• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

SFG75

I want to see this one really bad. I'm a big history buff and the Battle of Thermopylae makes a great film subject. I guess the Iranian government is complaining that it constitutes psychological warfare against them.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if you are an history buff, just keep in mind that the movie is based on a graphic novel inspired on the battle of thermopylae and not based on the battle itself
i cant wait to see it either, hope they release it soon in my country :)

I seen the trailer for it on Sunday night prior to Hot Fuzz and I sort of knew it wasn't for me. It looks like one of those style over substance efforts that I can do without. And what's with the silly looking monsters?

I guess the Iranian government is complaining that it constitutes psychological warfare against them.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh, come on. If that were true, Hollywood would have been making movies about war with Russia during the cold war and about terrorism in the last 5-6 years. ;)

Here's a brief review from someone who didn't like the movie. Then again, I kinda like Dune, so...
Finally, a few words about 300, mostly to come to the defense of Erik Davis, who is taking quite a beating for his negative review. Remember that scene in David Lynch's Dune where Sting, at his overacting worst, screams "I will kill him!"? Now imagine a film where every single line is uttered with the same bombastic fervor, whether deserved or not. This is what 300 delivers, and ridiculous doesn't begin to describe it. With laughable attempts at Shakespearian dialog, this is a film that will appeal only to adolescent fanboys or enthusiasts of greased, half-naked men fighting each other. Forty minutes was all I could manage. 300 might just be the new Showgirls.

I seen the trailer for it on Sunday night prior to Hot Fuzz and I sort of knew it wasn't for me. It looks like one of those style over substance efforts that I can do without. And what's with the silly looking monsters?

Ahmadinejad made a guest appearance?:D

I saw this last night. It is indeed style over substance.

There is absolutely no characters--no characters you care about--all pure action, in the grainy, cgi work of Frank Miller's; I like. But the only reason I liked it is because it looks exactly like a comic book, even though the surrounding was distracting at times, and the actors did not appear to be inside the enviroment, and the overexcess of slow-motion. There was absolutely no tension.

Other than that, it's great; like a painting.

Rapheal no, Donaltello no, Leonardo no, Michaelangelo no (that's the Fountain); but along the lines of Vangoh and Picasso, yes.

Eh, I'd been really wanting to see it, but after some of the things I've been hearing about, I'm not sure I want to. There's the character thing people here have mentioned, and then there's the historical accuracy. I mean, I'm all for a little elaborating or exaggeration, but for God's sake,
the 300 won Thermopylae in real history, which was impressive enough. I don't know why the writers of this thing decided that the characters representing them would lose. How stupid.

No they didn't. They lost. Where'd you learn your history?

Just watch it for the visuals.

It's cool. :D

The 300 lost as eyezonme said. Thats about the only thing thats historically accurate in this movie.

I disliked 300 to the point at which I thought it was necessary to create a blog to share my feelings about it. To be succinct, not a fan.

1. Sparta was a loosely based constitutional monarchy. The King did the executive; there was a legislative body and a judicial body. Over time the legislative body became more and more democratic, in the Republican Democratic sense (the opposite of Athenian mass democracy). The King's role was limited to minor judicial and religious ceremonial stuff, and foriegn policy. We really don't know much about the actual system's intricacies, simply because the Spartans issued orders and laws orally, and didn't write much down.

2. What we know of Sparta mostly comes from what the Athenians, who were amongst the first true historians. The Spartans just didn't do history. And to be honest, both of them didn't really like each other. So there's always a grain of salt that we need to take when reading Athenian sources on Sparta.

3. The real Thermopylae had King Leonidas sacrifice his 300 man force in the passageways of the Hot Gates in order to protect the rest of the 6,700 man Greek army that was fighting alongsides them (which had been outflanked). The goal of both armies was to hold the Persians off long enough for the rest of the Greek City States to marshall their forces; earlier that year, Athens had already been burned down. Greeks were participating in the Olympics, and none of them wanted to join the army. They were all really, really pissed off.

4. It really is a fantasy retelling of the story of the 300 Spartans. Frank Miller and Zack Snyder had no intentions of making the film/comic book completely 100% accurate. The Oracles were myth, Epihaltes was never a hunchback, there were no ogre giants, rhinos, or elephants in Xerxes army. And it's stylized to BE a visual comic book, just like Sin City.

5. King Leonidas and the Spartans really were fighting for freedom and their country. They were not an autocratic government by any means- The Spartans, and the other Greek City States considered themselves free people, who lived under the rule of civil law, and not a God-Emperor like Xerxes. They fully well knew that they'd be nothing more than slaves under the Persians, who had already shown them their brutality on the battlefield.

For reference, please do read the works of Victor Davis Hanson and Donald Kagan - classical military historians who have extensively covered the Greek-Persian and Peleponnisian Wars. They both view 300 as a fantasy retelling of the real Thermopylae - and they realize that the film makes no bones about it.

If you want a war movie that is based on facts, go watch Band of Brothers. If you want a movie that is a great movie which reinforces our values and delivers kickass action all at once, see 300.

Zack Snyder, director, said he wasn 't striving for historical accuracy. He was making a film that would appeal to a mass "Hollywood" type audience. He definitely got that (300 is at the top of the box office for it's 2nd consecutive week).

I thought the movie was pretty. And fun. But the dialogue, as others have mentioned was nothing special. It's like super hero comic book dialogue.

I liked the style of the movie, but did not like the movie. I have never been so tempted in my entire life to walk out of a movie. Yet the general public I am sure does not share my opinion cuz I am sure most of them enjoy going to a movie and seeing random stupid nude scenes that don't even add to the movie. And taking their 10 year old to see it.

hey watch the bright side, with so many people complaining about its innacuracies, guys who found interesting the movie, might feel curious about whats the acurate version and actually pick a book

*reads the thread up to this point* Am I such an oddity for actually liking this movie? It seems like everyone else really dislikes it.

Back