• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wuthering Heights

The Purple Worm

I know there are a few versions that have been done for film and television of Wuthering Heights but I must confess I have only seen one... part of one actually. I believe it's also the first, starring Lawrence Olivier and Heathcliff. Has anybody else seen this version, and what did you think? Everyone else I have spoken to has said they loved it and thought Lawrence Olivier made a wonderful Heathcliff.

The first thing I noticed was how completely altered the story was and how much had been left out or just changed entirely. I know there are limitations to black and white productions and I often find that especially with dark novels like Wuthering Heights this can be an asset... but I wonder if the director had actually read the book? I think it's a wonderful story and Lawrence Olivier did make a very good Heathcliff, I just feel the film would have been much stronger had it actually been closer to the true story.

I've watched the one acted by Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes.
That one was poor I think because it's extremely short and lots of scence were being cut.
The emotions are not strong enough, to be honest.
Anyway, I know there are about 6 versions of wuthering heights and I really want to watch them all. It's hard to find though.

I guess the one you mention is a lot more better than mine.

I just saw the MTV version. I have to admit that I haven't read the book, but I don't have much doubt that this version of the movie demolished it.

They are all, to a greater or lesser degree, tripe. The definitive film or TV version of 'Wuthering Heights' has yet to be made. If it ever can be that is.

Has anybody else seen this version, and what did you think? Everyone else I have spoken to has said they loved it and thought Lawrence Olivier made a wonderful Heathcliff.

The first thing I noticed was how completely altered the story was and how much had been left out or just changed entirely.

I saw the Olivier movie a few years ago just after reading the book. They took at least one scene from the book and turned it 180 degrees. It had to do with misdeeds by Heathcliff in the book which were assigned to someone else in the movie to make Heathcliff look better.

And then of course there is (Sir) Cliff Richard's 'Wuthering Heights - the musical' (I kid you not). As I have commented before on here, did he ever actually read the book?

Poor Emily - what did she ever do to deserve this?!!!

Heh, I thought of the MTV version when seeing this thread. I haven't seen it, however (nor do I plan to). Whoever thought it was a good idea to transport the story from 19th-century Europe to 21st-century California is a sad person.

Back