• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

'You' in narrative

kcmay

How do you feel about reading 'you' in narrative? For instance,

He turned off the light. The afterglow created a ghostly image, like when you're half-asleep and think someone's in the room with you.

As a reader, it jars me out of the story. I see a lot of writers doing it lately. I wonder what the allure is.

When second person narrative is used suddenly within a story told from the third person perspective, I find it disruptive to the text. I usually notice this in the works of inexperienced writers.

I always feel my Junior English teacher, Mrs. Washington, in my head whenever I read or write the generic you. It's one thing to speak that way with friends, but it has no place in formal writing.

It is at least disruptive to me -- by seemingly trying to drag me into the frame of the story -- but also sounds amateurish/lazy to me. Unless of course the intention is to present the narrator deliberately as having that speaking style. It sounds to me like he/she would probably also be chewing gum while speaking. But I was probably taught by the brother of Mrs. Washington. :cool:

by seemingly trying to drag me into the frame of the story
Being caught up in a story is a bad thing now?

Every narrator has a voice, whether it's first, second or third person. It's part of what makes a novel a novel - how you tell a story is part of what the story is. Sometimes, that voice is that of a 19th century scholar. Sometimes it's not.

Being caught up in a story is a bad thing now?

I think you know what I meant.

As for every narrator having a voice, of course they can. Even if it is the voice of a lazy writer that is desired. But yes, every writer can have the page they want.
In any event, I thought it was my reaction or opinnion that was requested, not a normative prescription.

Back