• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Writing Workshop

Stewart

Probably just for the writers here, although those looking for a bit of fun should be able to participate.

For those trying to break out of writer's block, or looking for new directions in which to take their writing, would there be much interest in regular writing workshops? You know the sort of thing, where a topic is suggested and you write 500 words (or more, if the feeling takes you) and others comment upon it.

Workshops working on description, dialogue, setting, character, etc. through small exercises i.e. think of an object from your past and try to make it sinister, write a short piece about the following phrase, describe a person, conduct a conversation between two people at a bus stop.

Thoughts?

I think it sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how it'd work. We all have time constraints and so on, and I think you'd need someone with top organisational skills to make it work.

I wasn't thinking it would be a set time sort of thing, just feel free to drop in and out. All that matters is that people are commenting upon it constructively.

Writers Digest has something similar to this. Every month, there is a writing task (50 words or fewer) to keep your pen flowing. The subject matter is continously changing, sometimes even ridiculous. It is a lot of fun, and this idea sounds fun given the higher word count.

Fifty words isn't very much. Isn't that very limiting? I definitely prefer the idea of a longer word count.

I was thinking that without a 'due by' date, as it were, you'd end up getting people starting and then never getting around to finishing or posting. But 500 words isn't so hard to knock up. Maybe post the task at the beginning of the month to be completely by the end?

Sounds like fun! Yeah, just give us a partial sentence and we will finish the rest...500 words or less. Should it be POV specific, i.e. all of us write 3rd or 1st person, just to get a feal for proper POV use...or anything goes just for fun?

Stewart, are you gonna set this up? Or are you waiting to see if more people are going to join in?

Back