• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your favorite fantasy series

Wodan's Children series by Diana Paxson.

The Wolf and the Raven
The Lord of Horses
The Dragons of the Rhine

Robin Hobb's series, especially the ones that feature Fitz as the narrator.

Very good indeed.
I prefere the segond trilogie when Fitz get's to be a bit meaner.The fool serie.

She came back to the Liveship with a new trilogie.
The rain wild.

awww.fantasticfiction.co.uk_images_n57_n286857.jpg

Though i still have to finish the shaman's .

My favorite serie in fantasy is Glen Cook the black company.
Absolutly great.

The Shannara books are great. I get a great sense of nostalgia when reading them since they span over thousands of years and everything is so familiar.

I have the Farseer trilogy on the back burner until I finish a few other books.

oh, and a couple of pretty new really great fantasy reads are Peter V. Brett's The Warded Man and Patrick R.'s The Name of the Wind.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. However, I refuse to read anything else of his until he starts writing again. I will probably cheat and watch the HBO series that is under way.

My next favorite series is The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. These are great books individually and the story covers hundreds of characters over 10 books so far. The later books in the series have around 1200 pages so they are a good serious read.

The Belgariad and Mallorean by David Eddings

The Belgariad most definitely... but The Mallorean was really just a re-telling of The Belgariad from a different perspective. If you are an addict of The Belgariad and can't get enough, it's a good read to satisfy the cravings.

I have to recommend a couple of other series though - The FionavarTapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay;

The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (children's fantasy, but very good);

and the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg - very derivative and formulaic, but well written and a fun read.

I don't read much fantasy, but I like the Watcher series a lot, Night watch,day watch, twilight watch, last watch.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(Russian_novel)

I'm glad you mentioned the Watch series. I loved all four books. I wish more of his books would be translated into English.

Apart from the Watch series, I also enjoy:

The Nightside series by Simon R Green
The Hollows series by Kim Harrison
The Greywalker series by Kat Richardson
The Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston (sadly, book 5 is the final in this series)
The Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris

Aaaah!!! There are other bards on this site? Pellinorites are just so hard to find, even on tumblr...

I love A Song of Ice and Fire, The Lord of the Rings, Bartimaeus Trilogy, and Artemis Fowl. Will try to read Pellinor books after finishing Dark Tower series.

It's nice to read forums post like this, I wasn't aware about some books that you were saying, made me want to check it.
Mine are:
a game of thrones
the lord of the rings
the hobbit
harry poter
and of course george martin's books.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth saga. Despite his unpolished style I enjoy his stories and characters immensely. Plus his books were the first ones that really made me start reading fantasy on a regular basis.

I also really like Kushiel's Legacy by Jacqueline Carey. Her prose is beautiful and she has excellent worldbuilding skills. Also, Barb and JC Hendee's Noble Dead series is worth a look. It combines vampire fiction with sword and sorcery fantasy; quite interesting.

I'm with you there! I love the Sword of Truth series. I fell in love with Richard and Kahlan....and I wasn't a fantasy reader until Terry Goodkind. Now, its my favorite genre.

Bah, forgot about Discworld! Those are so funny (most of them; The Last Continent was boring as hell).

Now if we're talking about modern fantasy, then I'll go with Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files and Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter (despite its decline in quality). Kim Harrison's books aren't too bad either . . .

Discworld, that's Terry Pratchett right? I started these and enjoyed them for awhile, but I never went passed Mort. It got a little tedious for me. Perhaps this summer I'll finish the series. (Though I love Death, he's my favorite character!)

I just finished the Unseen series by Richie Tankersley Cusick. It was interesting, though the internal dialogue got a little wearisome at times. However the ending surprised me, which rarely happens. I would recommend them if you want a short series of books that you can read in a few days. It's an easy read.....

Back