• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your favorite fantasy series

harry potter sucks........well i supose that when you read them they seem like the best books in the world,but afterwards you realise man other books are WAAAAY better!

I've read a lot of fantasy series, and I haven't found any that I'd characterise as WAAAAY better than the Harry Potter books. The more you read them, the more you realise how much depth there is to them.

for some people yes,but for me,the more i read the harry potter books,the more i realise he is a snobby teenager who needs a good f***

Ok, ill agree with you migey, about how snobby harry really is. i really dont like Harry all that much, but i love the books. My favorite character is Ginny, Harry is actually one of my least favorite characters.

my fav character is probably sirius,because hes kickass and he doesnt listen to anyone :)

thima,do you have msn?

no I do not have an MSN.what is an msn?
My fav charachter is probably hermione cause she is very smart and sensible and does what she has to.

Its like online conversations with one person. Its cool. Its kinda hard to explain, but you can use Windows Live Messenger on it. Ask Migey about it, he told me about it.

MSN is windows live messenger,ive forgotten what it stands for but its an instant chat program,you can add extra people to the conversations but useally its just 2 people

you should sign up,if you do tell me and il add you

it could be quite cool for you,me and harrypotterrox all to have a conversation fob ooks at once XD

I'd have to say Harry Potter too. I've read other fantasy books, but none seem to compare to Harry Potter. People seem to think that Harry Potter can't hold any merit because it's a children's book and doesn't have a complex writing style; but if you just read them deep enough, you'll see there is hidden meaning there, deeper themes than what you get when you skim the surface of the novel. You can feel the characters growing up throughout their teenage years throughout the series in a world that is so interesting it makes you wish it were possible. And I've never really looked for anything more in a book.

of course :)

and my brother is mickey mouse

in other words,deeper meanings my (insert something random here)

harry potter has as many deep meanings as my uncle has books,i.e,none

Just because you can't find any deeper meanings in the books doesn't mean that none exist. Half of the purpose of literature class is pulling your own meanings out of books that the authors probably never intentionally put in to begin with. Don't bombard the opinions of others just because your brain can't seem to pull any worth out of a book; perhaps you should try harder or find something else to complain about.

Harry Potter does actually have a lot of meaning interwoven in it. Rowling really does her research! I mean even the character names alone are very symbolic. Take the name Sirius for example. It's derived from the star Sirius, which happens to be reffered to as THE DOG STAR; which happens to be sirius's animangus form. It also really fits his personality nicely. The majority of the spells used throughout the book actually have meanings in Latin, and many historical allusions are included in the book also.

know what?so right,just makes me wonder where she gets her originality from

JK rowling,did,of course,do LOADS of research,it was mostly just reading other books and wondering which tiny words of the books to change before chucking them in her own book,she copied the plots from other books,and the plot is almost exactly the same as 'enders game',the name was even taken from somebody elses novels about 'larry potter',the lettering on the front is even the same as the larry potters!the larry potters are for much younger readers but ive seen pictures of the front cover on an anti jk rowling website

it wouldent even be so bad but jk rowling REFUSES to admit that she took from other plots

btw,id be utterly delighted if you could point out one of these deeper meanings for me

Find me one book that doesn't extend off of others. In this day and age virtually no idea is original any more; just a new twist on an old story. The trick is taking a worn out theme, and retelling it in a different way, giving it new life.

Honestly. What author DOESN'T take things from other authors. I think that's what we read in english class for in the first place. We get to experience other authors and what led them to creating their books; from there, we can learn from and improve upon this in our own writing.

I just don't understand the problem. People just seem to hate her books because they are so popular. Not enjoying them is one thing, but please leave the bashing somewhere else, because if you really so gifted as to where you can regard her work as utter garbage, then you should be capable of selling hundreds of millions of copies of something you write yourself.

know what?so right,just makes me wonder where she gets her originality from

JK rowling,did,of course,do LOADS of research,it was mostly just reading other books and wondering which tiny words of the books to change before chucking them in her own book,

Backup data to support that allegation, please.

she copied the plots from other books,

Copied the plots? So how come nobody managed to guess ahead of time how the series was going to play out?

and the plot is almost exactly the same as 'enders game',

No it isn't.

the name was even taken from somebody elses novels about 'larry potter',

You mean, the way she said she based the name on her friend Ian Potter? What evidence do you have that she was lying?

the lettering on the front is even the same as the larry potters! the larry potters are for much younger readers but ive seen pictures of the front cover on an anti jk rowling website

The lettering on the front of the book is the choice of the designer, not the author.

it wouldent even be so bad but jk rowling REFUSES to admit that she took from other plots

Maybe that's because she didn't. After all, as I already said, people with a lot of background in reading fantasy novels and children's novels have had no success at all in predicting the plots of the books before they come out. The nearest I've seen to someone predicting how the last book would turn out was a brilliant young European student who absolutely loves the books. She realised, which I hadn't seen anyone else mention before the last book was published, that Dumbledore's wand was going to be significant.

And if you recall, the lawsuit initiated by Nancy Stouffer was thrown out as having no basis.

Having said all that, I think JK Rowling is dead wrong in going after the Lexicon people for publishing their information in book form.

btw,id be utterly delighted if you could point out one of these deeper meanings for me

One of the deeper meanings, which is quite unusual for literature aimed at younger people, is that there's more than one sort of evil and the world isn't divided neatly into black and white. That's partly why certain extremist religious groups dislike the books so much - religious extremists tend to see things rather exclusively in black and white.

that meaning is perhaps in EVERY book

the plot is basicly enders game,it is different but the main backbone is the same

ok,i admit i might be wrong about trhe lettering,but prove she named her chars after 'ian potter'

and of course she did,its so similar you could change a few words and names and call them slightly different variations of the same book

ok,now please pont out a real meaning in the book,the one you said is possibly in 99/100 books ive read

ok,i admit i might be wrong about trhe lettering,but prove she named her chars after 'ian potter'

If she said she did, why should we have to sit here and prove it. Even referring to her naming them after Larry Potter is a thing of the past. That author just wanted money and attention. She said that she had created muggles in her book with Larry Potter, so JKR was stealing. Except Larry Potter wasn't in her book about muggles. Then she said that JKR had stolen ideas such as a black-haired boy with glasses and a castle on a lake. There simply isn't enough basis on any of those claims to even consider them. A dark-haired boy with glasses and a castle on a lake are HARDLY original ideas...they are etched upon the covers of hundreds of books already.

Just because the name of her character is similar to that of a name of a character in another author's series hardly seems like 'stealing'. People around here seem to love the "Wheel of Time" series, but just from reading the first book, Jordan seems to have...borrowed...a lot of ideas, as far as names and scenes go. JKR just seems to get much more attention because of her success.

The Lord of the Rings.

I thought Harry Potter was a fun read. Let's see what Rowling does for an encore. My pridiction is, not much.

Back