• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your age

Stewart said:
The Golden Compass?

I have it as Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. I'm guessing Northern Lights as renamed for an American audience to create an easy to understand trilogies of Thes.

Perhaps this is true! However, I feel it also created a cohesive set of "dark materials" which are the compass, the knife, and the spyglass, each used by Lyra or Will to expand their understandings and deal with their circumstances. So I rather like the US titles, comparatively.

Also, there was a film here by that name -Northern Lights- years ago, and I know THIS yank could have easily been confused by such a title.

I read "Sorcerers Stone, Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban when I was 7. Then Goblet of Fire when I was 8, Order of the Pheonix when I was 11 and Half-Blood Prince when ! was 12.

I'm 13 now

i was 7 years old when i first read harry potter and the sorcerers stone im now 14. i have reread all the books that i read when i was younger and i really appreciate them more now.

Hmm...about 10 when I read the second one first.

I have read 1-3 countless times since, and hope to reread the others as many. I loooovvvvveeeee Harry Potter.

I am 26 and started reading them when I was 23, so about 3 years ago, although I haven't read one since that summer..... :eek: (and yes, I have every single book, but with different covers and formats: four are in the adult Bloomsbury/Raincoast cover in paperback, one in paperback with the Bloomsbury/Raincoast edition cover and the latest one hardcover with the Bloomsbury/Raincoast edition cover)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only "older" HP fan. I started reading all of them when the first movie came out (all of the ones that had been published to date). I can't remember when that was, but I am 33 now (just turned 33) and a place I can post to other older HP fans.

I read it initially to see if my oldest DD could handle reading them. I also was interested to see what all the hub-bub from the religious community was about, being religious myself. I actually find them to be outside the realm of what they think of witchcraft (more of like a gift God gave them, a talent, and not a religion) and actually the morality of the films go right in line with what most religious people seek in life. Quite ridiculous that they make such a fuss actually.

lady.cordelia said:
I also was interested to see what all the hub-bub from the religious community was about, being religious myself. I actually find them to be outside the realm of what they think of witchcraft (more of like a gift God gave them, a talent, and not a religion) and actually the morality of the films go right in line with what most religious people seek in life. Quite ridiculous that they make such a fuss actually.

Being religious as well, I didn't really see what the big deal was anyways. Growing up in a church environment (and yes, I still do attend on a regular basis), I grew up with the Narnia Chronicles in the church's library and when all the fuss over the HP books came up in last few years, I started to read, curious as to what all the fuss was about. As I saw no harm really in the books, I continued to read them and have quite enjoyed them as fantasy lit.

I told a friend of mine that really they are quite similar to the Narnia Chronicles, minus of course for the religious allusions that Narnia has in them, and really what harm would they do to a kid who likes to read. The HP books seem to be about the nature of good vs. evil, which Narnia alludes to in the seven books (I've only read one of them). If I had kids and they were of an age where I thought they could handle the material that is presented in the books, I would definately allow them to read them, of course if they had any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

It's interesting to note that I have found the Lord of the Rings series (the movies at least; haven't read the books) to be much darker than HP will ever be and yet nobody seems to be throwing those books away and banning them. Are we trying to set a double standard in terms of what is available to readers in libraries by allowing something like LOTR and not HP?

I began to read the harry potter series right after book 4 came out, when I was 17. I am now 22. Coincidentally, I am wearing my Harry Potter shirt right now, that I bought that same year, before the movies came out. Not many people recognized what Hogwarts meant, back in the day.

I am 20 now. I started reading them probably in the 5th or 6th grade. I have read 1-4 twice. Once in jr. high and again in high school.

19, I believe. I bought books one through four at the same time, and read them straight through. I was 23 when I read book six..and am 24, waiting for book seven. I think they have stuff that's suitable and entertaining for all reading levels, although some of the stuff in book six was a bit dull around the edges. A very young reader might get discouraged in some spots.

I'm seventeen, but I was about ten or so when I read the first book, for the first time. I read all the way up to the fourth one while I was still too young to really enjoy them properly. So I only skimmed through the fourth one, not really reading the part with the maze. I left the books alone for a year or two, then reread them all, and have read up to the sixth, waiting around for the seventh. Goblet of Fire is my favourite one, now.

I was 19 and now I'm 26.

I just keep reading them over and over and over and over and over. I a HP FREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was 13 or 14 I think - my brother had them when they first came out and then they got passed to my sister and then to me. After the first 4 being borrowed from my brother I moved out so I had to buy my own copies - I love reading them, and I don't think it matters whether they are meant for children as long as you enjoy reading them who cares what other think. Everyone has different tastes. I also have a thing about adults who buy children's books - like Harry Potter and His Dark Materials - with "adult" covers - if you want to read "children's" books just do it!!

:mad:

Back