• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wonder (a semi-horror vignette)

novella

Further practice. Can someone give a decent, broad definition of the horror genre, by the way?

Wonder

Why are scabs so irresistible? There's something about a scab that invites you to touch it, to wonder at its formation, to examine its strange surface again and again, to obsess about the secret activity underneath and whether it has done its job yet. To peel back an edge and peek. It hurts to dislodge a scab, but somehow its worth it.

Kelly had a great big lumpy scab on the heel of her palm. She'd fallen over onto the pavement a week before, scraping about a square inch of skin off on the rough cement. Her platform sandal had caught the edge of a paving stone, and she'd put her hand out to break the fall. Better the hand than the face, she'd thought at the time. It was just a scrape, but it was a bad one. It took three days to lose its moist, raw pinkness and even think about healing. She went two days without washing her hair, just hoping it would start going in the right direction.

Now the scab was formed. It was a triumph, in a way. The magic of the body doing its quiet work. It looked like corned beef on toast. Worse than that, really. Dried chipped beef with melted fat in the crevices. The lady in the post office had noticed it when she was writing out an address. She had to hold the pen awkwardly. She caught the woman staring at it. The wound wasn't large, but it was exceptionally ugly. Kelly found it fascinating.

She found herself touching it with her fingertips every few minutes, as if to reassure herself that it was really there. She crunkled her hand to see how flexible it was. The topography changed every day, and she examined it under bright lights, in direct sunlight against the steering wheel while she was driving.

She resisted the urge to turn up an edge. It wouldn't be good. It was too early. Two more days maybe. She sat at the kitchen table watching the scab for two hours one night, sipping a strong scotch and ginger ale from a tumbler. Having a scab like that was like looking at life and death as it happened. Touching it, considering whether to peel it back, was a confrontation with pain and the fear of pain.

Why couldn't she leave it alone?, she wondered as she lay in bed, her torn palm facing upward, her fourth finger extending down to touch it. It was a stigmata, proof of something. Proof of the vulnerability of the flesh, the miracle of life.

The next day it had tightened at the edges and flattened. The red rim had lightened to a pale pink. She felt it less. It was going to disappear soon. The surface was brown and cracked like Texas earth in a dry season, like the top of a cobbler brown and hot from the oven. Burned pizza cheese in bubbly lumps.

She kept her mind on it all that day, but she did not pick at it. She wanted to see if she could outlast the big scab and let nature do its job without interference. A voice in her head told her to run her nail along the edge, but she didn't do it.

Two days later, she woke and found that the scab was gone. In its place was clean, pink skin, tender and soft like baby's skin. The ugliness had fallen away, the newness had taken its place. She kissed it and knew it was a miracle, an ordinary miracle.

novella said:
Why don't you offer a few ideas on what it might be? Is this vignette horror in any sense?
So far this story doesn't ring true as horror (for me, at least). But who knows? Maybe you will further develop this story and her obsession with scabs escalates into something that will change my mind. Horror is a broad genre, or maybe not even a genre at all, but something different... maybe an additive to fiction.

Horror, in my opinion, is best described by the Horror Writers Association: What is Horror?. I can't seem to describe my thoughts of horror differently.

Let me know what you think.

Edit: Okay, I thought I would take a stab at my personal definition of "horror" (pun was, of course, sourly intended): Horror is a blade that pierces the heart, making our emotions bleed... and can be anything which makes us uneasy, makes us cringe, makes us squirm, makes us... you get the point. So, for someone with a weak stomach for scabs, this could be considered horror. For someone who picks scabs on a regular basis, this could not be considered horror.

i look for something that is going to make me cringe, or make me afraid to put my feet on the floor when i am getting out of bed. after reading your mayo story, i was waiting for the thing that was going to make me go "oh my god!!!!!!" with the scab vignette. it put me in mind of a stephen king short (can't think of the name, sorry) where a kid watches his dad slowly morph into a monster after drinking a skunky beer. i was waiting for something to happen either with the scab or under it.

jenngorham said:
i look for something that is going to make me cringe, or make me afraid to put my feet on the floor when i am getting out of bed.

But what if there is no floor when you wake up?

not a huge fear of mine really. i am less afraid of what i may become, and more afraid of what may be coming after me.
is that something that scares you?

But if you woke up like him and there was no floor then all six feet would disappear into the void.... :eek:

Tell him not to be silly, Jenn. How could you slide into a void? He is just trying to scare you. Tell his mum and she'll ground him and send him to bed without afters

no he got me. being changed into a bug doesn't scare me half as much as waking up and slipping out of bed into a void. the only thing scarier would be waking up next to stewart and having him push me. :D

No, he didn't get you. He is just a silly boy. You cannot slide if you are inside a void because it's void, there is nothing to slide in. And it cannot be for an eternity because, if it's that big, it has to be in space, not on earth, hence no atmosphere, hence you will die very quickly.

Gee, I thought we were all just scuttling about. What's so bad about scuttling? Until they get a giant roach motel, I think I'll be okay.

Back