• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your favorite fantasy series

a few that i enjoy:

The Black Company- Glen Cook
Wheel of Time- Robert Jordan
The Deepgate Codex- Allen Campbell
The Sword of Truth- Terry Goodkind
The Warder- Peter Brett
A Song of Ice and Fire- George Martin

Laurell Hamilton has a new series Meredith Gentry about faries, elves, sex, and gods, really good! except the sex is somewhat overdone but in order for Meredith to become queen she has to have a baby and she brings powers back to the men she beds. My favorite series is the Charlaine Harris Southern Vampire series with Sookie as heroine, very funny and lots of action. I love the Twilight Saga series they turned into a movie. Kim Harris series The Hollows is also fantastic. I am new to the group and I read a lot. I like James Patterson, Steven King and Dean Koontz and of course many others. I own a Kindle and my whispernet just downloaded Sirens and 6th Target.

I read most of Nora's books but the ones below are way off the beaten path from her norm and it is a story of vampires,shape shifters, witches and more and traverses the present to the ancient past where dragons abound.

Title: Morrigan's Cross (The Circle Trilogy, Book 1)
Author: Nora Roberts

Sword of Truth suffers in the same way as Wheel of Time - too many books spread over too many years... but at least it's finished. :)

not sure if anyones said anything yet but book 12 of the wheel of time series is coming out november 3 ^_^

the books are better if u read them back to back i realized

the books are better if u read them back to back i realized

Totally agree, I only picked one a few months back and have been working my way through them and really enjoying it.

OOO! me too! im only on the second one though because i dont get much time to read but i usually read every chance i can... babies awake dont allow much time without interruptions haha.

which one are u on now? and whos ur favorite and least favorite character? ive heard soooo many different opinions on that depending on which book ur in haha... i hate mat and love perrin and rand doesnt have enough character for me to anything him heh

I'm really fond of Tolkien and Narnia.

My less obvious favorites:
The Secret Country Trilogy by Pamela Dean. She has a fourth book, not part of the series but set in the same world, called The Dubious Hills.

The Liavek multi-author series. Sort of like Thieves' World, but less grim.

I like Robert Asprin's Myth series, also.

I might've already posted this but The Age Of Misrule trilogy by Mark Chadbourn. 'World's End','Darkest Hour','Always Forever'. They're set in modern day Britain when technology fails and all the old gods,myths and magic return.

I really like the song of ice and fire by George R.R martin. I had read the first 2 books of this series, and I am currently reading the third book, a storm of swords. I find the story to be rich in characterisation and to have surprising plot twists.

ive seen a lot of people reading the george rr martin books but no one has ever said "oh man, u gotta read those books!"

ive seen a lot of people reading the george rr martin books but no one has ever said "oh man, u gotta read those books!"

Well, I started reading his books because someone recommend it to me. Yes, someone who said his books are great.

sweet.. i remember one of my friends back in high school loooved them, but she never told me to read them, heh...

Favorite Fantasy Series include: Lloyd Alexander's Pyrdian Chronicles, Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind, Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy, and Elizabeth Haydon's The Symphony of Ages Trilogy. Those are my all time favorite fantasy series.

I've read all of the Harry Potter series, including the mini books like "the Monster Book of Monsters" and they used to be my favorite series, until the movies. They totally ruined the experience for me, and now i don't even want to read the books. But i enjoy David Eddings The Belgariad, and the malloreon series', though i haven't been able to acquire any of his other writings. I have read aeverything Laurell K hamilton has put out that i can find, and she is an amazing author as well.

Hmmm....favorite fantasy series?

I have to say that Susan Cooper's 'Dark is Rising' sequence stands the test of time. I also like CJ Cherryh's 'Fortress' series as one that doesn't lose steam in the telling of an epic tale. Lois McMaster Bujold's 'Curse of Chalion' trilogy rocks. I wish she would write more in this world. And her 'Lakewalker' chronicles, now in the fourth book, is really good as well. The first book of that series is 'The Sharing Knife'.

Kate Forsyth had me for a while with her 'Witches of Eileanan' series but it really lost focus in the last book--it read like she wanted to get it over with. But she has since written another trilogy set in the same world with a new protagonist that shows her maturity as a writer. Anne Bishop's 'Pillars of the World' trilogy was fun, and I have enjoyed reading Kristin Britain's 'Green Rider' books simply to see her grow into her own style. Joanne Bertin I mourn, since 'The Last Dragonlord' seemed to have such promise and she hasn't published in about a decade now.

Just can't seem to limit my enjoyment of series to one or two...

gahhh. One more that hasn't been mentioned (I think) and should be...

Anne McCaffrey has some of the best narrative style I have ever read. I find her characters to be well-developed, complex and even if I can't stand them I am still invested in their story. My favorite series in her universe are the ones about Petaybee the sentient planet, the Crystal Singer trilogy and of course the Dragonriders of Pern. Sadly, Pern is not faring well under the heavy hand of Anne's son--I think his name is Tom. Just cannot read anything he writes--it is like the script from a bad 80's prime-time American soap.

Back