• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

why I now read ghost and horror stories

chiangmaifalcon

As an investigator, now retired, I am used to relying on facts and evidence and for that reason never used to have much interest in ghost stories or horror fiction. That has changed since I moved to Thailand and here is why.
Buddhists believe spirits, which they call phi, are everywhere and are always doing things to appease them. In the case of a death, people give offerings to spirit of the deceased. Usually something they liked while here on earth.

My wife Marisa's brother died from cirrhosis of liver as he was a heavy drinker, as many Thai people are. he used to drink rice whisky but in later years only drank beer. After his funeral and cremation, his family members came to my house. Neither wife nor I drink. Wife is Buddhist and I am recovering alcoholic. However I had beer for relattives who drink and opened a beer.

At that instant lights of my car came on by themselves. Car was facing dining room window and table where I was sitting and opened beer. I went outside and car was locked. I went to open car door and lights went off.

Next time family came was next time I had beer in house. I opened beer again, first time since car incident. MY cell phone was in my pocket and started ringing. I looked at readout and it was wife's phone calling mine. However, I was looking at wife's phone and it was lying on cofee table and calling my phone by itself though noone was touching it. Wife believes that ghosts can manipulate electrical devices, and her brother was sending message he was displeased that no one had offered his spirit a beer, as is Thai custom.

I cannot explain these things but even if there is some electrical phenomena to explain them it seems awfully coincidental they only happened on 2 occasions I opened beer in house.

Anyway point is I now have different viewpoint towards paranormal stuff and can read these horror books with more open mind.

Also my outlook on life has improved, as now not only do I know there is life after death, but apparently they have beer.

Interesting story falcon. I am curiouse, what events lead you to live in Thailand?

Justin

Our friend sort of hinted that his wife is buddhist, and maybe Thai ?
Could that be a good enough reason?

This happen to me when i open beers with the remote-car-keys but now that you said it, it just might be a ghost.

Ha ha Thomas! I did pick up on the clues he gave, but there must be more to it than that...

It means a lot for a man here in the states to just change jobs and up move to another country no matter how much he loves his wife. It does happen, all the time. I was just curious because it seamed he had a really interesting occupation here, And unfortunately here in the states many men are defined by their jobs more than by their families...

Kudos for whatever reason, I was just curious…

Keep in mind I am a beaten down blue-collar employee who lost most of his ambitions and dreams by chasing that corporate carrot around 60 – 80 hours a week…

I live vicariously through others…

Thanks everyone. The fact is I retired and moved to Thailand originally because I was offered a job here on a contract basis. The contract was cancelled and thus so was job, but I fell in love both with country and with Thai woman and this is why I stayed. Dont get me wrong I love America and will always be American, but besides having wife here I also am involved in business and I dont want to sound like bleeding heart or something but I am able to help people here and do things I could not do in the states.

I knew there was a great story behind the move falcon! Thanks for sharing. I was offered a job a few states away and turned it down because I did not want to leave my comfort zone. I admire anyone who follows aspirations no matter where they take them. and you met your true love, that is gold at the end of the rainbow.

I bet you have some great stories from Thailand as a contractor.

Thanks Justin. I dont blame you for not wanting to leave. I have been to Ohio and loved it. Especially Columbus. Ironically, I do have some great stories about contractor business but I am not at liberty to discuss them. I do not mean to sound like a character in one of the novels we read, but let me just say that after 9/11 my career took a different direction, as did many people in law enforcement and investigations. I no longer have much to do with that world, however I do work in unpaid capacity with Royal Thai police in situations involving English speaking foreigners.

Thanks everyone. The fact is I retired and moved to Thailand originally because I was offered a job here on a contract basis. The contract was cancelled and thus so was job, but I fell in love both with country and with Thai woman and this is why I stayed. Dont get me wrong I love America and will always be American, but besides having wife here I also am involved in business and I dont want to sound like bleeding heart or something but I am able to help people here and do things I could not do in the states.

How does that work with your work visa?

That is good point. I am here on retirement visa. Technically not allowed to work. However, I am owner of small business which is allowed as long as I am supervisor and not worker.

Back