• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

WorldWide publishers

CoolGuy

Could any one name some worldwide publishers that will publish my book and ship them to my part of the world the caribbean.

Is there any free ones that will sell my nook earn money from and give me a percentage that will ship to my part etc.

I'm very limited and self publishing is difficult for me.

I did a google search for "self publishing" and there were several. I'm sure some of them are costly, but you could probably find one that suits your needs.

Unfortunately, I don't have any personal experience with any of them. The xlibris mentioned above looked at first glance to be the most reputable of the lot.

I have checked it the prices aren't that bad and it seems as if elf-publishing is the way to go these days.

what is your book about Coolguy?

Hi Cool guy,

Have you got anywhere closer to getting your book published? What is it about? Whereabouts in the Caribbean are you? Self-publishing can get quite expensive, how many words is your book?

Try PublishAmerica.com

They are not self-publishers but are quickly becoming one of the largest publishers of new authors.

Hi Flowers,

I haven't been published yet but i am getting closer i', looking into a caribbean publishing company now. I live in the Trinidad and Tobago. I've written a Poetry Book with about 30 poems. Mostly generic based poems with a few focused on my country.
Thanks for asking.

Publish america doesn't deal with my area is what they say. So that's another one crossed off the list.

CoolGuy,

I really believe that you shouldn't sell your writing short by automatically trying to self-publish without first trying to go the traditional route. There are PLENTY of well known publishers in Trinidad and Jamaica that publish poetry. Here are a few to consider before you spend your hard-earned money for a product that you'll have to market yourself:

Ian Randle Publishers A well known independent publisher that does a lot of Caribbean poetry.

House of Nehesi Publishing Part of St. Martin's Press, a New York publisher. They are international.

MacMillan Publishers This one is in Jamaica, but is a HUGE international company.

There are also a lot of writers groups in Trinidad. Joining one (or more) would probably help you get some good contacts at agencies and publishers.

Writers Groups in Trinidad

Wouldn't it be better in the long-run to get PAID to publish, rather than PAY to publish?? ;)

Good luck!
Cathy

-

Ah well, maybe not.
For folks who have problems starting up, self-publish is a good route.
Commercial publishing houses review tons of books everyday and as a new author, chances are that you won't get readily accepted on the first few tries.

Then, when it comes to distribution of the book, these commercial publishing houses take away a big percentage of the profits, leaving you with 1% - 3%.

So, for folks who face financial budget constrains, a good way is to self-publish, get an ISBN number(they're free in lots of countries other than the US) and negotiate with bookstores to sell your books.
(because you set the price, you can give them a 70% discount and still earn the profits)

Self-publishing is basically a good choice, because you also get to design and choose your book cover, or even hire your own artist to do it. In publishing houses, you can't do that.

Have a nice day,
Xeon.

Sorry, Xeon, I have to disagree.

If the poems are good, there are publishers who would LOVE to print them. I haven't found it all that difficult to find a publisher (actually two of them!) and they are both well-known houses that pay good royalties. One pays 10% and the other pays 8%. That might not sound like much until you consider their DISTRIBUTION capabilities! 90% of 100 copies isn't nearly the same as 8% of 60,000 copies, or 10% of 4,000 copies.

In either event, CoolGuy, please do take the time to read a few warnings about some of the bad publishers and POD printers from a couple of writer watchdog sites.

Another Realm - Preditor publishers

Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers - Writer Beware!

Good luck!
Cathy

Cathy C said:
CoolGuy,

I really believe that you shouldn't sell your writing short by automatically trying to self-publish without first trying to go the traditional route. There are PLENTY of well known publishers in Trinidad and Jamaica that publish poetry. Here are a few to consider before you spend your hard-earned money for a product that you'll have to market yourself:

Ian Randle Publishers A well known independent publisher that does a lot of Caribbean poetry.

House of Nehesi Publishing Part of St. Martin's Press, a New York publisher. They are international.

MacMillan Publishers This one is in Jamaica, but is a HUGE international company.

There are also a lot of writers groups in Trinidad. Joining one (or more) would probably help you get some good contacts at agencies and publishers.

Writers Groups in Trinidad

Wouldn't it be better in the long-run to get PAID to publish, rather than PAY to publish?? ;)

Good luck!
Cathy

I know about these publishers. I am loooking to go through with one of them. I decided to go through another phase of editing and refining, I've already contacted them and they seem interested. Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you updated.

Back