bizarre/disgusting crime is committed and the story moves back and forth between a myriad of characters all contributing a smidgen of evidence discovered through their own specialty field to solve the case.

I really really hated Law and Order, which I know is a very popular show. Having worked in New York law enforcement, I can tell you real NY cops and prosecutors are nothing like these guys. The cops in NY are not politically correct like the ones on the show.. I am not saying this is right or wrong, and I suppose tv has to be like this, but it is just too ridiculous to me. However, it is an entertainment not a documentary, so if you just look at it like that maybe it is not so bad.

The thing that I always end up wondering about whenever I watch CSI: Miami is why the female CSI so often wear white pants for work, it just doesn't seem like the right color to wear to a crime scene.

I have often wondered about this myself, it doesn't make any sense... Plus I don't know how real american CSI's look like, but this is how a portuguese CSI looks like:

adiario_iol_pt_multimedia_oratvi_multimedia_imagem_id_13075042_235_.jpg

I don't know about you guys but I don't think I'd watch CSI if they looked like that simply because I wouldn't be able to distinguish them.

I agree on the PC of Law and Order. Dick Wolf the producer is an ultra liberal and puts his liberal spin on the show, thus his anti-gun, anti conservative, anti business bent and how government is the answer. When it is on a political rant in which I disagree, I don't watch. I like the Criminal Intent version the best probably because of the deductive reasoning of our hero Goren and now he will be leaving and Jeff Goldblum picks up the lead. We'll have to see.
None of these shows are Law enforcement in real life nor are the medical shows or the lawyer shows. It's just entertainment and on the CSI show I see some pretty cool gadgets.

The only one of these shows I get here is The Mentalist, which I watch sometimes although I am not really a big fan. My favorite crime show is NCIS, which I watch almost every day. I also like CSI:NY, although it is ridiculous what these tech guys do on the show. My favorite show here, although it is maybe not technically a crime show, is 24. Sad to see this is its last season.

I don't care for most of the stuff out there either. Exceptions to the rule would have been The Wire. Anybody else get into that one? It was set in Baltimore and dealt heavily with drug gangs and city politics. It seemed pretty real and gritty to me, but I'm no expert.
Also liked The Shield, and currently, Southland and Justified. Elmore Leonard has something to do with Justified and it doesn't seem super realistic, but it is pretty entertaining.

I am a big Shield fan. It really bugged me when I moved to Thailand and could not watch it anymore. I have never seen Southland or Justified. Unfortunately, last I read 24 movie was cancelled, but I hope not as I would love to see movie. I will check this out on internet.

The only one of these shows I get here is The Mentalist, which I watch sometimes although I am not really a big fan. My favorite crime show is NCIS, which I watch almost every day. I also like CSI:NY, although it is ridiculous what these tech guys do on the show. My favorite show here, although it is maybe not technically a crime show, is 24. Sad to see this is its last season.

I think CSI and NCIS have the same amount of absurd tech level.

This is probably true. However, at least in NCIS everyone does their assigned jobs. techs do tech work and field agents do field work. Unlike CSI, where techs do everything and the captain runs around doing detective work.

I know, it has some bearded chap and a bunch of tech people doing the detective work and I thought most police depts have a separate tech/crime scene unit and then the detectives doing the canvassing and interrogating witnesses bit but on CSI that's gone all mixed up.
And the cast is kind of old. Or annoying. Or both. :p

Yes that is true. Crime scene investigators gather the evidence at the scene, lab techs analyze it, and detectives do the fieldwork, including interviewing witnesses and suspects, etc. Sometimes in small local departments you will have one guy doing all this stuff, but certainly not in NY, Miami or Las Vegas.

Back