• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

40k words enough?

I decided I wasn't done yet...

Jazzman said:
I'm not saying to be arrogant and totally dismiss anything your publisher advises and at the same time I'm not saying to show yourself to be a desperate sycophant who will do just about anything to get a check.
Just what the **** [expletive added] are you trying to say, then? You are saying to be "arrogant" by telling writers to take a stand on their word count choices despite what an agent/editor/publisher thinks is the right choice, and to be a "desperate sycophant who will do just about anything to get a check" by taking this stance and shoving it back into his or her agent's/editor's/publisher's face.

Jazzman said:
You stand by your beliefs and thoughts.
This is a good "Confusious Say" fortune cookie quote. While I do believe this to be true, I also believe that although one thinks he/she is making a right choice (word count, for example), that does not necessarily mean that he/she is making the right choice. I've seen too many aspiring authors bitch and moan when someone critiques their work for the first time. "What do you mean my sentences ramble?", "What the heck is a hanging participle? It's fine how it is...", "Why is my paper bleeding with red ink when my mom told me it's perfect?"

Jazzman said:
If strong self-confidence in your own work is a daunting or uncomfortable attribute to your publisher, then you should probably find another one.
This will be a life-long search...

Jazzman said:
At present, many people have this weird idea that any good literary work must be lengthy.
Who?

Jazzman said:
Publishers are the first to push this idea too in many cases because they think people only buy long novels in order to get their money's worth.
There are few publishers that publish novels over 110,000 words, unless the author in question is on their best-sellers list. This fits with the basic desired novel length of 60,000 - 110,000 words for first time authors. This also goes both directions for length. How many novelettes or novellas do you see on bookstore shelves? How many epic novels from first-time authors do you see on these same shelves? The answer to both questions: none.

Jazzman said:
To use a modern example, why is it that J.K. Rowling's novels had each gotten longer and longer as her popularity increased? The answer is obviously because people want to read more and more about Harry Potter but is anyone asking that if the latest novels were half the length, would the story and impact on people be twice as good? It's an interesting thought....
Think of this... if Rowling had decided to split her books into 10 or 11 Harry Potter works, instead of the 7 (4 of them being quite lengthy), do you think all 10 or 11 smaller books would sell as insanely as the 7 hefty ones? Of course they would. And Rowling would richer than Billy Gates.

Jazzman said:
The publishing game is without a doubt a shrewd business...
Very shrewd. It's a freakin' jungle filled with wild freakin' beasts.

Jazzman said:
... and I hope you find the answer to your problem more within your own self rather than from someone else.
:confused:

I think Jazzman has crawled back from whence he came.

44 posts in 8 months, and he has to use one of them to spout this insanity? And on one of my threads!

I should have left the expletive in!

(would I have been warned for calling someone a "smug prick"?)

I don't continue to reply in posts with close-minded idiots. You guys aren't even trying to see my point of view. This conversation is over.

Jazzman said:
I don't continue to reply in posts with close-minded idiots. You guys aren't even trying to see my point of view. This conversation is over.

Had you presented your point of view as such, with less arrogance and condescension, maybe there actually would have been a conversation.

The problem here is you are not presenting an opinion. You are trying to disprove a fact. I challenge you to find a published person on this forum who thinks your approach is sound.

You jumped into this thread and presented a complete falsehood as if it were a logical conclusion, a commonly known fact; you then proceeded to insult those on the thread by insinuating that we are somehow inferior or that we lack moral courage because we comply with publisher's guidelines. You are wrong, you are smug, and you are a prick. Go away!

I would also be elated if you were to refrain from posting at all. Ever. At the very least, I would hope you would avoid my narrow-mindedness and stay off of my threads.

Now this conversation is over.

Good day, sir.

I said Good Day!

sirmyk said:
Since this thread is finished... I'm off to chase a cat while chanting, "Hey, Willie! Ha!"

Sadly, I get this joke!

(and is it just me, or are Senator Lieberman and Willie the same guy?)

To answer your original post, If you're happy with it, I believe your best bet is to submit the manuscript and see what happens. If a publisher/agent or whatever likes it, but asks you to lengthen it, then do it. They know the business - it's how they make their living. I recently acquired the services of an agent, but before she took me on, she wanted me to revise and change some of my novel. I did it, and now I believe (as does she) that it's better for it.

If you're lucky, some of the people you send it to might comment and offer suggestions - most probably won't, but listen to those that do.

Shaun said:
If a publisher/agent or whatever likes it, but asks you to lengthen it, then do it. They know the business - it's how they make their living. I recently acquired the services of an agent, but before she took me on, she wanted me to revise and change some of my novel. I did it, and now I believe (as does she) that it's better for it.
Congratulations on finding an agent. Aren't you glad you didn't tell her where to stick it?

uh oh.

It looks like "Not_SirMyk" might be rearing his ugly head again...

Thanks, Shaun. Your suggestion is probably what I will end up doing.

I am amazed that when your agent asked you to change some things, you didn't tell them to bite you! Don't you feel like a sell out?

(sorry, can't help beating a dead horse!)

Thanks. As I said, her suggestion did make the novel better, so it was good advice that I didn't mind taking. It did take a lot of rewriting as it changed a major part of the story, but it was worth it. Now I have a better story and an agent. Good luck with your novel.

leckert said:
It looks like "Not_SirMyk" might be rearing his ugly head again...
N'ah... I only missed the bugger and thought to take over his avatar. Actually, I logged in to the not_sirmyk account just to see if it was still active (and it was!) and then made a strange post... which, of course, was jumped on right away (deleted) by the moderators on this forum (like a wild beast thrown cube steak) and they threatened with a possible second warning. I think the post I made was actually a third thread titled "Warp 9, Engage!" with the text simply "Ahh... Dammit!!!" or something similar. Trying to have some fun then WHAM! right in the back of the head with a damned shovel again...

Seems to be the MO.

So, does your fun meter have an "impending shovel" indicator on it? You should have one installed if it doesn't!

Back