• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wolf in Shadow- Underrated masterpeice.

Authour

kickbox
Hey there, I was wondering how many of you guys have read british fantasy authour David Gemmell's Wolf in Shadow. Its a western adventure set in a post apocalyptic world. What really blew me away when I first read the book were how interesting the characters are and Gemmell's ability to really make them both enigmatic and sympathetic. But the strongest point was the dialouge, which I thought was one of the best Ive ever read in any book. Really thought provoking and magnificient.

I would like to hear anyone who has read this underrated masterpeice or has something to say on this subject.

I have read all of Gemmell's work to date.

Personally I love all of the Jon Shannow novels. They are different and exciting compared to his normal blood and thunder, quasi-historical style. I like the intricacy of the story that he lays out, and the way that you discover the events leading up to the Apocalypse.

One thing I wasn't so keen on was how those Sipstrassi (sp?) stones appeared in the novel. Yep, they're okay, but I look on them very much as a plot device. "Okay, let's injure or even kill someone to get the readers truly gripped, but it's okay because I can bring them back with a little dose of Sipstrassi......"

Other than that, they are superlative books and some of Gemmell's best (up there with his more recent Rigante series).

I got this book today for £1 ( yay me! ) :D

I had heard good things about it, and so I jumped at the chance to snap it up for such a low price.

I notice there are two other books with the same character. Is Wolf in Shadow self contained? Are the other books self contained?

Ive not read many of Gemmell's book, the fight theme didnt appeal to me really. But saying that I may return to his newer novels as I do keep seeing a lot of feedback on them :D

I have never been a big fan of him either, but I have heard so many good things about the novel that I picked it up. Hopefully I won't be disappointed!

I really enjoyed his "White Wolf" and "Swords of Night and Day".:D
Now I will have to try "Wolf in Shadow".

He creates some of the best fantasy characters, then tops it off with lots of great action.

Back