• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Writers ands books insight

saliotthomas

Just a vague thread to post inquiries on books and authors you heard of.I know google,amazon,and many others have informations but sometime a personnal insight is much better.

Like i'm about to start Soldier of the great war by Mark Helprin,it seem good at first sight but any of you heard of him or it.

i got also got Grass by Sheri s Tepper ?

and Harlan Ellison - Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral?

and Harlan Ellison - Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral?

I haven't read any Harlan Ellison in far too long, and I don't think I've read that one at all, but I've loved everything of his that I have read; smart, cynical and imaginative. And he's quite the character too... take this clip for instance.

Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral is certainly a title that would get me to read a book, no matter what! Many covers, just by themselves, -- far too many, in fact -- also make me wish I had the time to read the book.

Beer good,i loved the clip,the guy has the energy of joey Pesci.It's a probleme i also have with painting-artiste working for free publicity my a..-

Peder so right, you guess why i got the book

i got also got Grass by Sheri s Tepper ?

Great book. She's very much a feminist and environmentalist and that comes through strongly in her books, but Grass isn't man bashing that I can remember. It's one that can be enjoyed for the story without feeling like you're being beaten over the head by the moral.

If you enjoy it then you'll want to also read Raising The Stones and Sideshow as they're part of the same universe. My favourite of hers is Beauty which is a sci fi reworking of Sleeping Beauty that gets very dark in places and leaves me all upset but still wanting to read it again. She's one of my favourite authors.

Thanks Litany,i guess your the Fantasy / SciFi expert here,As Lenny is post apocalips,horror and ....how to put it...Romance:p

I have some others,like Giles Milton?

or is Gary Kilworth ant good,i just found out he wrote Highlander(i did not know it was a book)

and Jess Walter?

that it for now,thanks in advance

Just going fishing again

Two more
Tree of smoke by Denis Johnson

Measuring the world by Daniel Kehlmann

both seem very interesting,the first about Vietnam war with a special twist and parrallele stories,the segond Toward the end of the eighteenth century, two young Germans set out to measure the world.

thanks in advance

I've read one book by Denis Johnson (Jesus' Son) and loved it. Tree of Smoke seems to be pretty good too, based on the awards it's gotten etc.

I've heard very differing opionions on Kehlmann; some say it's hilarious, others thought it childish. I'll read it eventually.

Thank you Beer good,been a bit out of the way and not been a new's type,i seldom hear of the acclaims.They seem interesting .

I have another one there ,Peter CharlesMelman - Landsman that cought my curiosity,without waiting to abuse....

Saliot,

I read Soldier of the Great War. It was very dense. Helperin knows how to write but he can exceed even my love of long books at times.

Thanks Writer44,I read A soldier of a great war,but i had some breaks along the way.A great stylist he is.
Thank you again,my next is city in winter.

Back