• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

You now feel really old

There was a humorist back in the day-Erma Bombeck. She wrote a story about a mature woman in that same situation. The character is first put off by the child interviewer...then she thinks " I rocked you and powdered your bottom and now you're asking ME about my qualifications?! Let me tell you my qualifications...

A bit off track here...I'm still an old fart and I'm proud...but really, Iscanned through a book at work today. I remember distinctly buying it at a small town bookshop. There was an author signing for this private press book and I felt sorry for the author. Such dreck...first off he runs a rehab in Yahoots PA somewhere. The book is supposed to center on Generation X and just tried to cover too much turf.
The point is here was this maybe sixtyish gentleman was trying to write about drugs and young people during the grunge era. Journalism 101, you have to write what you know. If he had set the book during the summer of love he might have had some direction to head in.
So bad it was laughable, you might deal with addicted people son but you were clueless with this book. It's like having a teenager write in depth about the Rat Pack...it just can't happen. I tossed the book in the trash, out of circulation and good riddance.

You both bring up good points and it reminds of a Facebook argument I had with a friend of a friend. Dude was born in 1996 and was telling me that the Soviet Union was never a threat to the United States.

You both bring up good points and it reminds of a Facebook argument I had with a friend of a friend. Dude was born in 1996 and was telling me that the Soviet Union was never a threat to the United States.

LOL oh well ... but I do think more was made of the threat than there actually was.

LOL oh well ... but I do think more was made of the threat than there actually was.

Absolutely, but to understand the hoopla around the Communist threat, the missile crisis...having the bomb shelter sign up at school, in the event of a nuke strike everyone would go the school basement, unless it happened too fast. Then of course everybody would get under their desks.

One of those things where you had to be there to understand where people's heads were at. Like segregation...for us boomers segregation was outlawed when we were kids. But in today's PC world I don't think kids can fully grasp what went on there. Really, you have to write what you know or risk turning into Tom Wolfe:eek:

Oh I don't disagree (except about Tom Wolfe) and I do have a fairly good grasp on the paranoia at the height of the cold war but that is what it mostly was - paranoia with only a small basis in reality. Russia had no money, their people were starving, and they were mostly too busy being equally paranoid.

Oh I don't disagree (except about Tom Wolfe) and I do have a fairly good grasp on the paranoia at the height of the cold war but that is what it mostly was - paranoia with only a small basis in reality. Russia had no money, their people were starving, and they were mostly too busy being equally paranoid.

They had nukes.

But the US didn't know that...historically, possible weapons of mass destruction and everybody goes bat crap...back to the thread...I thought of it the other night while I was waiting in line for "Daddy's Sanity Saver"...the young gentleman in front of me was taking a year to check out...the cashier couldn't read his drivers license, I was taken by the ear gauging...tattooes yes I understand, but how did such a procedure ever catch on? Your grandkids can amuse themselves putting crayons through Granpa's ear lobes what fun!
Anyway, eventually the young man was cleared to buy a bottle of beer...then I thought about it..."YOU will NEVER be carded AGAIN in this lifetime"...talk about a downer:(

I was taken by the ear gauging...tattooes yes I understand, but how did such a procedure ever catch on? Your grandkids can amuse themselves putting crayons through Granpa's ear lobes what fun!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder??

the only time I really notice it is when I try to remember random stuff and then realise it was 20 / 25 years ago ....

Yes Meadow, you make a good point...there was a young man I made conversation with one day who had a rather handsome design and initials on his shoulder...it was a branding, quite a unique statement indeed.

You are really old when the younger generation's behavior is puzzling /unacceptable.

'The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in lace of
exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.'

This quote is attributed to Aristotle. They, or something in a similar vein, could well be the words of some senior citizen today or ours tomorrow (?).

Good going, Gita!
I don't feel a bit old, despite all the differences.
And guess whose opinion I respect more -- mine or theirs. :p

Yes Meadow, you make a good point...there was a young man I made conversation with one day who had a rather handsome design and initials on his shoulder...it was a branding, quite a unique statement indeed.

Unique LOL is ONE way of putting it. "Are you / he / they completely out of your / his / their mind?" is another. But then this is clearly an example of a generational gap at work. I have more brains! LOL

And yet there is no dearth of 'old fools'.....:p
You think there's wisdom to find in all people as they age? Or do some manage to resist it?

Um I think my comment must taken entirely in context of the wisdom of getting branded. As one gets older one realises that stuff HURTS and ouch is bad so don't do it.

I think that you can also ask - do you have 25 years experience or 1 years experience 25 times?

Back