• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Work out?

steffee,
Ha ha, I wish (that I could do it, not that I could marry you, though I'm sure that's a very attractive proposition, but... oh help).
:( :D

stewart:I'm just getting ideas.
You can't just stop when it gets to the good bit, please explain in detail what these ideas are...we the forum have a right to know because well because i'm nosy.

I do some modified pilates, swimming, some aqua-aerobics, and have just added a few weights to my regimen. I am limited right now due to my spinal cord injury, but am starting to work my way up to new things.

Right now I have to say I hate how it makes me feel (except for the swimming, which usually makes me feel quite good), because the pain afterwards is almost unbearable. But I plug on, because I know it is the only way I won't be overcome.

I was listening to a show put on by Dr. Cooper (the father of the modern aerobic movement) this past weekend and they were talking about how exercise actually increases your ability to also stay focused and increases your mental acuity and how it has a positive effect on people/children struggling in certain areas of learning. They have done studies on having people do exercise before a particularly difficult subject or event and they do far better than when they don't exercise. Amazing isn't it, but makes so much sense!

After swimming in particular, not only do I feel physically exhilerated, but I feel totally mentally alert. That really got me psyched to go to the gym every morning and I hope to start this week (for swimming at least)!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I do walk with my kids and dog everyday. We have two parks nearby and live on a greenbelt, so it is a wonderful environment for this and have been trying to add the distance daily to increase my stamina. I also am planning on adding a yoga regimen for me and the kids (we have been doing a little bit here and there together). I can't do all the moves, but they can. I have a friend who developed a yoga program for kids, so we are mainly using that, so it is easy for me, too.

Today I did 30 min on the recumbant bike.
Longest time ever. I'm better with weights than with cardio exercises - my endurance is for sh*t. But, I can do a bit longer all the time. The recumbant bike is easier for me than the treadmill, which is easier than the cross trainer, which is easier than the arc trainer.
But, I'm pushing forward - far better than vegitating. As lady.cordelia said above, exercise really exhilerates you.
Couple days ago I did 3 sets of incline dumbell presses with 25lb dumbells (each). I was pretty happy with that. May not seem like all that much to you big guys, but my first day at the gym I could barely lift them, much less do 3 sets of presses (with a turn at the top, too).
All sorts of (good) things are happening in my body. It's really a great thing to do, after my relative inactivity for years.

Libre said:
Today I did 30 min on the recumbant bike.
Longest time ever. I'm better with weights than with cardio exercises - my endurance is for sh*t. But, I can do a bit longer all the time. The recumbant bike is easier for me than the treadmill, which is easier than the cross trainer, which is easier than the arc trainer.
But, I'm pushing forward - far better than vegitating. As lady.cordelia said above, exercise really exhilerates you.
Couple days ago I did 3 sets of incline dumbell presses with 25lb dumbells (each). I was pretty happy with that. May not seem like all that much to you big guys, but my first day at the gym I could barely lift them, much less do 3 sets of presses (with a turn at the top, too).
All sorts of (good) things are happening in my body. It's really a great thing to do, after my relative inactivity for years.

that's great! i am such a wimp on the weights right now! you have to start somewhere! i like the recumbant bike, too. do you have one that does arms and legs? i really like that one.

lady.cordelia said:
Right now I have to say I hate how it makes me feel (except for the swimming, which usually makes me feel quite good), because the pain afterwards is almost unbearable. But I plug on, because I know it is the only way I won't be overcome.
Oh, I don't deny that this stuff hurts. Sometimes, after going a bit too far with yoga, I have sore muscles for a week. Really sore. The kind where you take one breath, and feel pain in fifty places. But it's nice pain. :p

I don't know about your spinal cord injury, but ouch, that makes me cringe just writing it. After recently having a kidney infection (and bladder/urinary tract infections at least every two months - I don't ever sweat, how weird), I can empathise with back pain.

Oh, and swimming. I hear of all these people who love swimming and I can never understand. I do it wrong. My sister, who could just swim forever, tells me I do it wrong. It hurts my chest and after one 50m length I think I will die at any moment. Somehow, I have a 250m certificate obtained at school that I think I must have cheated to gain it, because I know I could never swim that much (well, never say never, maybe I could over a period of say, two weeks). Add to that the sheer annoyance of lugging around a swimsuit, towel, shampoo, conditioner, hairdryer... well, you know what I mean, it's a pain. Plus I worry that the chlorine will turn my fake tan green, or something.

That's strange. Even though I run a lot, I find the cross trainer, by far the easiest.

Good for you! That does sound a lot, to me, actually. I couldn't do it.

It's great that you're feeling good things happen in your body. :)

Oh, I don't deny that this stuff hurts. Sometimes, after going a bit too far with yoga, I have sore muscles for a week. Really sore. The kind where you take one breath, and feel pain in fifty places. But it's nice pain. :p

Don't workout for like six months and THEN try to do yoga.:eek:

I
don't know about your spinal cord injury, but ouch, that makes me cringe just writing it. After recently having a kidney infection (and bladder/urinary tract infections at least every two months - I don't ever sweat, how weird), I can empathise with back pain.

This isn't the "What ails you" thread, but I understand back pain entirely. I've thrown it out twice, so I like to try and keep the weight down, which I feel, is the cause of it in the first place.

Oh, and swimming. I hear of all these people who love swimming and I can never understand. I do it wrong. My sister, who could just swim forever, tells me I do it wrong. It hurts my chest and after one 50m length I think I will die at any moment. Somehow, I have a 250m certificate obtained at school that I think I must have cheated to gain it, because I know I could never swim that much (well, never say never, maybe I could over a period of say, two weeks). Add to that the sheer annoyance of lugging around a swimsuit, towel, shampoo, conditioner, hairdryer... well, you know what I mean, it's a pain. Plus I worry that the chlorine will turn my fake tan green, or something.

Swimming is awesome!, there isn't an easier activity on your joints. I did that religiously for about two years. Where I presently live, the only place to swim is the pond where the pheasant hunters like to hang out.

It's great that you're feeling good things happen in your body

This must be a universal phenomenon. After about a week, I go around picking up manhole covers from the street.;)

SFG75 said:
This isn't the "What ails you" thread, but I understand back pain entirely. I've thrown it out twice, so I like to try and keep the weight down, which I feel, is the cause of it in the first place.

hmm that's not what i was trying to make it - just relating why i have to limit some of my activity. however, i think the response to my post was just empathy - not trying to whine or relating whatever ails us all, just like you mentioned you understand back pain having "thrown out" yours twice.

and you are right about the weights. it really can wreak havoc on your back, what you lift i mean.

SFG75 said:
Don't workout for like six months and THEN try to do yoga.:eek:
:eek: :eek:

No thanks. Although I didn't run for two months due to a sprained ankle, then ran 10 miles expecting to be unable to move the next day and I was fine, other than for shin splints. First time I did a half marathon though, when I was 18, thought 13 miles would be a doddle, and 'practised' by running a couple of laps of the local park about four times in the week before the run. The day after the race, I literally couldn't get out of bed. My dad had to lift me out of bed and help me downstairs, after I'd waited in bed for someone to help me. But even then I'd been kickboxing twice a week for four years, so wasn't exactly unfit.

Swimming is awesome!, there isn't an easier activity on your joints. I did that religiously for about two years. Where I presently live, the only place to swim is the pond where the pheasant hunters like to hang out.
See, and there's another swimming is the best advocate. Anyway, it makes your skin spotty. :p

Don't you have indoor pools?

This must be a universal phenomenon. After about a week, I go around picking up manhole covers from the street.;)
:)

lady cordelia said:
SFG said:
hmm that's not what i was trying to make it - just relating why i have to limit some of my activity. however, i think the response to my post was just empathy - not trying to whine or relating whatever ails us all, just like you mentioned you understand back pain having "thrown out" yours twice.
Well, you're right of course, lady cordelia, but if we girls want to grumble about our aches and pains, we shall grumble, and there's not a thing anyone can do about it. ;)

But I took it that SFG was saying about himself, it's not a 'what ails you' thread but he's had backache too...

steffee said:
Well, you're right of course, lady cordelia, but if we girls want to grumble about our aches and pains, we shall grumble, and there's not a thing anyone can do about it. ;)

But I took it that SFG was saying about himself, it's not a 'what ails you' thread but he's had backache too...

yes, we shall! ;) and you were probably right and i read it wrong.

btw, when you ran the marathon did your toenails fall off? i heard that can happen and it never appealed to me to try it after i heard that (although i had wanted to at one time), not that i could now anyways, but stilll. yikes! bravo to those that can do it!

lady.cordelia said:
yes, we shall! ;) and you were probably right and i read it wrong.

btw, when you ran the marathon did your toenails fall off? i heard that can happen and it never appealed to me to try it after i heard that (although i had wanted to at one time), not that i could now anyways, but stilll. yikes! bravo to those that can do it!
Woah, toe nails fall off? No way. Have done four half marathons now and never has anything like that happened. Yikes. Maybe with a full marathon they might. :eek:

You never know, your back may heal quickly and if you wanted to, you could run a marathon. :)

steffee said:
Woah, toe nails fall off? No way. Have done four half marathons now and never has anything like that happened. Yikes. Maybe with a full marathon they might. :eek:

You never know, your back may heal quickly and if you wanted to, you could run a marathon. :)

well, it was a good friend of mine. she ran a 5k and said that first they all turned black and many subsequently fell off. poor little toesies.

well, it has been a while now, but i am getting better, so maybe one day. right now, i'm just thankful i can walk. i would love to walk in the breast cancer walk one day. you don't have to run or anything, just walk it. that would be nice. that is a goal.

Toenails usually do not fall off unless you run many, many miles a week. This is common in Ultramarathon runners who can log a hundred or more miles a week training. Black toenails are more common, but usually are not bad enough to come off.

I would say your friend who ran the 5k has shoes that do not fit well. Specifically the front of the shoe, or toe box, was probably too small.
Also, at least a half an inch is recommended from your toes to the front of the interior of the shoe.

If your friend runs a lot, she may want to get refitted for shoes.

interesting. thanks. i'll let her know!

and i still do this with my athletic shoes, because for me it is comfortable. my mom always said i should be able to fit my thumb in between my bit toe and the top of the shoe. at some stores they tell me that i am doing it wrong, that this was for growth as a child, but i stick to it. glad to know that it is correct! it certainly feels more comfortable.

My only exercise comes when I feel like dragging the PS2 out to the garage and hooking everything up in order to play Dance Dance Revolution.

Back