• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wolves of the Calla - Stephen King

SFG75

This is the fifth part of a six series compilation of The Dark Tower series. I'm starting out with Calla rather accidentally, as I purchased it not knowing that it was part of a series of books. Anyone read this? I'm currently 150 pages into it and so far, so good.:cool:

There are some things that I'd like a little clarification on if folks don't mind correcting/adding things to my musings here. For one, Rolland and his gang are from the 20th century, but from the way that they travel, it sounds as if the U.S. in the future goes backwards in time due to some apolyptic event and the people of Calla live like the amish. Is this for the most part accurate? And while they are harassed by the wolves, are they literal wolves or more alien ones that have just earned that moniker?

The dream sequence is interesting in that it shows how each of them lived before this big apocalyptic event, though I could be missing something there as well. Any thoughts?

SFG75 said:
though I could be missing something...

What, like the first four books? :eek:

SFG said:
Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?! STOP READING NOW, SFG!! Seriously, you are not going to get the whole effect from coming into the story at such a late stage - you're over halfway through the entire series, and believe me, you need to have read the first four books. It's not going to make much sense without this knowledge. Your questions show that coming into the series so late has left you slightly bewildered, as it would anyone who missed the first four books (there are seven altogether, not six). I beg you, stop reading now and go and buy The Gunslinger, otherwise your enjoyment of The Dark Tower will be completely ruined. :(

Agree 110% with Halo. "The Dark Tower" isn't a series of loosely connected novels that can be read on their own - it's one long narrative, essentially a 4000 page novel. For your own good: shelve it, get part 1, start over or you'll be like the guy who walks into a movie theatre 80 minutes into the movie and goes "Who's that guy? Why is she angry with him? And who are they talking about? I don't get it. This movie sucks."

Hmmmm, okay. Luckily I left the book at my brother in law's house. I'll definitely pick up the first one and read up. In the meantime, I have a historical fiction book to enjoy in the mean time.
th_025.gif

SFG75 said:
Hmmmm, okay. Luckily I left the book at my brother in law's house. I'll definitely pick up the first one and read up.

Thank goodness for that! :)

Back