• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

your parents birds and the bees talk

My mother was uptight and did not talk about "sex" - she used scare tactics. I'll leave it at that.

I'm a single mother with a 3 year old son - I have no idea what I'll say to him or when I'll say it.

That article is truly horrifying. And who let the 12 year old name her own child 'T-Jay'. Ew!! I know both a guy and a girl called TJ, but both are abbreviated versions of their first two names, like Trevor James.

Edit: I just noticed that it was the YOUNGEST daughter who gave birth first. You don't reckon the other two girls realised what they were doing when their sister was pregnant? I mean, surely having a 12 year old sister being pregnant is enough sex ed for anyone. I smell a bit of a rat here - youngest child starts getting attention for her pregnancy, starts getting child support, and the other daughters think, "hey, that's not so bad...". Call me cynical, but...

Renee, the way I see it you have about 4 or 5 years to figure it out (how to tell him about sex), then maybe another year to impliment your plan. Don't wait much longer than that.

According to your "bio":

Birthday:
February 1, 1966
Biography:
I'm a college student, currently seeking a BA in Anthropology. I may minor in Native American or Asian studies.
Interests:
nature photography, drawing, hiking
college student

You're roughly 39 years old, single Mom with 3 year old, and a full time student??? Ummmm, if you don't mind me askin'....how ya workin' that deal?
If it's none o' my biznezz that's cool. Just curious.

And what does one do with a degree in Anthropology these days? Teach?

Hope you don't mind me pry'in a bit. Nothing personal. :D :D

Motokid said:
....how ya workin' that deal?

And what does one do with a degree in Anthropology these days? Teach?

Hope you don't mind me pry'in a bit. Nothing personal. :D :D
We'll start with the easy stuff first. What does one do with an Anthropology degree? It depends on the level of degree but you can work in research, archaeology, study different cultures, teach, museum curating, social work, forensics work, work for the park service, work for federal or state agencies, . . . the list is actually really long. Because of the focus on critical thinking and communications an anthropology degree can open up a wide range of doors - it all depends on the types of classes you chose to focus on.

How am I, a 39 year old single parent pulling this off? I'm agoraphobic with other anxiety disorders. I subsist off disability. I live in low-income housing for people with umm . . . mental illnesses. I qualify for financial aid for classes though I'm stuck paying most of the expense for daycare. I only had two classes, two days a week.

Aren't you glad you asked? :eek:

"Aren't you glad you asked? "

Actually, yes.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you succeed in everything you work for.
You obviously have a goal, and are working towards reaching it. That's admirable. And to be doing that, and raising a small child by yourself puts you up a notch on the admirable scale too.

What are your specific plans for a degree in anthropology? What would you like to do once you get the Associates degree?

What are your specific plans for a degree in anthropology? What would you like to do once you get the Associates degree?

Go to Disney World! Not really - I haven't made a decision. I like doing research and I could spend hours sorting through things noting details. Whatever I do I'm hoping to use my art or photography skills to do it.

If I win the lottery I could get my BA immediately after getting my AA and I could minor in Asian studies then run away to China and play with the Monks or something. Or something.

Back