1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Yet another "100 greatest books" list...

Discussion in 'General Book Discussion' started by beer good, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Marc___

Marc___ New Member

Currently Reading:
    Les particules élémentaires/Atomized -Houellebecq
    The pleasure of providing a satisfactory pleading was sufficient : my homeostasis is now fully restored ; there is no need to be understood :p

2. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

It sounds like you'll fit right in. Welcome.

3. sparkchaser

sparkchaser Administrator and Stuntman Staff Member

Currently Reading:
    between the lines
    Admin Post
    I understood that, Marc.

Don't be a stranger to BAR. I look forward to more posts from you.

4. Marc___

Marc___ New Member

Currently Reading:
    Aww, how nice of everyone. Didn't expect such a greeting! I'll make a complete introduction right now ;)

5. SFG75

SFG75 Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    The Road to Character; David Brooks
    Marc-you should have been well pleased by the inclusion of #29 on the list. Every list is subjective, but that is what makes for some good "discussion.";) I would argue that the wrong Marx book was added as #30. The Wealth of Nations is head and shoulders above either one of those works, as history has proven hands down, but I digress.

What other works do you feel should have been included?

6. Soraya

Soraya New Member

See what a couple of years accomplish?:)

7. Marc___

Marc___ New Member

Currently Reading:
    There is subjective and subjective ; about 80% of the list consists in english books, the rest being mostly classics from the Antiquity. How can someone believe that such a patently overblown proportion can be representative of the humanity's literary heritage? To me, this list is nothing more then a reminiscence from a strong imperialistic past ; how else could I explain the ostentatious absence of writers such as Molière, Hugo, Balzac, Baudelaire, Montaigne, Rimbaud, Zola, Proust, Voltaire etc etc. ( I am only speaking for french literature as it is the only one that i know well enough to take a stand for)

I'm am not even glad about Rousseau if you ask me :p His Confessions, and even his Rêveries were far more groundbreaking then the Social contract ; the first is often mentioned as being the first modern autobiography, and it is a pleasure to read tant pour des raisons sociologiques que littéraires et philosophiques. Also, why the Social Contract and not the Emile? The latter one has also had a lasting influence in children pedagogy...

I am not going to elaborate for every addition that I would make to the list, as this post has already taken a lot of my time, but a palmarès without Baudelaire's Fleurs du mal , Montaigne's Essays, Laclos Liaisons dangereuses (?), and nothing from the authors mentionned above could hardly pretend to be complete to me (especially when it lacks Balzac!)