• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your favourite bookshop / place to buy books

My favorite book store is in my home town of Placerville, California, called Hidden Passage Books. There is a section of the store with a glass floor, with a skeleton buried underneath. There is also a sign on the floor which reads: Paris Hilton's dog peed here. They sell items other than books, such as Edgar Allen Poe and Benjamin Franklin action figures.

I usually browse and buy through Barnes and Noble.com. I have a membership card, so I get discounts and they also sned me coupons from time to time.

I do like to go to their bookstore, sit and relax without kids, and other times I take the kids to treat them to new books when they've helped with chores or have done well with their schoolwork. B&N also has a summer reading program for kids.

We have a new Ottakars not too far away and I love it, even if it is not very large; it does have a coffee shop.

I have recently been trying out books from Amazon sellers. Sometimes it has been the easiest way to get OP books and sometimes they are amazingly cheap. I have been fortunate so far and have had some real bargains. :)

Wabbit said:
I'm going to put this image up onto my blog later today, but I want to share it here too. This is one of my very favourite places to buy books! I think it's probably unique in London! As you can see it's a fruit and vegetable shop that also sells second hand books. Many of them are only 99 pence. I love the combination of books and fruits! The scents and the colours mingling for my sight and sense of smell.

I can't get into the whole books and coffee thing, but I could make good use of a books and produce store. :)

well

howdy all...first post on here, but it is such a great thread i could not resist. i have envy for the 99 pence bookseller/fresh fruit combo for sure

online, you really cannot beat

www.booksxyz.com

cheaper than amazon, and the profits all go to schools

in person, i love finding bizarre things at yard sales and library sales..my hometown had a goodwill bookstore, which is used books and thrift store junk, i would spend hours in there just digging through tables

I buy books from loads of places. Mainly, I get the obsure fantasy and SF books I read from charity shops. I also go to two shops where that mainly sell second hand books but this is the only place I can get Raymond E. Feist's older books and Dragonlance books. All my new books come from shops or amazon, I even buy a few on ebay.

i generally go to the book store that is in the mall i'm in. in NJ i always went to the huuuge barnes and noble 15 min away. two stories, beautiful inside. lots of recliners. i loved it. it was open till early hours of the morning or so too. we'd go there at around 11 to relax when my mom would get home from work pretty late.

i've been to waldenbooks the most since i've moved. its branch off of borders and its incredibly small but i've successfully found books each time i looked i think. its pretty well stocked in the basics. the one bookstore in the outlet mall around here annoys me. its private, therefore censored. i avoid going there if i'm looking for anything specfic.

a week ago i went to borders and was in heaven. i just found everything, quickly i wanted, except an alklaine trio CD...

i really have no preference for book stores i suppose. i love them all.

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
lol, yah I love big stores too. it just doesn't feel crowded, and the staff isn't always breathing down your neck. lol

yeh thats definatly a big appeal for me.

The convenience, value and selection from on-liners such as Amazon?

I'd only ever buy from such places when im stockpiling books and do not need to read them this instant. I find shopping online to be generally very unenjoyable

Poking around in musky second hand shops looking for the ulitmate bargain?

I like the cheapness but there are few things sweeter than having a fresh pristine condition book in your hands.

I don't tend to read while in bookshops and i'd give my custom to those that have a varied selection and large aisles(nothing worse than being cramped). I tend to shop in hodgis figus/waterstones(one and the same parent company) for they meet my criteria.

I'm from Oakland Ca, USA. The best place for me is Half-Price books and Cody's. HP offers new and used at half the retail price and flippin awesome $1 section. Cody's sells books that you might not find at places like Barnes and Noble or Borders. Of course, the Salvation Army has those 50% off sales and I managed to snag Girl with the Pearl Earring, Interview with the Vampire, We were the Mulvaneys, and Ulysses practically all new for 25 cents each. Hell yeah!

I like Barnes and Noble for selection, often I buy online from them b/c they are a bit cheaper than Amazon and ship super fast. However, I've been trading my books on Paperbackswap.com and Titletrader.com which works out pretty well. As more people join, the selection improves so it is nice.

Back