• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Work out?

Pretty interesting talk about marathon running. The toe nail thing doesn't sound very pleasant, so I'll leave that to others. I've never participated in anything like that, though we do have state games where people can register and participate. I've always wanted to run the 5K race in the state capital that is held every year. I always miss the deadline or allow myself to get out of shape every other year.

Did the treadmill today.
I walked a bit over a mile - at the fairly brisk pace of 4 miles/hour.
I always set it to that speed because I remember Richard Backman's (Stephen King's) story - The Long Walk. That story really stuck in my mind. I remember in the story that 4 miles per hour was the pace they had to maintain to avoid being ... strongly persuaded to drop out of the race (he he he).
So, first time I did the treadmill, I wanted to see just what 4 miles/hour really is. It's fast. Any faster, I have to start jogging. And I can't jog for 15 minutes - yet.

Libre said:
Did the treadmill today.
I walked a bit over a mile - at the fairly brisk pace of 4 miles/hour.
I always set it to that speed because I remember Richard Backman's (Stephen King's) story - The Long Walk. That story really stuck in my mind. I remember in the story that 4 miles per hour was the pace they had to maintain to avoid being ... strongly persuaded to drop out of the race (he he he).
So, first time I did the treadmill, I wanted to see just what 4 miles/hour really is. It's fast. Any faster, I have to start jogging. And I can't jog for 15 minutes - yet.

You know I forgot all about that story. It's a good one. I haven't read any Stephen King in years but I used to be quite a fan.

As for exercise. Yup I do it. Little bit of everything. Used to be a pretty good runner, lots of road races and even some trophies. Body building in my younger days. And....don't laugh I paid my way through college by teaching aerobics. I was even on ESPN once.

I'm big into running. I go every morning. It's true that the first week of hard running (after a long absence) is really hard on your body..and painful, but it goes away. I love it. I got into it partially to fix my poor sleeping habits, since I was in the habit of staying up half the night reading and getting poor sleep after that because it would be light out for half the time I was asleep. I'm glad to see so many active people in this forum. Too many people just lack motivation to get up from the couch. I've taken karate and yoga too, but not for a couple years. I am a big yoga fan, but it doesn't win my heart like running does.

There's nothing better (well there is, but it's still a nice phrase) than not feeling like working out but pushing yourself and leaving the gym after a good session. It makes you feel really good about yourself.

I too go in and out of fads which probably isn't very good. I will work my fitness up to a good level and then let it drop for a while until I start putting weight on and feel like I have to start again.

Aside from the gym I play badminton once or twice a week and love it. I've only been doing this for about 4 months and am really glad that I've taken it up. I'm surprised at how many people play this sport and have only realised since I've been getting into it myself.

Back