• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

WORD manuscript template?

Google suggests...

Really, there's no hard and fast template. Since you've already alluded that you have a publisher, perhaps they should just tell you their preferred template. But, if you already have a publisher, then you have already submitted and your manuscript has been accepted, so what's the worry?

My personal preference is to use Courier New, size 12, and with double spacing.

I think that LULU.COM have one that they offer. It's got all the gutter and edges set up.
I use my own template now for publishing for paperback, mobile and WORD and it's taken me ages to get to the point where I like it.
I guess everyone finds their own style. I took some time to actually look at the FORMATTING of dozens of paperbacks to find out where the common layout features were, copied those then imposed my own style for font, chapter break (ie start on the next page or first RIGHT page), chapter headings, page headers indents, single / double quotes for speech etc... it's all personal preference and helps to give your final book a sense of identity.

A couple of things I'd say about word is that you REALLY ought to try using the STYLES to set up your paragraphs and even use the automatic style changes. IE, first paragraph with no indent always has block paragraph with an indent.
Use INSERT|BREAK to start a new chapter, then the page headers will automatically copy all the way down the rest of the chapter. You only have to set the text in the header on the first page of a chapter and not each page... word's REALLY powerful if you use it properly.

Andy

Ok, at the risk of being burned at the stake for self-pubicity... ;)
Go to www.sci-fi-cafe.com and grab the DOC version of the free book 'Pi-R-Us'.
I've recenty updated all the DOC formats of the books there to something like the printable format used for Pocket Book size on LULU.

Incidentally, if you want to pubish your stuff for mobile devices for free, get the MSReader plug-in for Word at microsoft.com, it's also free

(Has anyone noticed that I'm rather fond of stuff that's FREE??) hehe

Back