• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your future at TBF - Poll

Your Forum Crystal Ball indicates:

• I just joined and I love this place, goin’ no where

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I’m perfectly happy with the way things are right now, no complaints

• I’m on my way out, it’s changed too much

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • One more major forum blowout will drive me away, can’t stand the drama

• I’m waiting to see who the new mods will be, and how their style will effect the forum

• I’m layin’ low for now, time will tell, I’m on the fence I guess…

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • A few more stupid threads/debates/polls in General Chat will drive me away

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m currently searching for some other playground to romp in

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I don’t understand the point of this poll. The forum is, what you make it

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Haven’t put much thought into any of this, most of this is normal forum life isn’t it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motokid

I’ve been a forum member almost all of 2005. Joined in January. I can only comment on what I’ve witnessed from my side of the computer screen. It appears to me that the forum has been pretty volatile on numerous occasions in 2005, to say the least. I understand it’s a living, breathing, changing, growing, shrinking, and evolving place to hang out. People will come and people will go, and change will happen on a regular basis. I have no idea if what I’ve witnessed is normal for a forum this size or not, and if what I’ve seen happen has been going on for years, or is unique to the time I’ve been here.

I’ve seen moderators quit, or be relieved from their post. I’ve seen longtime members get banned, and others just disappear. I’ve seen squabbles and arguments over silly things get out of control, and I’ve seen people’s feelings get hurt. Recently Darren has announced there will be new moderators. Many people don’t do well with change. Long time members pine for the “good old days”. If things change too much some members simply disappear. Find another place to play. TBF has definitely seen plenty of this in the last few months. Complete forum turmoil has been thrust into the public debate over a single thread or question on at least 2 different occasions in the last 6 months alone.

So what I want to know, either anonymously, or not, is where you see yourself in the next few months as a TBF member? Looking into your forum crystal ball you see…..

I am limited to 10 poll picks….feel free to add you own if there’s not a choice that fits your feelings.

There's something different here, can't put my finger on it. It just doesn't seem as vibrant, and it's as if a gray cloud has descended on the forum.

I have a few thoughts on this:

1. The forum has a self-defining culture, which has always weighed heavily toward popular literature (Potter, Koontz, Anne Rice) and silliness. I'm not really into that, so I tend to post sporadically and feel outside the main discussion. That's fine with me, but I'm not terribly interested in those threads.

2. It's really hard to adjust to the absence of old friends, particularly those who were banned, but that's all out of my control, so I just accept that too. However, it's a really negative aspect of the culture here that so many of the banned were also the most interesting, intelligent, lively posters. As a result, there's been a significant exodus by nonbanned members every time TBF does a purge. I assume this is welcome by the TBF admins; it seems to wipe out all discussion and fun for weeks. I think I've witnessed three of these events this year.

3. I'm really bored with long threads about being drunk, farting, etc., so I ignore those. I'm really bored with 'personal chat' spam cropping up in every thread.

4. I really enjoy the occassional in-depth review by someone like Mike (absentee), Ashlea, Ell, Ritalinkid, Stewart, and others (apologies for omitting anyone obvious) who seem to enjoy sharing their thoughts about what they're reading. So I continue to look for those.

5. I really enjoy General Chat discussions about the issues of the day (thanks Moto), and like to participate in those.

6. I don't understand those who lurk looking for things to object to. There are probably 5 or 6 such members doing that now.

great post novella....as usual
(even if I am the one who started one of the threads you don't like....)

Since the poll is anonymous I could tell you the truth or I could lie to your face and you would never know the difference.....I made the poll anonymous to try to get the best representation of honesty as possible.

I have not voted yet....is the answer to your question Miss Shelf...but I've no immediate plans to leave at this moment.

On balance I find that TBF is a very confortable place to be. I see that people here read much more popular fiction than I do, whereas I tend to read more serious non-fiction or the classics (and occasional manga, and occasional GN's and occasional detective stories, and so on). This is not a drawback in the overall scheme of things because I get my fix of 'serious' book discussion on another forum which seems to be skewed away from popular fiction. I especially appreciate that political and religious discussions are no-no's here because they absolutely tear up other forums I visit, and in one forum were always so violent as to just cause me to withdraw entirely. I suppose as a result of those discussions elsewhere I don't regard the turmoil here as anything so unusual; in fact it seems rather muted to me. I am not so bothered either by what people call spam here, because I've always seen off-topic side conversations and remarks in the middle of more focused general discussions. It's the spontaneous way friends relate when they encounter each other, is the way I view it.
So, reading back through that, I would say that TBF contains the good features a forum should have without any of the truly disruptive discussions that I see elsewhere.
I expect I'll be here for quite a while even though my own posting might sink to a lower level because of my reading habits.
But, overall, very happy. :) :) :)
Peder

Peder said:
On balance I find that TBF is a very confortable place to be. I see that people here read much more popular fiction than I do, whereas I tend to read more serious non-fiction or the classics (and occasional manga, and occasional GN's and occasional detective stories, and so on). This is not a drawback in the overall scheme of things because I get my fix of 'serious' book discussion on another forum which seems to be skewed away from popular fiction. I especially appreciate that political and religious discussions are no-no's here because they absolutely tear up other forums I visit, and in one forum were always so violent as to just cause me to withdraw entirely. I suppose as a result of those discussions elsewhere I don't regard the turmoil here as anything so unusual; in fact it seems rather muted to me. I am not so bothered either by what people call spam here, because I've always seen off-topic side conversations and remarks in the middle of more focused general discussions. It's the spontaneous way friends relate when they encounter each other, is the way I view it.
So, reading back through that, I would say that TBF contains the good features a forum should have without any of the truly disruptive discussions that I see elsewhere.
I expect I'll be here for quite a while even though my own posting might sink to a lower level because of my reading habits.
But, overall, very happy. :) :) :)
Peder

Peder, it's good to hear this perspective. I've not participated in lots of other forums, but in my experience TBF puts out a pretty warm welcome to newcomers, especially those who dive right into the posting. That's a really great attribute. I've also seen some of the flame-baiting and nastiness on other forums, which is really pointless.

When threads here stray into political and religious discussion, most posters stay on point and don't slam others opinions. While I think some people have a very low tolerance for such discussions under any circumstances, I find that, treated considerately, most people see the value of opening up life's bigger ideas and airing them out a little--not to take a confrontational position, but just to verbalize some ideas. Discussion of religion and politics are specifically off-limits, I know, but they can be essential discussions of philosophy and metaphysical ideals, not just right/wrong arguments. I understand if you disagree, but I think that lots of philosophical discussions here have been great, and it pains me when someone lurks around waiting to tag those threads as "political" "religious" or illegal in some other sense. That, to me, impinges on the potential of TBF for hosting real discussion.

novella said:
I think that lots of philosophical discussions here have been great, and it pains me when someone lurks around waiting to tag those threads as "political" "religious" or illegal in some other sense. That, to me, impinges on the potential of TBF for hosting real discussion.

Yes...very well said again novella....self policing is one thing, and a great thing...but self-sabotage is dangerous and frustrating as hell....

novella said:
...Discussion of religion and politics are specifically off-limits, I know, but they can be essential discussions of philosophy and metaphysical ideals, not just right/wrong arguments. I understand if you disagree, but I think that lots of philosophical discussions here have been great, and it pains me when someone lurks around waiting to tag those threads as "political" "religious" or illegal in some other sense. That, to me, impinges on the potential of TBF for hosting real discussion.

Umm,
I'm not sure that I disagree with whatever you think I disagree with. I have no problem with philosophical or metaphysical discussions, apart from frequently findng them boring. And I hope I am not someone to tag those threads as political, religious or illegal in any sense. I have very specific examples of offensive political and religious comments I have seen elsewhere which I am reluctant to offer here*, but they can in no way be confused with general philosophical or metaphysical or non-political observations.

*although I can, if clarification is needed, either in the forum or through PM

Very sorry if I offended you, :(
Peder

Peder said:
Umm,
I'm not sure that I disagree with whatever you think I disagree with. I have no problem with philosophical or metaphysical discussions, apart from frequently findng them boring. And I hope I am not someone to tag those threads as political, religious or illegal in any sense. I have very specific examples of offensive political and religious comments I have seen elsewhere which I am reluctant to offer here*, but they can in no way be confused with general philosophical or metaphysical or non-political observations.

*although I can, if clarification is needed, either in the forum or through PM

Very sorry if I offended you, :(
Peder

No no no. I think you misunderstood. You haven't offended me in any way. I was just taking what you said a step further, i.e., that sometimes discussions here stray into the political or religious and it turns out to be okay and interesting and rich with ideas. I wasn't referring to anything you've ever done, Peder. I too have read heated and truly hateful online arguments elsewhere, and I would hate to see those happen here.

So. . . I think we agree. I just wanted to say that some types of threads that border on the political are very constructive and insightful, from all sides. :)

I agree with pretty much everything that novella said, even though i read my share of popular litterature. The amount of personal chat spam feels doubly annoying when so many of the more interesting discussions are frowned upon.

But do we really need yet another "where is this forum going" thread? Seems like there has been quite a few of them lately.

Little too quite for your tastes around here moto? :)

Most of those poll options are pretty negative. I know, instead of complaints and stirring things up, how about posting something positive?

OK, shoot me down in flames now :p

Zolipara said:
But do we really need yet another "where is this forum going" thread? Seems like there has been quite a few of them lately.

Zolipara,
No, we really don't!
For as long as I can remember -- even back before the Internet, or before even TV -- the general advice for conversation in polite circles was always to avoid three topics: sex, religion and politics. The wisdom of that advice seems to have been proven yet again in that, by just mentioning two of the three forbidden words, I have provoked a discussion. And I sure hope it doesn't grow. :(

Sorry all,
Peder

Is it time for another session of forum navel gazing? Oh joy.

Motokid said:
where you see yourself in the next few months as a TBF member?
Hopefully, still conversing with intelligent people.

I'm new here, so can't make any comment on the way things are going, but it seems every forum I visit, or hang out at regularly has a group of "seniors" who say thing's aren't how they used to be, and that it's full of immature little kids, and no one talks about anything of worth anymore etc etc etc. Is that a coincidence with the forums I attend or do people just not like change anywhere?

I've been here less than a week but have found, so far, everyone to be welcoming and I quite like the atmosphere. Would have liked to have found y'all in TBF's "prime", as it seems to have passed.

I don't understand the backlash against the silly theads in general, they can be quite fun at times. If you don't want to read them, then don't, that's the way I see it. I'm still new, but I love this place, none of my RL friends read, and I love being able to talk about what I've read. I've also found I read a little more critically since I started posting here.

I've cut back drastically due to several circumstances, and now mainly focus on a select few threads which interest me personally. Quite a few close friends have left this place over the years, and that pains me.

I think the forum has outgrown me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back