• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

10 Best "Thrilling" Movies

muggle

Ok, how about another 10 best list. :) I read somewhere that these are the 10 best Thrilling movies as selected by the American Film Institute. What are your 10 best "Thrilling" movies, or do you agrre with the list.

The 10 most thrilling films made in America
(As selected by the American Film Institute: 6/13/01)
1. Psycho (1960)
2. Jaws (1975)
3. The Exorcist (1973)
4. North by Northwest (1959)
5. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
6. Alien (1979)
7. The Birds (1963)
8. The French Connection (1971)
9. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
10. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

I certainly don't agree with this insular list. :mad:

That it had the cheek to be labelled "Ten Best 'Thrilling' Movies" is an insult to cinema worldwide.

I'd like to know what defines the thriller genre. Several of the titles on this list are ones I'd consider to be horror. And while I love North By Northwest, I've always thought of if as a mystery rather than a thriller, despite the classic Hitchcock touches. Just wondering.

CDA said:
Ridiculous.

Reminds me of this.
Too funny! But, I sort of thought England, Scotland, and Ireland still had dragons too:D

psst! there's commies just up the road...

I'd like to know what makes it American, given that Alfred Hitchcock (three listed) and Roman Polanski are, of course, not America. Is it the cash put up?

From the AFI site:
T
o be eligible, according to the rules, the 400 nominated films had to be:
  • U.S. made
  • feature-length fiction films
  • films whose thrills have "enlivened and enriched America's film heritage"
  • jurors were asked to also consider "the total adrenaline-inducing impact of a film's artistry and craft," regardless of the genre

Stewart said:
I'd like to know what makes it American, given that Alfred Hitchcock (three listed) and Roman Polanski are, of course, not America. Is it the cash put up?

Maybe CDA's onto something, and it's just a case of the list being made by a bunch of ego-centric Americans. As in, no non-americans were polled.

You know, you'd think on an internet forum dedicated to reading, people would be able to scan the title
muggle said:
The 10 most thrilling films made in America
and not subsequently froth at the mouth because 'Hard Boiled' isn't on the list. But apparently not...

It wasn't in the thread's title, Kenny. ;)

Off topic, Kenny, thanks for introducing me to John Fante. :)

Back