• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your Most Memorable Sci-Fi Book(s)

Ender's Game
All the books by Douglas Adams

Odd, I never really think of Adams as a Sci-Fi author, I suppose ships floating in exactly the way bricks don't should have given it away though.

I wonder, is a parody of a genre a member of that genre?

Anyway, my favourites would be Dune (just the first - they deteriorate fairly quickly) and I am Legend.

Hi!
My favorite Sci-Fi book is "The Overlords of War" by Gerald Klein. I cannot say why, but that book gives me goosebumps every time I remember it. i guess it has something to do with meeting you alter ego and with the idea of consequence. And another I would call favorite in "Venus on a Half-Shelf" by Kilgore Trout. I recommend it to those who are in need of a good laughter and sick of serious things.

Although I read them some years ago, the books Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick. The themes and ideas conveyed in them will stay with me forever (hopefully; i thought they were amazing!).

So, what are your most memorable Science Fiction Books?

i think my fave scifi books hav 2b donaldsons the gap series but i also love anything by jack vance

I'm not sure anyone has said this, I didn't take the time read every post.

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlen

One of my all time favorite novels and a must read if you enjoy sci-fi.

I am trying to get back into reading all the classic SF novels I should have read years ago. Currently have Stranger in a Strange Land and Ringworld out from the library, and there are other great suggestions in this thread.

My personal faves (I think most have been mentioned here already):

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan
Night's Dawn Trilogy from Peter Hamilton

Here's another one for Ender's Game. That was undoubtedly my favorite Sci- fi book.

I read Dune and couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll have to try and re-read it since it's getting so much praise.

Farenheiht 451 by Bradbury, the first time I read it I was in 9th grade and I re-read it when I was 23, both times it cahnged my life.

Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End was hard-hitting and really hard to forget

Great book but the ending was a little weak I think.

1984 by George Orwell (that counts right?)
The Fountains Of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (can you tell I dig Bradbury?)
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (not even done with it but it's so good so far.)
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (my English teacher has never had a senior that disliked this book.)

I'm really going to step on some toes with this but does anyone else think that Speaker For The Dead just seemed like a lot of filler?

not most memorable,but latest is Allen Steele -Coyote is very,very good
also Tim Power -Anubis gate,very original.
Poul Anderson -High Crusade is hilarous

Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination (aka Tiger! Tiger!).

Philip K Dick - A Scanner Darkly. Ubik is great too.

Arthur C. Clarke - Rendezvous with Rama. Unfortunately, Rama II was terrible, so I didn't continue with the series after that. The first book is still great, though.

I guess you will have to let me know about Sci Fi you really like - those three would be fairly high up on my list.

Add Iain Banks - Look to Windward, William Gibson - Neuromancer, Stanislav Lem - Solaris, and OF COURSE, the short stories of James Tiptree Jr (does anybody still remember her?).

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
Stalker by Arkadi & Boris Strugatski

I have just finished Joe Haldeman's Forever War and found it quite an interesting read, although it doesn't have quite the impact now that it probably had back in the day.

Phil

I'm not a Sci-Fi reader except for the Voyager series but one book I will never forget is Andreas Eschbach's "Quest":

"The Empire of Gheera is doomed to be destroyed. The Pantap's defense forces have no chance against the powerful legions of the legendary Star Emperor, whose hunger for power knows no limits. The final fall is only a question of time.

In this situation, Commander Eftalan Quest, a grim, ambitious man, who leads his spacecraft MEGATAO unrelentingly, starts out for an almost hopeless expedition: He wants to find the mythical Planet Of Origin - the world where, as the tales tell, all life in universe once began.

But there are still other legends about this world..."

Since I read it first in German, I've re-read it twice. I absolutely love it !

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight. I was in elementary school and had been given books to read by my parents (my mother kept giving me classics). I was so excited to realize that there were other kinds of books out there - and books way more interesting than what my mother had been giving me to read. This book is part of what ensured that I remained a reader past middle and high school.

Love that whole series, even though her son has taken over they are good (I have only read one of his.)

Roadside Picnic by Boris & Arkady Strugatsky

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks

The Player of Games by Iain M Banks

Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson

The War of the World by HG Wells

Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne

Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson

I'm so glad someone mentioned Frankenstein because that is such a great one. I read Fahrenheit 451 a couple months ago and absolutely loved it! I've now added more of Bradbuy to my TBR list.

I've read Enders Game but I don't remember much about it - looks like it's time for a re-read.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

My Teacher is an Alien.

Frankenstein.

Fahrenheit 451.

Brave New World.

The Left Hand of Darkness.

Woman on the Edge of Time.

The Female Man.

And a few hundred more.

Back