• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Yawn....

mehastings

It's 0430 in Western Massachusetts and one tired woman is typing away, trying to come up with something interesting to say about herself. Somehow though, all she can think is "only two and a half hours until I can go to sleep".
The woman works for an ambulance service and is waiting for the phone to ring on the off chance that someone in the county might need some help...

Anyway, I've been trying to find an online book discussion forum for some time. I tried one on yahoo, but I thought the people were not very nice. Then I tried Cow & Chicken, which was full of nice people, but it seems to have vanished into thin air. So...third times the charm right??

I've been lurking about the past two nights and I think I'm going to have a great time here! :D

Hey there mehastings. How are you today? Hope things are well.

Welcome to TBF. You will find plenty of interesting people here, and they've certainly been nice to me. There'll be plenty of people along soon to give you a proper welcome.

See ya around!

ds

Welcome aboard mehastings :)
People here are very nice and you will have a great time here.
So, how is it working for an ambulance service? Any particular experience that you want to share with us? We are all ears :D

Welcome to the Forum! I'm pretty new myself, but everyone's been lovely so far. I'm curious, though, what's the background to your user name? Is Hastings a place, or is it more of a 'me hearties' pirate thing? :D If you'd prefer to keep it under wraps I'll understand, I'm just wondering!

Has just occured to me that they could be your initials too. In fact that's far more likely... Hee hee! I think I will stick to my pirate conclusion as it amuses me :p

Hola!

Hastings is a lot of things. It is a street name in Greenfield Massachusetts, I believe it is a place in the UK, but mostly it is just my last name.

Interesting ambulance stories huh? See, that's the thing...working for an ambulance is a lot less glamorous than it sounds. Lots and lots of little old ladies falling in nursing homes. We even have a term for it LOLOL (little old lady lying on linoleum). Most of the stories I find interesting non-EMS people ususally think are gross, or just don't understand at all.

I did once get called to a man who was in the hospital parking lot. He had walked out to his car, driven 45 miles to the hospital (bypassing another hospital on the way) and then, 20 feet from the entrance decided he couldn't make it in. We had to put him in the ambulance and drive him around the building to the ambulance entrance. It wasn't funny, just really silly.

No, actually I'm in the US, so I posted that at around 5PM ish. I'm not working tonight though. I'm awake all night anyway. It's hard for me to sleep at night now. I'll be lucky if I am out at 4AM.

Ah, I knew I'd seen that name before. And a question has been answered for me.

It wasn't funny, just really silly? I would probably have fainted from over humouring if I had to pick up that guy. What was wrong with him, anyway?

Tell us some really gross stories! You could make a whole thread dedicated to them. Wow, a real life ambulance service-person! I'm hyperventilating.

Nosferatu Man said:
Ah, I knew I'd seen that name before. And a question has been answered for me.

It wasn't funny, just really silly? I would probably have fainted from over humouring if I had to pick up that guy. What was wrong with him, anyway?

Tell us some really gross stories! You could make a whole thread dedicated to them. Wow, a real life ambulance service-person! I'm hyperventilating.

My name? Ohh...fun! Where else?

I think he was seeking. As in "drug seeking". That would explain the distance too. If everyone at the hospital knows you, you find a new hospital.

I'll try to think up a good gross story for you.

Hello one tired woman! I hope you are not too tired. Pull up a chair and enjoy the forum in all it's glory and glittering bits! Yes, welcome to the forum that tucks in into bed at night!

It was on the 'People who can't read in cars... WIMPS?' thread that I first set eyes on your beautiful name.

Drug seeking? Yikes. As a medical person (and as a regular person, of course), what do you think about legalising drugs?

Hi Sir Wabbit! Long time, no exchange of message. How are your ears?

Ahhhh....I see.... :)

I don't have a strong view on drug legalization. I think it is because I have strong views on so many other things, I just don't have time to think about that. I suppose though, that I am against it. Simply because I don't know where it would stop. Would it be pot only? What about shrooms? Or, would we legalize it all? I see so many people whose lives have been ripped apart by alcohol, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be the same with other drugs. While many people would use responsibly, there are always people who won't. However, there are people out there that pot could help. People with glaucoma, cancer, etc. Should we continue to deny them something that could actually help? We dole morphine and oxycontin to these people like they are M&M's, but we won't let them smoke pot. Perhaps by prescription only.

In the end, I am unsure where I stand. The issue just doesn't weigh as heavily on my mind as other things. Now, get me started on Gay Marriage or the Right to Choose and boy, I'll go on and on forever! (Since I know the questions are probably now coming, I am STRONGLY in favor of both)

Nosferatu Man said:
It was on the 'People who can't read in cars... WIMPS?' thread that I first set eyes on your beautiful name.

Drug seeking? Yikes. As a medical person (and as a regular person, of course), what do you think about legalising drugs?

Hi Sir Wabbit! Long time, no exchange of message. How are your ears?

My ears are both floppy and blue!

Back