• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Zoe Sharp - Riot Act (review)

Nakmeister

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but having just finished this, thought I'd post a brief review. Riot Act is Zoe Sharp's second novel, and it's a crime thriller set in Lancaster, a small historic city in the north west of England (which happens to be where I live). I first found out about Zoe Sharp when at a Lee Child book signing in Manchester a few months ago.

Riot Act features a woman called Charlie Fox. She's a self-defense expert, loves her motorbike, and is ex-army (special forces). She's house sitting (and dog sitting) for a friend on a very rough estate. There's quite a bit of racial tension, gang warfare and the like on the estate, but there's also something more going on behind the scenes, as Charlie soon realises. While trying to look after her friend's house, stay out of trouble and try and figure out what's going on, Charlie Fox runs into a someone from her army past, and of all the people in the world, he's one of the last she would have wanted to see again...

Riot Act is a different sort of crime novel. This isn't about some detective trying to solve a crime, but someone who's been thown into the middle of a very bad situation and finds that the only way out involves figuring out what's going on. I partly enjoyed this because of where it was set, but it's also extremely well written and hooked me from start to finish.

Am back on Lee Child now, now they really do hook me!

Nakmeister

Back