• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your child's favorite book(s)

SFG75

I have a two and one year old respectively. The eldest one just loves the Dr. Seuss books & a big picture-book of wild animals.

How about you? What do your kids enjoy book wise? :)

My son (7) likes Dav Pilkey's Dragon Books, Dr. Suess, Roald Dahl, the Magic Treehouse books, just starting to read Harry Potter and since he his name is Nate he loves the Nate the Great Books.

My daughter used to LOVE "Where the Wild Things Are"... I still do. She read the Dr Seuss books. She still rereads Jemima Puddleduck sometimes and she's 15!

We have a new favorite now, When Cats Dream by Dav Pilkey. It's a great story with beautiful pictures. I like all of Dav Pilkey's books that I have read so far.

There's some really cool pop-up style books my kids and I really liked.

One is Sam's Sandwich, there was also Sam's Surprise and Sam's Lunchbox or something like that....

Here's the link to Sam's Sandwich:

http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.co...serid=oe1t7Nq9me&btob=Y&isbn=0525447512&itm=1

Plus I keep mentioning "The Stinky Cheese Man" and "The Real Story of the Three Little Pigs" both by the same author...I'll have to go look up the spelling of his name...

better yet, here's the link : http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.co...serid=oe1t7Nq9me&btob=Y&isbn=067084487X&itm=1

edit: by the way sfg75 you may want to check out this thread: http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=4642

and this one: http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=4598&highlight=picture

Though I don't have children, I do have the privilege of reading to children sometimes. A six-year-old girl of my acquaintance loves Eloise and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. A four-year-old boy I know can't get enough of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.

There are so many more. I have a large collection of children's books just for those opportunities.

Mari, I had forgotten those, we like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, they are so cute. My son would crack uo when you got back to where you started.

I'm glad that Motokid mentioned the real story of the three little pigs. I had forgotten about that great little book!. I'll definitely have to get that one in a year or two. :cool:

My daughter’s current favorite is “Katy and the Big Snow”. Her past favorites include “Is Your Mama A Llama?”, “Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?”, “Freight Train” and “Caps for Sale”. She also likes First Discovery Books, which seems to be out of print, but can be borrowed from some libraries. My daughter is 2.5 years old.

I read to my younger cousins when I see them, and at the moment they love Don't Put Your Finger in the Jelly, Nelly! by Nick Sharratt. I must admit, this was one of my favourites when I was younger also :D

MonkeyCatcher

agate said:
My daughter’s current favorite is “Katy and the Big Snow”. Her past favorites include “Is Your Mama A Llama?”,

The "Is Your Mama a Llama?" book is a good one. I remember that one as I was a para in a kindergarten classroom during college. I worked with a mutli-handicapped student who really looked forward to reading that one after completing his tasks. Definitely a good read for little ones.

My youngest daughter is just coming up for 2, so she is onyl just starting to listen to very short stories.
My eldest daughter is 4 and loves books

She has just started reading Dr Suess. Her faves are The Gruffalo and The Gruffalos Child. also a great book called Bearum Scarum.
I have recently started reading Roald Dahl to her. We have read
The Magic Finger, The Twits, and are in the middle of James and the Giant Peach.

I love reading with her!! It's great to read books over again, that i read as a child

My 10 year old sons favourite books are Varjak Paw by SF Said and Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver. He loved both of these.

He said to highly recommend them here. :)

Is Your Mama a Llama is a classic and should be in every home in the world! It's so much fun to read and do different voices for the different critters.
Some other read-aloud favorites around here are:
Meanwhile Back At the Ranch-Trinka Hakes Nobel(imagine Hoyt Axton reading this hilarious western comedy)

Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain-Verna Aardama

Lucy's Christmas-Donald Hall

Appletree Christmas-Trinka Hakes Noble

Green Eggs and Ham-Dr Seuss( I can read this with my eyes shut..and that is very hard to do!)

The Story of Ping-MArjorie Flack

Pecos Bill- can't remember who wrote and illustrated our favorite version, but it was accompanied by a tape by Robin Williams..imagine him delivering lines with his best John Wayne imitation..Texas Ranger, upon finding naked Bill:"Why You're as naked as a jaybird partner!" to which Bill the coyote replies:"Whaddayou mean NAKED?? I'm a coyote, and coyotes don't wear no clothes!"- this little scene is now firmly entrenched in our family "culture."

and for older kids:
Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin-Marguerite Henry

Yonie Wondernose-Marguerite deAngeli (anything by her is terrific)

the Narnia series-all a well loved and worn out at my house

The Marvelous Flight to the Mushroom Planet-have to look up the author, but the whole series is wonderful.

The current favorite for my boys ( 6 and 2 ) is Dinosaur Roar! by Paul and Henrietta Stickland. It has big, bright pictures of different kinds of dinosaurs. The text is simple, too. More than once, after bedtime, I've found both boys together in one bed, the older one reading it to the younger one. The two of them like trucks, dinosaurs, wildlife (reptiles and amphibians, mistly), and those I Spy books.

Another vote for "Is Your Mama A Llama?" and Dr. Seuss. Other favorites at the moment are anything by Eric Carle and "That's Not My Teddy".

I found a new-to-me author the other day at the library: Eva Ibbotson. The branch I was in had three to choose from and I brought home The Secret of Platform 13. What a fun book! We were three chapters in when the book went missing for a few days. When it resurfaced(I should have frisked the 21 yr old), by dh latched onto it and read it before we got it back. Last night the kids were out playing til dark, and I got them in by sheer bribery: "If you guys come in, I can read Platform 13." Good thing I got out of the doorway quick! They made me read three chapters at once sitting, and were clamoring for more. Tonight I think I'll insist on a glass of water to keep me going :cool:

My sister has a bunch of Dr. Seuss books and while we were there, my older son found them. He's just "discovered " reading and would sit for minutes on end reading them out loud to whoever would listen. I guess I have to buy some Dr. Seuss books and some by Laura Numerrof (If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, etc.), to keep around the house.

Back