• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why read books?

Why read books?

• Total voters
Entertainment's gotta be number one.

Reading a book, to me, is like watching a movie. Except in a lot of cases much better story-lines and characters.

And sometimes I read to gain knowledge.

I read because I like gaining knowledge and reading things that challenge my opinions and beliefs. I like the phiisophical aspect of books.
I also like reading about peoples lives (fiction and nonfiction). Its just so fascinating!
I also love the language. I think its beautiful and think certain words stung together are just beautiful.

Lani

i read foremost for enjoyment, i love becoming totally submerged in the world of the novel. i find getting into a charcter's mind enriching; it allows me to view situations and experiences from a perspective that might otherwise not have occurred to me, other times i find myself deeply relating and putting words to a feeling for the first time. i guess that's why i love so-called "psychologycial" novels - anna karenina, madame bovary, the fountainhead, the stranger, sons and lovers, crime and punishment, the portrait of dorian grey all work for me ....

steffee said:
Sometimes, if the book's good, I even opt for a stopping train! :eek:

I used to do that, when I had to catch the train to work. :D As long as it wasn't crowded, I didn't mind how long the journey took because I got some good solid reading time in. :D

I read because I love to read!!! :rolleyes:
That, and if it's required for school...:p

I can never read in moving vehicles, though. It makes me sick. I have a very weak stomach you see (some people tell me it's because I'm a vegetarian :mad: :mad: :mad: !) and cannot read in cars, trains, planes, subways, buses...It's sad really. If I'm surrounded by strangers, all I can do is sleep or stare out the window :(.

I read every chance I get...for entertainment, to learn, and sometimes something simple so I can relax and check my mind at the door!

I have a busy work schedule and I often need these "little vacations."

I think I read to gain knowledge as well as for enjoyment. Obviously there is not much practical knowledge to be gained from fantasy, but many fantasy books contain useful lessons and, like all books, helps to increase reading skills and vocabulary.

I read for enjoyment and if I gain some knowledge along the way that is a bonus.:)

Veggiedog I sympathise. I am not a vegetarian but I get motion sickness if I read in a car or a bus or a train. It is very sad.:( I really envy people who can read just anywhere.

I think this might be a serious psychological problem :) , but I get depressed somethimes if I go out without a book to bury myself in at the nearest opportunity.

veggiedog said:
I read because I love to read!!! :rolleyes:
That, and if it's required for school...:p

I can never read in moving vehicles, though. It makes me sick. I have a very weak stomach you see (some people tell me it's because I'm a vegetarian :mad: :mad: :mad: !) and cannot read in cars, trains, planes, subways, buses...It's sad really. If I'm surrounded by strangers, all I can do is sleep or stare out the window :(.

Reading on Train, bus, subways is bad idea, it will be bad for our eyes.:(

Back