• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Young people read more books

beer good

According to this study of the media habits among US 8- to 18-year-olds.

Generation M2: Media in the Lives of 8- to 18-Year-Olds - Kaiser Family Foundation

Use of every type of media has increased over the past 10 years, with the exception of reading. In just the past five years, the increases range from 24 minutes a day for video games, to 27 minutes a day for computers, 38 minutes for TV content, and 47 minutes a day for music and other audio. During this same period, time spent reading went from 43 to 38 minutes a day, not a statistically significant change. But breaking out different types of print does uncover some statistically significant trends. For example, time spent reading magazines dropped from 14 to nine minutes a day over the past five years, and time spent reading newspapers went down from six minutes a day to three; but time spent reading books remained steady, and actually increased slightly over the past 10 years (from 21 to 25 minutes a day).
Page 30 of the report especially is interesting.

Online book store

Its not compulsory that only young generation can read books. It depends upon every individual habits even old people are very found of reading books on various topics.

Hi
very well,
By reading books we find less consume time.we also find all detail information about that work.
=>but practically we find knowledge about the particular field.
=>without reading books we can not define in a well define manner.
=>It require little resources.
=>It take little amount for consume.
=>Without having any manual record anybody can not be success.

The Kids Are Alright! Why Digitization and E-books are Good for Literacy

After several hundred years with a stable model, some of our most basic ideas about books and reading are now under the microscope. The most pessimistic opinions tell us that the book as we know it is dead, but I don’t believe it. It is important to separate what is happening to the business of the written word from what is happening to the culture of the written word. The first is struggling, the second is blossoming.

I have to say, I’m incredibly optimistic about the future of books and the potential of upcoming generations. Why? I believe that the drive to use new technologies is going to achieve what more than 150 years of public education could not: nearly 100% literacy. Research, like this 2005 study from Cambridge University has already shown that today’s children are much more literate than their peers from the pre-computer years.

I don't see much kids my age reading(I'm 16),and I don't find them even reading teen books like The Lighting Thief,Maximum Ride etc.

They refuse to even read Mysteries,and watch the crappy Mystery shows on television instead.

I don't see much kids my age reading(I'm 16),and I don't find them even reading teen books like The Lighting Thief,Maximum Ride etc.

They refuse to even read Mysteries,and watch the crappy Mystery shows on television instead.

So you said. Did you read the articles I posted?

I've got nephews that only read a book if it's interesting. When their parents bought the Ranger's Apprentice series, they brought those books to our Family Reunion and wouldn't be parted from them. My boy is younger, but he will only read a book if it's interesting. In casual conversation with the neighbors, they've said that its the same way with their children. Some of the neighbor kids don't want to read books like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows or any of the Eragon books because they are cliche.

the children today are lazy to sit back and read a good book they want everything done at the snap of a fingure we have way to many privelages such as remotes, internet, cellphones, so many things that u dont need to budge from ur seat it is sad, than again it is good to see the certain few kids who love to read.

I've got nephews that only read a book if it's interesting. When their parents bought the Ranger's Apprentice series, they brought those books to our Family Reunion and wouldn't be parted from them. My boy is younger, but he will only read a book if it's interesting. In casual conversation with the neighbors, they've said that its the same way with their children. Some of the neighbor kids don't want to read books like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows or any of the Eragon books because they are cliche.
I remember reading Potter and Eragon :lol:. When I was 13 I LOVED Harry Potter and Eragon. Now I'm 16 and I love Lincoln Rhyme and Harry Dresden.

the children today are lazy to sit back and read a good book they want everything done at the snap of a fingure we have way to many privelages such as remotes, internet, cellphones, so many things that u dont need to budge from ur seat it is sad, than again it is good to see the certain few kids who love to read.

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint."
- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.

"The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not servants of the households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize over their teachers."
- Attributed to Socrates, 469–399 B.C.

Very well said, Beer Good. Indeed, it is human nature to glorify their own times.

As for reading habits, I think, it depends more on a person's nature than a general tendency of a particular generation. I spent three days to read 'Jane Eyre' while my brother simply watched a BBC adaptation and enjoyed it in just two hours!

Back