• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ValkyrieRaven88

I am SO happy! :) (Hence the excessive exclamation marks and whoop for joy in the title of this thread.) Near the beginning of my junior year of high school, I convinced my parents to let me go on a school trip to Europe, nine days in London and Paris, scheduled for June or July of this year. I have just saved up all the money I was required to save to get to this trip! :D

It has been a long series of events marked by misunderstandings about how a bank account works, long breaks between deposits because my baby-sitting clients refused to pay me for two months, and just general everyday hard work. But now that the money is there, I am extraordinarily happy. I hardly know anyone who's been to Europe before, much less when they were eighteen years old. I had been very afraid that I'd wind up being another person who's never been out of the US, but now that's a bit impossible. Maybe I'll make my way to Egypt eventually after all.

Congratulations!! That sounds very exciting!! I wish I could have done something like that.

ValkyrieRaven88 the globetrotter!

paris_06.jpg

That's wonderful! All your hard work paid off. You will love it. I went to France as part of my culinary training. It was wonderful. Different culture, different foods, etc.

I also lived in the mountains of Guadalahara, Mexico when I was 19. I'll never forget that experience.

My #2 son has lived in Japan and is currently living in China.

You just never know what the world holds in store for you.

Congratulations to you!

Congrats, congrats, congrats! Nothing makes me more happy than to travel! I'd like to go to the States one day... to go cross country. Oh yeah.

I like eating food in foreign countries.

How high is the risk of getting injured in a violent confrontation while backpacking in US? (just kidding, just kidding..!)

ds

...now that the money is there, I am extraordinarily happy. I hardly know anyone who's been to Europe before, much less when they were eighteen years old.

Congratulations. That is a great accomplishment! I did the same when I was in high school. My theatre company went to Canterbury, York, London and Stratford upon Avon. We saw some great plays and all of the Shakespear properties. I spent my sixteenth birthday at a four star hotel in York. It was an amazing experience for a kid. I'd never trade it for anything and would love to travel overseas again.

...I'd like to go to the States one day... to go cross country. Oh yeah.

I like eating food in foreign countries.

I'll have Coney Island Hot Dogs and apple pie with Vermont Cheddar Cheese waiting for you when you get to Massachusetts.

ds, I imagine the risk is very high, especially when I tell all my American friends you're doing it. LOL

Seriously, though, if you go to the States, check out D.C. It's not very big, which is probably a good thing, and it has great museums. I was also very fond of Gettysburg. St. Louis and Chicago are also fairly interesting cities that aren't too big. I also traveled to Indianapolis, but I was at Star Wars Celebration 3 and didn't see much besides the convention center. San Antonio, Texas is also cool...and the farthest west I've been. But most of all, Washington, D.C. I loved it. Still planning to go back. The Holocaust Museum there was amazing, and when I went they actually had Anne Frank's diary.

Well Done Valkyrie! :

Be sure to give me advance warning of when you're coming so I
can ...book my flight out of here...welcome you with great big banners and balloons.:D

Thank you Gem! I feel so loved...but I'm not. (And I can easily hilight the "cleverly" hidden text. :D)

I've spent my entire life wanting to go to London, among other places. I want to be able to travel throughout my entire life. I don't want to stay at home all the time; I love going on vacation. I often return to certain places as well; I recently lost track of all the times I've been to Chicago. Last time I went was a couple weeks ago, actually, to see the King Tut exhibit at the Field Museum, another old favorite of mine...I have a thing for museums. Other people hate them, but I love them. Which is why I had such a blast in D.C., floating around the Smithsonian. Maybe one day I'll see all of the museums there.

I am VERY much looking forward to the British Museum. Every time I think of it, I start to get giddy. The only thing that could possibly be better is the Cairo Museum...

aww I was just kidding - you can have as many balloons as you like.

Museums hey? Well we have many of those..

BTW, ds, isn't it time for your banana to...I dunno, lose the Santa suit? Maybe try something different for the new year?

banana.gif

Gem: Yes, I've heard. One of the reasons I want to go. It makes me feel very warm and fuzzy. *takes all of Gem's balloons and winds up lifting off into the air*

Congrats-for convincing the parents on such a trip, you should seriously consider going into law.:D

LOL. It wasn't that hard; I agreed to pay for part of it. And I'm eighteen, so I didn't really need their permission to go. I needed their permission to say that they'd pay for it. Anyway, my mother grew up poor and would have dearly loved to go to Europe (my father's only been a couple times on business trips, without us), so this is sort of me fulfilling her dream.

Damn you, Gem. Oh, well, I suppose it'll get me to Egypt for free. LOL

I've been told that I will not be able to travel out of the country for a couple of years at least since my baby's been born, but I will try my best. I've always wanted to go backpacking (or at least travel again) in the states.

I wished I knew you when I was in Boston, mehastings. :)

And Valkyrie, I'll be sure to let you know, when I'm coming. :)

I've changed the suit, but I'm waiting for another blockbuster movie to come along before I change it again.

ds

Congrats!!! You will have a great time... I was nearly 30 before I ever left the States, and I loved Europe so much that I never went back. :)

Where do you plan to visit? I read London- which is a fantastic city- but will you travel to any other European cities?

My trip is to be June 6. I will spend 4 days in London and 5 in Paris before returning home. Everything is officially official now...I'm waiting for my passport to show up.

I expect that once I graduate I will also wind up living out of the country. Only I'll be in Egypt. Which makes no sense, because I hate the sun and love the snow. Why couldn't I be obsessed with Vikings? What's so special about a bloody pyramid anyway...sigh...

Back