• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Worth Dying For: Has Jack Reacher become a serial killer?

sabrina

Jack Reacher is a violent character. Frankly it's part of his appeal. When face with danger, he reacts immediately with crushing blows to disable his opponent. He stood up for the underdog. I loved him because he was noble and inside good inspite of his violent nature. But in Worth Dying For, did Reacher morph into Dexter. He executed the two thungs near the end of the book. Sure they were out to kill him but he had them subdued. If he had broken their legs (and arms), I would have though it was just Reacher. But execution? I'll not post a spoiler and ruin the end of the book for those who haven't read it but I will say, I finished this booking thinking, no more Jack Reacher for me.

I love jack Reacher books and I have not read latest ones but if he killed these thugs I am sure they needed killing. Only problem I have with reacher books is, as I mentioned in other posting, there are sometimes innaccuracies regarding weaponry and military tactics, but despite this I love the stories.

I love jack Reacher books and I have not read latest ones but if he killed these thugs I am sure they needed killing. Only problem I have with reacher books is, as I mentioned in other posting, there are sometimes innaccuracies regarding weaponry and military tactics, but despite this I love the stories.

I haven't found any real in accuracies as regards weaponry or tactics in any of Lee Child's books. Could you perhaps provide an example?

And in a way hasn't Reacher always been a borderline sociopathic killer? Just one that happened to kill individuals that deserved killing. But in that particular context he's much like certain other hero's as portrayed in modern mystery fiction.

The genre as a whole is harder and grittier than it's ever been.

I forgot many of the details from the Jack Reacher books that were inaccurate, but one I do remember is when he was walking around with a Ruger .44 magnum stuck down the waistband of his pants. I know Reacher is big guy, but so am I and I would never carry a cannon like this in my pants. He had it stuck in back and was sitting on it in the car. I once tried this with a 4 inch Smith and Wesson model 10, which is much smaller weapon, and it felt like I had a 10 pound hemmorhoid.

I forgot many of the details from the Jack Reacher books that were inaccurate, but one I do remember is when he was walking around with a Ruger .44 magnum stuck down the waistband of his pants. I know Reacher is big guy, but so am I and I would never carry a cannon like this in my pants. He had it stuck in back and was sitting on it in the car. I once tried this with a 4 inch Smith and Wesson model 10, which is much smaller weapon, and it felt like I had a 10 pound hemmorhoid.

Actually they were Colt Anacondas , which aren't quite as large as the RedHawk or New Model Blackhawks , roughly of a size parity with the Model 29 Smith and Wesson. But yes it's a large package to be stuffing into your pants , hell my 7.5 Redhawk is a hassle to hip carry or carry in a crossbody holster , the custom Davis 'Trail' conversion Redhawk I have is considerably easier to carry with a 3.25 pipe on it , it's primary purpose being utilisation as a backpacking sidearm in big bear or hog country.

And insofar as it goes I'd never carry *any* sidearm shoved down my pants , too many decent cheap paddle holsters and the like around.

But now for the flip side , there are authors I've quit reading because at times the details and background research detracted from the plot , I mean do we really need 30 pages on the intricacies of a Soviet Sub , I mean what's next Clancy? Gonna include the schematics next time?

I still want one of those mythical AKs in .45 acp , it might be a decent longarm then and certainly better than 7.62x39.

I am sorry bluenote you are correct. I remember now it was an anaconda. I also agree sometimes they do overdo it with all details about weaponry and such. it is not really relevant to story. If someone like Agatha Christie makes mistake about guns I don't mind really as no one expects old English lady to be a gun expert. it only bothers me when they claim to be an expert or police or military veteran and then they don't know things that they should know, if they are for real. I also would like to see a .45 AK.

Back