• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Yet another newb

SFG75

Hey all!. I'm Scott and just happened upon the site doing a search. I'm a bookworm and we have books in every room of the house. Fortunately for us, I teach, so I can keep a heck of a lot of books at work that are relevant to what I do. I have two boys-2 years and 1 respectively. I enjoy non-fiction works, but I've branched out to some fiction as of late. I also love cigars, so if you're into that, PM me.

Looking forward to hanging out with all of you. :D

cabrasopa said:
Hi and welcome SFG75, Scott
What kind of non-fiction do you read

Most anything that encompasses history, religious studies, as well as philosophy. Religious studies wise, I like the works of Ken Wilber and Thich Nhat Hanh. In regards to philosophy, I prefer existential writings and some radical libertarianism(i.e.-Lysander Spooner) :cool:

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome-I see TONS of great threads here.
Smokin.bmp

geneviv said:
Welcome. Which history is your specialty?

I teach a wide range really. I have a 7th grade social studies class which is basically world history content wise. I also teach a freshman level world geography course along with senior American government, economics, and sociology. I'd say out of all of them, American government is perhaps my specialty. My area of intense interest is the founding era. :cool:

Yo scott! Welcome!

What are you recommendations for history reads for a history newbie like myself? Lots of people have recommended history/politics stuff by Jared Diamond - have you read him yourself?

ds

direstraits said:
Yo scott! Welcome!

What are you recommendations for history reads for a history newbie like myself? Lots of people have recommended history/politics stuff by Jared Diamond - have you read him yourself?

ds

Great historian!, you should buy Collapse and his previous book, Guns, Germs, and Steel. He writes from the perspective of how geography affects history through mankind's good(and bad) interactions with the environment-excellent examples and very detailed analysis IMHO.

If you want a good overall source of American history, buy Paul Johnson's book A History of the American People and cross-read with it Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. A great right and left source to give you the "whole" picture. Between those two books-you'll forget about paying the bills or what day it is. :D

Wonderful suggestions! Thanks! Yes, I have Collapse and GGASteel in my To Get list. Thanks for your recommendations on American History, although I already have a 3-book series on American History - the name of which escapes me now. Plus I have Jon Stewart's America on my To Get list too.

I'm more interested in politics than history, though I know they are tied closely together. I've something called Sons of the Yellow Emperor, which describes the Chinese Immigrants who moved from China to various parts of the world, including Malaysia during the time of the 2 World Wars.

ds

Hello Scott, and welcome to the forum! And in the most politely manner, I must say that I really hate your username.

Umbrella said:
Hello Scott, and welcome to the forum! And in the most politely manner, I must say that I really hate your username.

Thanks for the welcome!. :) Yeah, the user name is pretty prosaic I have to admit. Obviously, others tortured themselves to be more creative than myself in that regard. :D

Back