• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why, The Book Forum?

Why are you here?

• My friends ask to me to come.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chewlianchillz

After I first posted on this forum on 25th August, the people here are so welcoming. When something is really interesting, I could be hooked by the nature of it, especially forums. I will start to post many things and getting crazy at times.

This forum, most topics are on books, authors, writers, etc. It makes my internet life more interesting than last time. When I surf web, I will usually update my blog, check my emails, read some interesting articles by famous people, play games occassionally, doing research on topics I need for my projects, chit chat aimlessly with well-known friends.

I've participated in some forums in the past. Some are dead now, some are less active, some have nothing to talk about except craps. I found TBF alot more interesting than the rest of the forums I met.

So, what about you?

anyway, is this book related? Just came up with this topic, because I thought its time for me to start a new topic. But can't think of any other than this right now.

That is a good question, I ask myself that alot :) I came at first because I read so much and wanted to find new books, which I have too many in fact. I keep coming back and coming around often because there's very interesting people here.

My most rewarding forum experience ever was zen-forum.com, which shut down several years ago because of repeated hacker activity. I never paid attention to which software drove the forum. I am pleased to notice that this forum and online-literature.com, both driven by gelsoft, seem solid enough to elude hacker activity. I started on the Internet around 1998 with a free geocities website. I may have been "blogging" before the term was coined or the activity became popular. I would spend much time in Yahoo religion chat rooms, save the text of the chats, edit it and post it at my site under various religious and philosophical topics. Sometimes people would approach me via PM or E-mail to discuss a particular topic or problem.

I find it easier to write when there is some kind of potential audience to read, even if only random guests coming along via search engines.

The Internet is like an ocean, and I am casting my bread upon the waters along with messages in bottles. It is not so much my hope that the bread and messages will return to me the proverbial seven-fold. My hope is that some of my words and thoughts shall live on in some form after I am gone.

Also, obviously, I am gratified if a young person or student finds something useful for their studies.

For example, one student posted the following comment regarding Hardy's "Far from the Madding Crowd".

Don't Bother said:
This book was created for those lacking time and creativity. The author did not expand or elaborate enough on any aspect of the novel. How can one be expected to read a book where the author would proabaly bore after the first 5 pages? This book could have been written in a different style but alas, wasn't. If you haven't read it, don't.

To which I replied:

DO Bother! said:
I purchased a copy of "Far from the Madding Crowd" last year, and found it charming. The one scene where he drifts out to sea and almost drowns is so captivating.

Each author and novel is representative of a certain age and culture, and appeals to a certain stage in ones life. When I was in 4th or 5th grade, I simply adored reading Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and I think Wind in the Willows (not certain about the title). I don’t know if I will ever go back and read them now, being close to age 60. I still remember the parts of those books that were enjoyable to me.

As a Junior in high school, I was required to read "Pride and Prejudice". I simply HATED it, and I hated my English teacher that year. Last year, I found an old copy of the book, that my step son was required to read in his Junior year, and I made myself read it. To my surprise, I found it quite enjoyable.

As I grew older, and had different experiences in life and education, my tastes and interests changed.

I went to St. John's in Annapolis for 4 years, and read the so-called hundred great books of the western world. One fellow in my Freshman class was starting in his early 30's, an army veteran. He said that while he was stationed in Korea (no combat, this was in the 60's) he happened to read Mortimer Adler's book entitled "How to read a book". Mortimer Adler was one of the many people responsible for shaping the Great Books program at the University of Chicago, and at St. John's. The army veteran told me he came to St. Johns because he wanted to read those hundred great books, but knew he would never have the discipline to do it in his spare time, but only as a full time student, where they are "required reading." We had to read things like Ptolemy's Almagest on (ancient) astronomy. I really had to hit my head against a wall, to force my way through such books, but doing so transformed me, changed me, changed my tastes and interests and desires.

I suppose one thing I am trying to say, for young students, is that you should not be thinking about doing things you like (because they are enjoyable), but rather, you should be looking for challenges, and things that you don’t like, but which may really change you, make you stronger, help you to grow, and be different.

I never became rich or successful in life or business, but I am glad that I studied and wrote as I did. Perhaps I am what many would consider a financial failure, or a career failure, precisely because all my life I was so preoccupied with ideas which are not marketable or utilitarian.

Stop and think. Suppose you absolutely love some particular author or genre of novel. Maybe you love mysteries, or horror/scifi. Well, if all you do is read Harry Potter books, because you enjoy it, or all of Danielle Steel, or everything that Stephen King ever wrote, why, you will have lots of pleasure, but, in a way, its all the same thing over and over. But, if you forced yourself to read through Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, let us say, or Plutarch's lives, and read some commentaries on them, or had some seminars... why, you would have a totally different experience that might really change you in some significant way.

I think, personally, that everyone should make a big effort to try and read some of Plato's dialogues, or at least, The Republic. There is nothing else in the world like it. But.... you can’t just buy the book and read it through mechanically, so that you can say "ok I read it now, so what." You have to find a way to read it with understanding. You have to learn "HOW" other people, scholars, read such a book, and why it has been so popular for 2000 years.

I have not been a Christian for many years now, so I do not have some hidden agenda for saying this, but I think it is really worthwhile to take some non-religious bible study course, and try to get through the Old Testament, New Testament, and Apocrypha. The reason I say this is that so much of literature and history has been influence by it. I mean, Kierkegaard takes his "Sickness unto death" and "fear and trembling" from certain verses. And Hemingway name a novel "The Sun Also Rises" from a verse in Ecclesiastes. And you really can’t appreciate what Steinbeck is doing in "East of Eden" without a good understanding of the Bible.

But then, you won't really appreciate Salman Rushdie's "Satanic Verses" unless you come to understand life in India, and Islamic beliefs and Hindu beliefs, as well as to understand what it is like to grow up in a society where such religions have coexisted for centuries.

Everything is sort of interconnected. If you watch the DVD "Gandhi" you will hear a haunting melody played at the very end, with the credits. Most Americans and Europeans will not understand that the melody was Gandhi's favorite hymn (bhajan) "Ragupati ragava raja Ram, patite bhavane," which speaks of Ram as the up-lifter of the downfallen or downtrodden.

In my writings and posts, over the past six or seven years, I have tried to explain how the study of these various things, religions, philosophies, has created the view and understanding which I now have.

You know, when I was age 19, and in St. John's, reading those hundred western books, by people like Aquinas, Augustine, Descartes, Hegel, Kant, Goethe, why... I thought anything that was Indian or Chinese was just a bunch of nonsense. One day, in the coffee shop, on the bulletin board, was a notice that one student was selling books like the Bhagavad-Gita, and the Tao. An older student, who knew how I thought, and saw me reading the notice, laughed at me and said, "You probably think such books are nonsense, a waste of time." I admitted to him that this was indeed how I felt.

Little did I realize, that, 30 years later, I would become totally fascinated by such writings, and immerse myself in them, and write extensively about them, and even have some influence upon people living in distant places like India and Malaysia and Singapore.

I think I want to try and get a DVD version of Pride and Prejudice and watch it. I know one of the forum members is writing a paper on it. I tried to help a student a while back with an assignment on the movie version of The Great Gatsby. It was some months before I could acquire the DVD, and I was too late to help with the assignment, since the deadline had passed. But I did read the book and watch the film.

So many books. So little time. (sigh)

Please, do bother, bother a lot, bother yourself sleepless. Whenever you have a spare moment, on a train, on a bus, in a waiting room, in the bathroom... don’t let those precious moments and opportunities slip through your fingers.

Another young student wrote to thank me for my post:

I have to say Sitaram your words have touched me deeply, and by reading what you have written you have really inspired me to think about reading the books that I otherwise probably wouldn't have even heard of, let alone consider reading. Thanks a lot.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Great topic Chew!. :) This is hardly the first board that I've been on. I'm a member of a ton of political debate boards. I then got into cigar boards in a major way. I never thought of looking into a board about books and I stumbled upon the site in an accidental way. I for one, love to talk to other people who have the same interests. I PM a lot of folks and like to chit-chat on various things. I find it to be a great learning experience and to know about people in general. One of the strengths of TBF is the wide variety of people. We have members all across the globe, so we have quite a number of people who make the site very interesting in terms of perspective. I am seriously hooked on this place though. I think that's obvious given my relative short time here and my inflated post count. :eek: Not to mention the fact that I do drop by on occassion during the day to see what is going on if the kids have a test or something.

Since joining this site, I've started reading some new authors that I've been curious about, as well as being more gung-ho about my reading time as opposed to other hobbies and things I love out of pure enjoyment. I do have a blog and check e-mail, but this is the first place I go to when I come online.

chewlianchillz said:
anyway, is this book related? Just came up with this topic, because I thought its time for me to start a new topic. But can't think of any other than this right now.

There's no need for "book related" in the:

NON-Book Discussions.....General Chat area.....

You can post on anything you like as long as it's not too political or religious in nature. Just look at the crap I've started.......farts...armpits...pizza....water...

continuation of my previous thread

That young student who thanked me also wrote this:

Lately though I have been, not forcing, but pushing myself more to read books that I initially wouldn't have thought to be good. I've just finished reading Jane Austen's "Persuasion" and at first found it difficult to actually enjoy it but the more I read the more I adapted to the style and thus really developed a taste for a style in which was totally alien to me. After a few more books ( I still need a gap to give me the murder, guts and gore ) I think I shall embark on "Pride and Prejudice" and I'm confident I will enjoy it.

I definately agree with you when you mentioned, by reading something forcibly, your tastes and interests do change. Two years ago I decided I wanted something different to what I usually read (which was Tolkien, Dahl, Peake) and I read Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the D'Urbervilles". I can honestly say that I fell in love with it. Simply by forcing my way through the first few chapters, I was romantically captivated by the world which Hardy painted. It wasn't like I had to adapt to his style - it was as if it was exactly what I'd been wanting to read and I'd found it simply because I wasn't arrogant to stick with the same authors. Also, Sitaram, your points on reading such texts as The Old Testament etc really make reading books such as Tess much more meaningful as there are constant references to the Bible (and very often Shakespeare).

Im only 16 and I feel lucky that I can enjoy such books, though my mum says I read too many old books now, and I need to read more modern books (which is why I've just started a George Orwell). It's strange how much your taste can change with a little discipline...

It is possible, through the Internet as "soapbox to the world", to enter into the minds and hearts of many people around the world, even after we are gone, and change their lives, hopefully for the better, and become a part of their lives.

Once, a reporter asked Gandhi, "What is your message to future generations?"

Gandhi, looking somewhat surprised, answered "My life is my message."

For some of us, I suppose, addicted to the Internet, our message has become our life.

Why am I here?

Because it's about books? Duh.

Actually, because it's about books and does NOT include the twin pestilences of political and religious mudslinging that ravage the countryside in other forums which I eventually left. I happen to be interested in both politics and religion but not in those types of vicious and ignorant fights, so I am eternally grateful they are not to be found here.

That TBF has great people is the primary positive reason, even if I mention it second.

Plus I guess I just like to talk and share views with interesting people.

That I have a topic I can talk about, books, is extremely fortunate. Otherwise it would be all technical stuff of no interest to anyone here, I suspect (although you have been opening the door a bit:) )

That's it!
Very simple,
But definitely the nicest, most congenial forum I have found, by far, :)
Peder

This is not the only forum to which I belong, but it is the one I visit most often. I am a member of craft forums and other book forums. What makes this one my favorite? It wasn't the first book-related forum I found, but it had more activity than many other boards. I was thrilled to find a place where I could talk about what I've read, and along the way I have made friends.

Peder said:
Why am I here?

Because it's about books? Duh.

Actually, because it's about books and does NOT include the twin pestilences of political and religious mudslinging that ravage the countryside in other forums which I eventually left. I happen to be interested in both politics and religion but not in those types of vicious and ignorant fights, so I am eternally grateful they are not to be found here.

That TBF has great people is the primary positive reason, even if I mention it second.

Plus I guess I just like to talk and share views with interesting people.

That I have a topic I can talk about, books, is extremely fortunate. Otherwise it would be all technical stuff of no interest to anyone here, I suspect (although you have been opening the door a bit:) )

That's it!
Very simple,
But definitely the nicest, most congenial forum I have found, by far, :)
Peder

what he said! :D

I started coming to this forum because I’m always looking for recommendations for additional reading material. I stayed because folks are so interesting.

There are other forums I visit for hockey, wine & Concours motorcycles, but this is the one I visit most often.

Motokid said:
there's not enough wine-ing for you 'round here????? :rolleyes:

There is quite enough wine-ing, thanks. The problem is that it isn't the variety I prefer to serve with a meal. This kind would give me indigestion. :eek:

Miss Shelf said:
what he said! :D
Miss Shelf,
Thanks for that endorsement. Kindred spirits are we?
But the quality of this forum is truly noticeable isn't it!
Yay for the mods I would say! Outstanding job, well done!
Peder

CDA,
I'm guessing it is the lack of religion and politics that appeals?
Because many others have already pointed out just how nice the people are.
Peder

Peder said:
CDA,
Peder

That is one thing I noticed with political boards. While you may be friends and genuinely like those who disagree with you, after awhile, there tends to be a good deal of stagnation. A topic is proposed and you can predict with 99.9% accuracy what their position on the given issue will be. Turnover on those sites are very high as people stumble upon them, post like mad, and then flame out when they get bored of the whole routine.

Peder said:
Like yourself I am interested in both Political and Religious debates and have been involved in some good discussions on other forums in the past, without it leading to personal insults. People put their views across in a polite and respectful manner even if they did not agree, however I do believe that the user base affects the type of discussion you have.

Peder said:
CDA,
Peder

Aye, indeed. Religious and political debate within context, fine. However, inane bickering is just tedious. Plenty of that around the interwebnet. Here though, well, how to put it? Yes: as Ice says, the user base does indeed affect the type of discussion.

Not many hippies here, either.

SFG, Ice, CDA,
It sounds like you know you have something valuable and that it is well worth keeping that way. Good show! (If that is the right expression, coming from an American :) )
Sincerely,
Peder

Back