• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

You don't know where they've been!

I once brought a book on ebay and halfway through a dead moth was squashed inbetween 2 pages.

You win some, you lose some. The majority are fine, i have no qualms with buying used books.

I enjoy wondering what "life" a used book has led..but I'm known for being eccentric so what do I know! Anyway, a bargain is better than a pristine cover any day.

jaybe said:
What's wrong with dead moths? What's wrong with used undies?
You're a fussy lot.

:D If you'll pm me your snail mail addy, I'll pass it along to my mother in law..who volunteers at a center where they give away donated clothing...this center tosses underwear and socks. But MY mil 'saves' them and takes them home and boils them so she can give them to us:rolleyes: She'll be glad to know of someone who actually wants them:D

Y'all are funny:D

I picked up a box of old books from a sale once and they all had pressed flowers in them, everytime I opened them petals would fall out, i loved that.
I'm also nosey and will read any notes, receipts, whatever I find in my books.

When I used to live in Massachusettes I frequented a used book store that had a loyal following. The patrons had a habit of writing notes or comments about the books in the margins. I loved that. Gave me insight into others views and ideas about what I was reading.

I also purchase a used book on Amazon once that had a happy birthday wish in it along with some personal quips about the book. Reading that was almost as interesting as the book.:rolleyes:

The man was probably obsessive-compulsive. I have OCD, and I read up on it, and that would be a typical reaction for a germaphobic (I'm sure that's not a real word) obsessive-compulsive. I'm sure your books were in pretty good condition, but that wouldn't be enough to persuade him necessarily if I'm right.
I, on the other hand, am not germaphobic. I love used books. I went and bought some Anne Rice books for a buck each the other day and I'm ever-so-happy.

OOH! Valkyrie you'll be sadly missed when you die from anthrax or Bubonic plague or something worse which is always left in Ann Rice books.

Hope you get to read them first.

Only joking - or am I?

Now that you mention it...I've been feeling rather itchy! And I have this feeling...all tired and achey...
Nah, just that time of month again. Either that or I'll be dead in an hour with the ebola virus. :rolleyes:

Amazingly this exact topic came up with friends at dinner last night. We were talking about some finacial guru who advised his following to buy his books used to save money.

Anyway my friend, a fan of this guy, said "No way you have no idea what kind of germs........."

To which I replied, "You know we're eating in a restaraunt don't you? There's probably a million germs right there on the rim of your water glass."

She laughed and said," I know but phobias are without logic or reason". Then she took a sip of her water.

Back